• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Drawbacks on installing bodykits, 2002 mod, etc.

Do any of the fellow NSX owners out there have any cons to share with installing different bodykits, 2002 mod, etc? I just want to have an idea what to expect afterwards.

No, I installed the rear lip diffuser of the 2002 on my '92 underneath the rear spoiler and it fitted very nicely. Another NSX has a 2002 rear bumper, and that thing looks so good. The problem is that it won't fit on any car that has a dual tip exhaust system, such as the RM, special-made FlowMaster.... I got a dual tip; as such, I won't be able to make the switch.

1TITENSX said:
Do any of the fellow NSX owners out there have any cons to share with installing different bodykits, 2002 mod, etc? I just want to have an idea what to expect afterwards.

If you install something that's to low, be prepared for scraping, paint chipping and/or cracking, and generally a hard time to ride around on unlevel grounds. I'm not saying it will happen, but that's something you should be prepared for.
Regards
Z

Installing aftermarket bumpers such as Marga Hills etc may result in removal of the "steel bar" which protects the car in a collision. Also, think twice about replacing your fenders with fiberglass ones :p . Lastly, some NSX bodykits are notorious for their fitment issues...

None of the front bumper covers I am aware of remove the factory crash beam in the front as it is integral to attachment of the shell on to the body. Fitment and overall quality does vary from manufacture to manufacture. If you have any questions on a specific product, let us know.

Cheers,
-- Chris

USE QUALITY PARTS, AND HAVE A REPUTABLE COLLISION REPAIR FACILITY INSTALL THE PANELS WITH A WARRANTY.IM SURE YOU WILL BE PLEASED WITH THE RESULTS. GOOD LUCK,I HOPE YOU POST PICS! IM NOT A WINGS WEST FAN ,POOR QUALITY.:cool:

AUTOBODY TECH...WHEN YOU TYPE IN ALL CAPS it means you're yelling....try to keep it down, your neighbours may be sleeping:D

autobody tech said:
USE QUALITY PARTS, AND HAVE A REPUTABLE COLLISION REPAIR FACILITY INSTALL THE PANELS WITH A WARRANTY.IM SURE YOU WILL BE PLEASED WITH THE RESULTS. GOOD LUCK,I HOPE YOU POST PICS! IM NOT A WINGS WEST FAN ,POOR QUALITY.:cool:

I happened to love WW parts saved for the rear spat.

I agree that for the cost of the kits for the nsx, they should be better quality, but for $40,000? i guess that american dollars? For that amount i would have issues with my crash repair shop, silly boy. Makes me miss my guys back home they were awesome.
Findon crash repairs in Adelaide, Australia, they're the only place to go! Locality pending ;)

I have to agree with the person who stated fit, fit, fit. That is the most important aspect of bodywork. The paint you can always redo if there is overspray or other flaws, but the bodywork is the crucial factor. Also, when you have bodywork done, you have to make sure that your shop is not getting rid of stock parts that you need. For example, when I had the Comptech widebody kit installed, my bodyshop did not put the splash guards back on - because they didn't fit. But it turns out that I really needed the splash guards. The result? Like clockwork, my battery would die every time it rained. I reported this to the dealership, and they had a crazy look on their face like what are you talking about? Well, after working on the car for while the tech said, you know, you're right - becasue your splash guards are missing, water is getting up into your electrical system. When it rained, my stereo would cut out, my lights started to flash and my battery would die. Not something you want to happen. The point is that I hadn't realized that my bodyshop removed my splash guards and didn't replace them with wide ones that fit. So, you have to watch out for stuff like that.

Are most NSX body kits hard-mounted or soft-mounted?

Hard mount usually has a metal strip fiberglassed onto the body panel and the metal strip is bolted directly to the frame. Soft mount usually has the body panel isolated from the bolt and the frame by floating on rubber bushings.

Side-skirts and front spoiler require 4 bolts each, along with some double-sided tape.

Just make sure you get referred to a good body guy. Usually it will take some engineering and artistic skill that is beyond joe blow if you want an unreal fit. I had a 300z and when I gave my painter the side skirts he actually bondo'd it in to make the fit completely smooth. I didn't even ask him to do it. It looked amazing as if the car came out of the factory, that's what you want. I

bought my nsx it has some skirts that look a bit like stacy, I think they look tacked on although I am sure they are very expensive and the install is not bad but I plan to get them integrated to the body and not held on with tape and screws. You can expect a good paintjob with kit could run 10k+ but if you work hard at getting referred you can do it < 5k. Personally, I would repaint the entire car not just the panels but that's just me. If you have a basic color it should be ok.

Every piece of the kit needs special attention to look stock, usually ground down and sometimes almost remolded with bondo and in extreme circumstance with fibreglass. My advice is don't choose pieces that don't look like it could have possibly came with the car to start IMHO.

I happened to love WW parts saved for the rear spat.

My paint/body guy does not normally like aftermarket parts but likes my WW stuff!
Interesting, the "used" WW kit I bought had fiberglass spats (so I don't klnow if they are WW brand as everything else is urethane).

The OP finished his widebody build a long time ago and sold it in 2012, some 9 years after this initial inquiry.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/114755-1991-Black-Black-Sorcery-Widebody-NSX-75K-miles-for-38-000-VIN-JH4NA1268MT002995

Just make sure you get referred to a good body guy. Usually it will take some engineering and artistic skill that is beyond joe blow if you want an unreal fit. I had a 300z and when I gave my painter the side skirts he actually bondo'd it in to make the fit completely smooth. I didn't even ask him to do it. It looked amazing as if the car came out of the factory, that's what you want. I

bought my nsx it has some skirts that look a bit like stacy, I think they look tacked on although I am sure they are very expensive and the install is not bad but I plan to get them integrated to the body and not held on with tape and screws. You can expect a good paintjob with kit could run 10k+ but if you work hard at getting referred you can do it < 5k. Personally, I would repaint the entire car not just the panels but that's just me. If you have a basic color it should be ok.

Every piece of the kit needs special attention to look stock, usually ground down and sometimes almost remolded with bondo and in extreme circumstance with fibreglass. My advice is don't choose pieces that don't look like it could have possibly came with the car to start IMHO.

my ww sides were too long and i sent them back ! they charged me a restock fee,,,my body shop accually sent pics of the long skirt to them,,i sent them back and they said they tried them and the length was correct ,,they said my body shop...who repairs porche audi mercedes lexus banged up cars was the issue!! i purchased the identical sides from car id,,then my body guy fused it with the factory skirt ,,,looks amazing,,as far as the rear valence ,,down force is good but require some mod to get to fit perfect,so for the cost of valence and fit correction,,get the factory 2002 valence from sos ,,i would if i had to do it again,,but i do love the downforce also

Back