• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

driver's door latch broke

I just had a little problem with the x. It appears that my drivers side door latch won't open the door anymore. It seems like there is something binding inside the latch mechanism. The latch will not even extend all the way. Anyway. I tore apart the door to try to disassemble the door latch. It turned out to be harder than expected to get that part off. I'll try again tomorrow in the daylight. Anyone have this problem. I also was able to get some light on the inner working of the latch, it does look like a rod is loose, but I can't get to it.

Nick

Originally posted by smoothf1:
I also was able to get some light on the inner working of the latch, it does look like a rod is loose, but I can't get to it.

Nick

Just a few words of caution... the rear sash assembly costs ~500 to replace, so be very careful when pulling that "rod" out.

If I remember correctly, there is a clip that holds it in. After taking the clip out, the L shaped rod is still quite hard to disconnect from the latch mechanism.

Thanks Joeschmo for the advice. I finally fixed it today. You're right the L-shaped rod is really difficult to detach, I was afraid that I would break the plastic grommet (sp?) so I didn't detach the rod. It made working on the latch really difficult. The problem was that the 2 screws that anchored the rod in was missing! I can't believe that both screws would fall out at the same time. I found some old screws and replaced them. I did slight scratch the paint job near the handle in the process
frown.gif
. Oh well that door already has other little nicks. Once again the repair book pays for itself. Unfortunate I'm really getting to know the innards of that driver's side door. (fixit thingy, slow window, broken door handle(inside), security light burned out)

------------------
'91 Black NSX
'87 Jumbo Jet :)

Back