• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dyno trouble.

Quick update, Marco and Rob found the problem.
It was Vtec related , a damned pin on the Vtec harness was bent!!!
My buddy unplugged the ecu when we were doing the install, it most to bent then.

Anyways, the car will be dyno tomorrow(Wednesday )night. Planning on going to the track on Saturday , hopefully everything goes ok.
I'll keep you on the loop.

-MSR

Imagine that something as simple and small as a few bents pins... glad to hear your on your way those boyz are solid :) they will be seeing my other daily driver soon for dyno and possible tuning.

What was your final hp/tq results?

Following your MLMA theory, I know this may sound like a really silly question, but you never know, is vtech being enabled? This actually happened to me where it was a very simple palm to forehead oversight.

Ding ding ding! I was the first to submit the vtech guess! What do I win? :biggrin:

Congratulations! I know how frustrating it is when things go wrong in our pursuit for higher hp. Why stop at 457hp? Go breach the 500 barrier!:biggrin:

Oops, as we didn't meant to run more than 9psi.
It's a little difficult to control sych a little amount of boost on the Tru-boost, two points of duty gave us two psi that time. Nothing bad, it's just that I dint want more than 9 psi.

Then went pretty good, Marco and Rob were working on the details together to make sure that everything go the way it supposed to.

Check Vtec continuesly , check for the vvis to make sure it wasn't shutting (just in case) , and Marco was using the "knock-box" with the headphones to listen for true knock.

Also Devin was on the phone with Marco for part of the tune, he had told me that he was going to help on everything he could and he did, just amazing.

Thank you Devin very much.

The car feels great, my dsm used to be very abusive when the power kick in, the NSX is very linear, and very under control.

I took the car for a booth up and down twice and felt great, the tuned was finished at around 12:30 , while I got on my way, Marco had already pushed a supercharched Carrera on to the dyno for a tune, and Rob was already taking nitrus (the shop dog)for a walk, like nothing happened.

Thank you Magnus.

I notice that while the Tru-boost reads 9psi the map sensor only reads 6-7 psi, weird.

-MSR

Btw, the pull at 457 was only at 6000 rpm Marco let it off the gas when he saw the boost at 11psi.

Here: 409 and 436whp

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1310046138.688429.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1310046138.688429.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 69
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1310046201.192864.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1310046201.192864.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 58
If you can ask the guys to reprint your dyno sheets over RPM in stead of wheel speed, and add the torque graph.

Dave

If you can ask the guys to reprint your dyno sheets over RPM in stead of wheel speed, and add the torque graph.

Dave

Ya I know, I freakin forgot to ask him last night!!!

Oh I also forgot to mention that by time I got home, my good ol' friend smoke came back, I think the turbo it is still having problems evacuating the oil properly and now at full pressure it's leaking oil...

I need to change that -8 line from pump to pan with a -10.
Fun!!

-MSR

Oops, as we didn't meant to run more than 9psi.
It's a little difficult to control sych a little amount of boost on the Tru-boost, two points of duty gave us two psi that time. Nothing bad, it's just that I dint want more than 9 psi.

Then went pretty good, Marco and Rob were working on the details together to make sure that everything go the way it supposed to.

Check Vtec continuesly , check for the vvis to make sure it wasn't shutting (just in case) , and Marco was using the "knock-box" with the headphones to listen for true knock.

Also Devin was on the phone with Marco for part of the tune, he had told me that he was going to help on everything he could and he did, just amazing.

Thank you Devin very much.

The car feels great, my dsm used to be very abusive when the power kick in, the NSX is very linear, and very under control.

I took the car for a booth up and down twice and felt great, the tuned was finished at around 12:30 , while I got on my way, Marco had already pushed a supercharched Carrera on to the dyno for a tune, and Rob was already taking nitrus (the shop dog)for a walk, like nothing happened.

Thank you Magnus.

I notice that while the Tru-boost reads 9psi the map sensor only reads 6-7 psi, weird.

-MSR

Thats some nice power your running there & glad to hear you sorted out your problems with the car, I rolled off the Dyno a few weeks back around the same time 11:30PM ish and he ran another customer's Viper into wee hours of the morning. Rob is an awesome guy too, these guys are some of the best gents I've come across in GTA and are more than willing to go the extra mile to help you out :smile: Now you gotta build your motor and let it hit over 500rwhp :cool:

Glad to see its making power now. I guess well never know why it was running 30 degrees of timing at 9psi, or maybe it still is. Vtec doesn't explain that.

Do you use a scavenge pump on the oil drain line? I know most nsx turbo setups need it or are barely high enough and don't really like to gravity drain.

Glad to see its making power now. I guess well never know why it was running 30 degrees of timing at 9psi, or maybe it still is. Vtec doesn't explain that.

Do you use a scavenge pump on the oil drain line? I know most nsx turbo setups need it or are barely high enough and don't really like to gravity drain.

The engine wasn't physically running 30 degrees at 9 PSI.

The data and calibration values are just commanded timing. Actual mechanical timing advance depends on how the ignition is sync'd and adjusted for drift using delay compensation. Marco re-sync'd the timing yesterday using a spark plug wire bridge between the plug and coil. Everything lines up and there is zero drift.

hybrdthry911,
Ya, it does , just cameback from a drive and seems ok.
Rob will look into it if it keeps doing it.

Probably making an oil colector off the turbo, he already has one on his car.

Thanks everyone for your help I really appreciate it.
Hopefully everything stays together before I build the engine.

-MSR

Last edited:
Nice to see yet another pushing the envelope of what was thought impossible a few years ago. The number of NSX's well in excess of 400 rwhp on pump with a stock motor has gotten extensive.

Been following the thread and am glad the problem identified and fixed. Congrats on your turbo NSX - I'm sure the end result will make the teething problems seem minor in comparision.

Congrats again!

Nice to see yet another pushing the envelope of what was thought impossible a few years ago. The number of NSX's well in excess of 400 rwhp on pump with a stock motor has gotten extensive.

That's true, but we don't often hear about the motors the fail either...

Quick note, so the persistent smoke problem is coming from the exhaust it self.
I removed it and placed a straight tru pippin instead and the was no oil or smoke with it, so I guess there has to be lots of oil left in the exhaust of when the scavenge pump got blocked.

BTW, straight pipe on the turbo NSX is orgasmic!! Sounds Beatiful , plus it's ALOT more responsive alot more. Working on a "straight pipe" for track days as we speak. That borla exhaust has to be rubbing at least 20whp.

Going to the track tomorrow I'll post a vid.

Thanks ,

-MSR

Quick note, so the persistent smoke problem is coming from the exhaust it self.
I removed it and placed a straight tru pippin instead and the was no oil or smoke with it, so I guess there has to be lots of oil left in the exhaust of when the scavenge pump got blocked.

BTW, straight pipe on the turbo NSX is orgasmic!! Sounds Beatiful , plus it's ALOT more responsive alot more. Working on a "straight pipe" for track days as we speak. That borla exhaust has to be rubbing at least 20whp.

Going to the track tomorrow I'll post a vid.

Thanks ,

-MSR

yep! mine is staight pipe with magnaflow round and it sounds amazing!!

Back