• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Drive train weak link

Hey Primers, just wondering what the next weak link in the drive train is after boosting the engine horsepower. I see all kinds of topics about increasing the engine horsepower but never anything about making the rest of the drive train compatible. Did Honda really over design the gear box, rear end and half shafts to handle double the original horsepower? I have never heard about any failures in this area, so please post whether there is need to increase the strength of anything from the engine to the wheels other than the clutch. Thanks.

The issue is going to be the 4.55 gear set. They were noted to be weak. Also, now with the HP, you don't really need them, better to get the stock gears and take advantage of the better mileage, quieter cruising noise and more efficient use of the power.

The next weak link will be the half shafts,if you can get the traction you will break the tripod on the outside of the shaft(closest to the wheel) on either side.After that the weak link will be third gear as I am sure others will confirm this. That is as far as I have gotten but I am sure there is more to come?

Hey Primers, just wondering what the next weak link in the drive train is after boosting the engine horsepower. I see all kinds of topics about increasing the engine horsepower but never anything about making the rest of the drive train compatible. Did Honda really over design the gear box, rear end and half shafts to handle double the original horsepower? I have never heard about any failures in this area, so please post whether there is need to increase the strength of anything from the engine to the wheels other than the clutch. Thanks.

It totally depends on what you're doing. mrbozo probably knows from experience but he's putting the MOST pressure on the car. Hard launches with slicks. The drivetrain can take a lot more if it can release the load and spin the tires or simply increase the car's speed AT SPEED. It's only when you hookup on a hard launch that you need to worry the most. I'm glad he's finding out for the rest of us though.

Last edited:
It totally depends on what you're doing. mrbozo probably knows from experience but he's putting the MOST pressure on the car. Hard launches with slicks. The drivetrain can take a lot more if it can release the load and spin the tires or simply increase the car's speed AT SPEED. It's only when you hookup on a hard launch that you need to worry the most. I'm glad he's finding out for the rest of us though.
Glad I could help out. LOL

Back