• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dream fulfilled! '02 Black/Red

After what seems like ages lurking on Prime and checking out Craigslist, eBay, and Autotrader daily, I've finally got my dream car! I talked with the seller and being satisfied that he was meticulous in maintenance, I booked a redeye flight out to Cali. On the way to the airport, a red NA1 appeared - a good omen!
photo 1 (2) by bb6typesh, on Flickr
Seller even had the same year and color Prelude as me. talk about great taste! Made it there and back in 27 hours. If you ever have to sleep in SFO, go to the yoga room and bring a blanket!!
photo 3 (2) by bb6typesh, on Flickr
photo 5 (2) by bb6typesh, on Flickr
Bit dusty on delivery, but safe and sound!

The car is Berlina Black with New Pure Red interior, one of only 13 in the color combo. Another black/red '04 on eBay recently sold for $54.6 with 46k miles but I missed my chance on that one.

Having a white BB6 Prelude (hence the username), my initial search was for a facelift GPW. But after searching for a while I realized that black just looked better to me.
Brylek's amazing shot of Jake's BB was my inspiration.
Jake's Berlina Black NSX in Milwaukee, Wi - May 26, 2014 by brylek6, on Flickr

With 88K on the clock, it's been well taken care of and all the major services were done by Shad @ Driving Ambition @ 75K, plus a new Sos clutch with only 400 miles. New brakes, tires, and front lip too. Mods are Swift springs, a Momo Tuner steering wheel, and SoS rapid shift knob. Plus Comptech headers and exhaust (V2 I think). The radio has been changed to a double DIN unit but I am looking to do a radio delete and run my iPhone directly through the amps.

A few things will be done to refresh the interior:

-New red floormats, speaker grills and side garnishes ordered from oemacuraparts.com
-Center console and door trim could be in better shape, looking for advice on refurbishing these in OEM "Bright Brown" color.
-Leatherique the seats (they are in amazing condition for being perforated but the usual wear areas need attention).
-Shampoo the carpets. They are a bit faded in areas so if shampoo doesn't work I may try dyeing.
8 by bb6typesh, on Flickr
photo 15 by bb6typesh, on Flickr

The exterior only needs a few minor touches:

-Front and back non-filled H-emblems on order from SoS. This is done to respect Honda racing heritage and just seems right to me. Looking for H center caps too.
-Polish and Opticoat will be done by Greg @ Signature Detailing. He has done my other cars and is one of the best in the business.
-At some point I would like to return the calipers back to the OEM bronze color.
-Racing Brake 2-piece rotors in stock size for less unsprung weight (should be 10lbs lighter than OEM for all 4)
-Had a new Difflow diffuser ready to install but I'm on the fence about it now. Might be too aggressive for my goals.

Conclusion:

I am lucky to have a supportive wife and be able to afford such a luxury. In the near future LarryB will do an initial checkup and make sure everything is as it should be. LarryB and everyone I've dealt with in the Prime community has been supportive and helpful, and I hope I can contribute a small part also! See you around!

Alex

nsx1 by bb6typesh, on Flickr

Last edited:
Jaw Dropping!

Congratulations Alex. Enjoy the heck out of it, it is stunning.

Lucas

P.S. While I was discussing with my girlfriend about pulling the trigger on my soon to be NSX, a berlina black NSX drove by me. At that point it was case closed. A great omen indeed.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the family.

Congratulations!! Car looks great!!

Wow - great looking NSX ! Love the smile on your face - had same look for weeks (months . . .) every time I got behind the wheel. Looks super - enjoy and welcome. Jay

Thanks for the compliments and warm welcome everybody. I was hesitant to buy the red interior sight unseen but it does look great in person. Seems richer than ITR red.

@Lucas: Sometimes all it takes is a little positive confirmation!

@bobert486: Yes it was the Sacramento car. Niello Acura did the PPI and gave it a clean bill of health. The previous owner had a spotless garage and took immaculate care of it. He told me he had to fend off a bunch of potential buyers while waiting the couple days for me to arrive.

@Jay: Thanks, hopefully the smile doesn't ever wear off!

" Brylek's amazing shot of Jake's BB was my inspiration." I think its the look we all strive for seriously that pic is so hot

welcome to the NE region of the nsxca......make sure to join so you will be hooked into our events.

Looks great. So did you get this one for less than the $55k of the 04 you mentioned since it has much higher miles and is older? I think the S2000 caps will work on the wheels, Payam was running them but I forget the part number.

Jealous! That thing is sexy!

Congrats and welcome Alex! Love that red interior! See you around tri-state............

Frankie

Congrats Alex! I was talking to the owner the day before you showed up since I happened to be within an hour's drive of him that weekend, but he said you had already done a PPI and booked a flight so he wasn't going to sell it to anyone else until you had your shot at it. Looks like you got a nice car at a great price.

99608-napoleon-dynamite-sweet-gif-tu-GIM6.gif

Lucky...............

Back