• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Driving Ambition Goes Racing.

When can we expect Steve's and Kip's NSX back in action? I'm looking forward to seeing one of these races in person and will volunteer to be the official Driving Ambition's water boy.

After reading this thread, I think I'm officially paranoid about oil starvation and motor damage. I run all of the local So Cal tracks including Cal Speedway Roval. My buddy just blew the motor in his Porsche Cayman two weeks ago in the banking at Cal Speedway (it was his first time using R compounds). Now that I've seen it with my own eyes as well as heard the nightmares on this thread, I'm not hitting the track again without a baffled oil pan and an Accusump.

I'd like to do as much preventative maintenance as possible before installing the new baffled oil pan and Accusump. The questions I have are what else should I do during this procedure to ensure the health/life of the motor?

1) How can I determine the current health of the motor besides doing a comprehensive leak down test?
2) Should I have the #4 bearing inspected?
3) Are there anymore bearings or internals that I should have inspected?
4) How necessary is it to install a billet oil pump gear?
5) I understand the 2qt Accusump fits in the engine bay. Is it nearly as effective as the 3qt version, or should I get the 3qt and put it in the trunk?
6) Who makes the most effective baffled oil pan?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

After reading this thread, I think I'm officially paranoid about oil starvation and motor damage. I run all of the local So Cal tracks including Cal Speedway Roval. My buddy just blew the motor in his Porsche Cayman two weeks ago in the banking at Cal Speedway (it was his first time using R compounds). Now that I've seen it with my own eyes as well as heard the nightmares on this thread, I'm not hitting the track again without a baffled oil pan and an Accusump.

I'd like to do as much preventative maintenance as possible before installing the new baffled oil pan and Accusump. The questions I have are what else should I do during this procedure to ensure the health/life of the motor?

1) How can I determine the current health of the motor besides doing a comprehensive leak down test?
2) Should I have the #4 bearing inspected?
3) Are there anymore bearings or internals that I should have inspected?
4) How necessary is it to install a billet oil pump gear?
5) I understand the 2qt Accusump fits in the engine bay. Is it nearly as effective as the 3qt version, or should I get the 3qt and put it in the trunk?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

Ryan,
For all the answers you seek you should call Shad Huntley @ Driving Ambition at the following # 916-861-0032 all of these Items he can tell you what to do. I have a 3 qt unit and the billet oil pump gears and as far as I know I have no baffle in the pan but I might now that the engine is apart as Shad has the oil pan baffles he can weld in. Another thing in my favor is the turbo oil returns go right into the pan with 1 pump for each under pressure.
On my car I allways run Hoosier R6 or Yokohama A005 slicks

Steve

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

The 3qt Accu will fit under the rear fender if you want your trunk space. If your going to do your timing belt and other maintenance than put a good billet pump gear in. Only variation in the baffled pan is the height that's it's welded in place :confused:

Shad will know all of this

FYI - accusump still wont save you on the banking (although it may help) if you are at the limit of the tire's grip going 10/10ths for that long. Accusumps are great for brief and even decently long corners but not much short of a dry sump will save you under race conditions on the banking.

Many are fine on the banking because they are going much slower/cautious and aren't sustaining high Gs for the entire lenght of the banking.

As far as buttonwillow and willow springs, you should be ok stock, and a baffled pan and accusump will be more than enough (even 1 of those should give you a decent safety cushion).

FYI - accusump still wont save you on the banking (although it may help) if you are at the limit of the tire's grip going 10/10ths for that long. Accusumps are great for brief and even decently long corners but not much short of a dry sump will save you under race conditions on the banking.

Many are fine on the banking because they are going much slower/cautious and aren't sustaining high Gs for the entire lenght of the banking.

As far as buttonwillow and willow springs, you should be ok stock, and a baffled pan and accusump will be more than enough (even 1 of those should give you a decent safety cushion).

What about running the Cal Speedway Roval with R compounds, non compliance, camber plates and Penske's at 9/10's? Is this enough G's to potentially cause damage?

What about running the Cal Speedway Roval with R compounds, non compliance, camber plates and Penske's at 9/10's? Is this enough G's to potentially cause damage?
I'm not going to say it will take setup X or laptime Y to blow your motor as their are far too many factors.

Also, someone running faster laptimes, higher speeds and more Gs on the banking may be fine, while another NSX running slower blows. BUT, with what you have mentioned (Penske's R-comps), and running at 9/10ths ---a true 9/10ths on the banking (many people who run "9/10ths" tend to be running a little lower than that level on the banking if they are not useto it or feel comfortable with it as it's a completely new experience), it will for sure be a concern.

Again, baffling and accusump will help, but those only last so long. Sustaining that many Gs for such a long period of time can and often does lead to starvation. BUT, some baffling designs work better than others, and as mentioned many times, not all drivers go a honest 9-10/10ths on the banking. Just like many turbo kits who have been "tracked" at 6/10ths (9/10ths on the straight and 6/10ths in the corners) will blow up when running 10/10ths all the way around the track.

Have you ever been to California speedway?

I'm not going to say it will take setup X or laptime Y to blow your motor as their are far too many factors.

Also, someone running faster laptimes, higher speeds and more Gs on the banking may be fine, while another NSX running slower blows. BUT, with what you have mentioned (Penske's R-comps), and running at 9/10ths ---a true 9/10ths on the banking (many people who run "9/10ths" tend to be running a little lower than that level on the banking if they are not useto it or feel comfortable with it as it's a completely new experience), it will for sure be a concern.

Again, baffling and accusump will help, but those only last so long. Sustaining that many Gs for such a long period of time can and often does lead to starvation. BUT, some baffling designs work better than others, and as mentioned many times, not all drivers go a honest 9-10/10ths on the banking. Just like many turbo kits who have been "tracked" at 6/10ths (9/10ths on the straight and 6/10ths in the corners) will blow up when running 10/10ths all the way around the track.

