• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Drove a 911 Turbo Today

I went and test drove an '02 911 Turbo today. The power is absolutely unbelievable (especially from 3500-6500 RPM). With the 4 wheel drive, traction is simply not a problem (at least not that I found on the test drive). I'm driving it at >5000 feet so it is actually down on power versus sea level but still throws you back in the seat (much more so than the NSX). I was a little disappointed in the braking. I don't think the brakes are what they should be. The salesman said I was the first person who even commented negatively on the brakes. It is possible the car has a brake problem or a tire problem that accounted for my impression but I didn't feel confident braking late (it took a lot of force without a lot of results compared to the NSX). I didn't really get to push it in the twisties but it felt rock solid on the few turns I did take. There is a night and day difference between the Turbo and the standard 911.

Don't get me wrong, I believe the turbo is a fantastic car but I think I'll keep my NSX. I think the interior of the NSX if far superior in both layout and overall feel. I really prefer the styling of the NSX. The NSX is a true exotic in looks and the 911 is a, well. 911 (the same great classic body shape for about 40 years which in part is what draws me to them but isn't as eye catching as the NSX). I really prefer the exhaust sound from the NSX (I still have stock exhaust and headers) compared the the 911 (at least from inside the cabin). The 911 has a much more muscular feel while the NSX is more refined. I really expected to strongly prefer the 911 turbo. In the end, they are both great cars and it's a matter of personal choice. I certainly understand why people would chose the turbo over the NSX (it has a lot of great things going for it) but I'll stick with the NSX.

Back