• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

dynamatted the doors

i dynamatted the doors today on my 98 and there was a noticeable sonic improvement. better treble, better bass, and better stereo separation. but the most pleasant surprise was the way it quieted the car. less road noise and less creaking noises. a very worthwhile investment.

How far did you go with the Dynamat? Just the interior side or did you do the the outside door skin as well like they show on the web site?

well i have no idea how far they went. i had it done at my local al and eds. the dynamat materials bill was $140 if thats any clue. as for the weight gain i have no idea. but if you can tell from driving it does feel a little heavier.

I did the same to mine and it made a huge difference.
Here are some pictures.
Sorry for the poor quality. They were taken on a cell phone.

Nate in DC

Attachments

• 031107_18071.jpg
    031107_18071.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 349
  • 031007_23361.jpg
    031007_23361.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 308
Has anyone weighed their rolls of dynamat before they apply it on? How much weight would it roughly add to dynamat the doors of the car, or say behind the driver seat/firewall area?

Althought I have yet to revamp my NSX's stereo, I have done several other cars in the past, and used Dynamat with very good success. One bit of advice for the DIYer is that you really need to get the dynamat in direct and intimate contatct with the metal you are covering... You need to use a small roller (1" wide) to really push it flush against the panel you are covering. You want to damp the metal. Don't leave any air pockets, or go over any wires.. .otherwise its just deadweight. Dyanmat done right is a lot of work, but its worth it. The shop bill may seem high if you are having someone do it, but they probably spent a good amount of time on it too... If you are tracking your car, don't add the ~15lbs... but otherwise you will definitely appreciate the sonic improvements and also like how much more solid the doors feel & sound when you close them. My 2cts from past experience.

Regarding the weight: Dynamat Xtreme weighs 0.45 lbs per square foot or (2.2 kg per square meter) according to Dynamat.

I covered the outer skins of my doors, the floor, the rear firewall, and the roof of my NSX with Dynamat Xtreme. In most places I used two layers, in some one layer and in a few spots I used three layers. In total, I used about 11 18"x32" sheets, or about 44 square feet (4.1 square meters). According to Dynamat, that should weigh 20 lbs (9 kg).

Those figures are pretty much what my bathroom scale showed, too. Two bulk packs, each containing 9 18"x32" sheets of Dynamat Xtreme, had a combined shipping weight of 19.6 kg including all the boxes, the cardboard separators in the boxes, and the wax paper backing stuck to the Dynamat itself.

Thanks greenberet. For those 20lbs, was all the sound deadening worth it? I would assume that it helped quite a bit?

I haven't done my NSX yet, but my M3 has been well dynamated ;)

Some Pictures to show the extent of dynamat...

Attachments

• DSC00074.JPG
    DSC00074.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC00077.JPG
    DSC00077.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC00132.JPG
    DSC00132.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC00138.JPG
    DSC00138.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 153
I'd definitely do it again. There's clearly less road noise and the doors sound much more solid when you put the key in and when you close them.

I wouldn't do the roof again since I don't think that made the car any quieter. I had the roof liner off while I was putting in the Dynamat and since the roof sounded tinny when I rapped it with my knuckles, I put some on there as well. It didn't seem to change the sound level, but if I ever get the urge to rap the roof with my knuckles, then I'll know it's there.

In order of importance, I'd say the biggest change came from the doors, then the floor, then the firewall - which didn't seem to make that much of a difference, and then the roof - which didn't seem to make any difference.

Looking over the parts catalog for my BMW 750i, it looks like the whole car was built to be quiet. Mechanical things are on isolated subframes, the dashboard has its own sound deadening mat, all the side and rear windows are double glazed, etc. By putting some aftermarket sound deadening in our NSXs, I don't think we can ever make them as quiet as cars that were designed to be quiet. If there's a specific noise we don't like (like road noise), we can try to reduce that as best we can. But I don't think you can ever reduce road, engine, and wind noise to the same levels as a car manufacturer can if they really put their minds to it while designing the car from scratch. Even with the Dynamat, my NSX has significantly more road noise than my BMW.

Be that as it may, I'm very happy with the Dynamat in the doors and on the floor of my NSX, and I'd also put it on the firewall again because my fiancée still plugs her ears when I floor it on the Autobahn.

Thanks for the input.

As Dynamat is much overpriced IMO I've bought something similar, a roll of bitumen type damping material about 1/3 of the price but didn't mount it yet. Starting with the doors is a good point as it's easier than other areas.
Did anyone measure the gain with DB-meter?

but if you can tell from driving it does feel a little heavier.

Really? :wink:

Last edited:
i think i was just in shock. and driving slower. but i am so happy with the loss of car creaking that i'm probably going to dynamat the floor. and what is the firewall?

I can understand that you're happy with the Dynamat! So am I.

The firewall is the sheet metal between the passenger compartment and the engine compartment. What I was referring to is the back wall of the NSX's passenger compartment, behind the seats.

i think i was just in shock. and driving slower. but i am so happy with the loss of car creaking that i'm probably going to dynamat the floor. and what is the firewall?

The Firewall is the 'wall' that separates the passangers from the motor... it follows suit due to safety concerns, but regardless in the matter of the nsx, the firewall is right behind the driver and passanger seats... hence separating the passangers from the engine.

-Joey

I just ordered a bulk package of Dynamat thru Amazon.com. Shipping weight for 9 15x32" sheets is only 21 pounds. Cost was half retail--about $125 vs. $250. Free shipping, too. I've installed Dynamat in several cars over the years and always got great results.

What's the feeling with Dynamat vs. Dynamat Extreme to those of you who've used both? Specific to the NSX, is it worth it to go with the thicker, costlier extreme, or will regular dynamat suffice and do the job almost as well?

Regular ol' Dynamat sucks. It doesnt stay together as well as Xtreme. I vote Xtreme!

The added weight of Dynamat is not that important. The gain is worth it.

I thought I'd add some of our Dynamat'd pics :)

600_aP1010055.jpg

Viper with 6/4/tweet setup. The door is fully covered.

600_IMGP1859.JPG

Cobra at the 3/4 mark. Covered everything metal in the trunk.

Back