Have you ever been to California speedway?

Yes, I have been to Cal Speedway Roval two years ago. I was running a 91 with stock drivetrain, Type R suspension and R compounds. It was running about 130-135 in the banking. Lap times were 1:59's. I'm a bit faster now and won't be going back without a proper baffle and accusump since I don't want to risk anything.

Billy, I don't recall if you remember who I am, but I'm the guy you coached at the Buttonwillow Redline Time Attack a few months ago. You (and later Andrie Hartanto) helped get me from 2:08 to 2:05's in one session in my car. Nice job! Thanks. Hopefully sub 2's next time:)

Of course I remember. How could I forget? You were doing great and showed a lot of natural ability.

Give me a call. Email or PM me if you dont have my number and we can talk more about this as well as some new developments that I need to talk to you about, which you might be interested in Re:(O'Neil).

Well the car is back together and ready to go. I tested the car on Friday June 6th at ThunderHill with TrackMasters Racing.

I will be Racing at Laguna Seca on June 27,28,29 with SCCA in the ITE class.

I would like to Thank my sponsors in advance for making this happen!

Driving Ambition www.DrivingAmbition.us
Niello Acura www.nielloacura.com
Team Racing www.team-racing.org
Valley Precision Grading
Trackmasters Racing www.TrackMasters-Racing.com
Stuck! Caps www.StuckCaps.com
KHrant Enterprises www.KHrantEnterprises.com
City Automotive Center
Ghent Electric Inc. www.NsxRacing.net
GEI Security www.NsxRacing.net

Come on out and join the fun if you can!!!

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited:
Go get 'em Speed Racer!!! You should really let me whiten your teeth (championship white shade) for the winner's circle photo:biggrin:

Go get 'em Speed Racer!!! You should really let me whiten your teeth (championship white shade) for the winner's circle photo:biggrin:

Larry,
Thats to funny. If you have time come down to Laguna Seca and visit as I will be there Friday, Saturday and Sunday. See you at the meeting Tuesday

Steve

Steve- how did your race go this weekend? Must be good to finally be back in action again. Contact me - I'd like to be a proud sponsor.

Last edited:
Re: Race Report?

Hey Steve, we're waiting for the blow by blow of all the hair-raising action last weekend. Looking at MyLaps, it doesn't look like your group had a "Beach Party and Safety Car Parade" that Laguna is famous for. So you gotta be happy about that. And you brought it home in one piece it appears.

But where was the Kipster? :confused: Did you finally fire his sorry sand-bagging ass? :biggrin:

Hi Everyone,
Steve had a very good weekend and got though his novice races, now he can get his regional SCCA license. On Friday a turbo hose came off and he qualified 12th for Saturday's race. In Saturday's race he worked his way up to 6th. For the Sunday race he qualified 5th and was 3rd going into turn two. But with some heavy pressure from Robert Wardlow in his C5 Z06 (my neighbor and dyno customer), Steve spun in turn 6. But Steve got going again and worked his way back up to 4th in class. Steve did a great job and with out any help from Kip or me (we both had to work this weekend). Steve ran very well and made me and all of his sponsors very proud. Cheers, Shad
IMG_7273small.png

IMG_7276small.png

IMG_7292small.png

Re: You must be kidding

Steve did a great job and with out any help from Kip or me
Get out of town. Steve fueled the car, changed tires and stuff all by his lonesome? NFW. Who was taking care of him really? :confused:

Hi Everyone,
Steve had a very good weekend and got though his novice races, now he can get his regional SCCA license. On Friday a turbo hose came off and he qualified 12th for Saturday's race. In Saturday's race he worked his way up to 6th. For the Sunday race he qualified 5th and was 3rd going into turn two. But with some heavy pressure from Robert Wardlow in his C5 Z06 (my neighbor and dyno customer), Steve spun in turn 6. But Steve got going again and worked his way back up to 4th in class. Steve did a great job and with out any help from Kip or me (we both had to work this weekend). Steve ran very well and made me and all of his sponsors very proud. Cheers, Shad
View attachment 43707

View attachment 43708

View attachment 43709

Shad,
Thanks for the car to make it all happen!!!!!! without you this would not be possible.
It looks like in the picture that Robert was on my ass and I never saw him until he went around me on the inside of turn 9 shortly after where you see him in the photo. Then I was behind him and I encountered some traffic and turned around passing a BMW in turn 2 and watched 5 cars pass, I did retake all 5 cars before turn 8 but could not catch the leaders.
I had a blast, the next race is at Thunderhill on July 26.27
Maybe some of the NSX people can drive up and represent

Steve

Re: You must be kidding

Get out of town. Steve fueled the car, changed tires and stuff all by his lonesome? NFW. Who was taking care of him really? :confused:

Ted,
Thanks for the vote of confidence there..!!
The rear tires were new and the fronts were good so all I had to do was the following thanks to Shad Huntley of Driving Ambition.

1. Check air pressures 4 times
2. Checked oil twice
3. Bled clutch (i had a pusher)
4. Reinstalled turbo hose to intercooler
5. Wiped car down before bed time and put on the cover
6. Used 20 gallons Race gas 5 gallons at a time
7. Try to stay awake with all the waiting between fun
8. Almost forgot I did check the torque of the wheels Sunday (i was bored)
Well that's all I did in 3 days so easy even you can do it, oh and you do as you are solo a lot as well

Steve

Thunderhill on July 26.27
Maybe some of the NSX people can drive up and represent

Steve

Steve, update?
Had to work last weekend or I would have been there.

Back