• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Drivers side interior door handle snapped!

I'm stuck trying to take the broken piece off. :frown: I was able to unscrew the two little screw but not the one in the picture. Well...it's not screw or nut. It could be something that snaps on but I don't want to put too much force and break something else. Can someone help? Thanks.

You are right. It's a circular push-on clip that holds the metal shaft you are pointing to in place. You need to find the clip looking from the side of the small shaft and snap the clip off sideways. Even a small screwdriver, but large enough to fit over both ends of the clip should be enough to get it off. Be careful that it doesn't fly into some dark corner and you need more time looking for it, than to do all the rest. Then you can just pull the small shaft out. Removing the handle from the car will make the job a lot easier ...

Last edited:
You are right. It's a circular push-on clip that holds the metal shaft you are pointing to in place. You need to find the clip looking from the side of the small shaft and snap the clip off sideways. Even a small screwdriver, but large enough to fit over both ends of the clip should be enough to get it off. Be careful that it doesn't fly into some dark corner and you need more time looking for it, than to do all the rest. Then you can just pull the small shaft out. Removing the handle from the car will make the job a lot easier ...

Thanks Alverman. I'll try it and post the results.

Thank you all who posted links to our site for the repair items.

By the way, we have sourced replacement screws used to secure the lever to the handle in the case that you strip or cross thread these mini fasteners. If you need some, just let us know.

take care,
-- Chris

I am in the middle of doing this same thing - thanks for all the information from everyone...couldn't have done this without your help.

BTW - wierd info...mine broke where the cable attaches (circular hole) so it won't hold the cable. I found this interesting since everyone else's that I have seen keep breaking right in half.

I am ordering my part....might need a little more input when I get it :)

Thanks again!

Attachments

• DSC07050.JPG
    DSC07050.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Today the driver's side door handle snapped on my '96. Its the handle, not the "thingie". (I'd attach a picture, but I've still not figured out how to do that using pictures on my PC's hard drive. :frown:)

Has anyone found a source of handles other than for $345 a pair from SOS?

I'd prefer the handle to be the original black, but if there is no alternative, which SOS color matches the original black best? the anodized gun metal?

Back