• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

E Class Benz.

I love it,
The E500 is the best value for the money (the price is only $2k difference from the past E430).
It has the latest features and system from the SL and S Class.
The best value option is the sport package E3 ($1375):
-four 17" 5 spoke alloy wheelss
-Sculpted lower body work
-Blue-tinted glass
-Black grille with chrome ribs and chrome surround
-Bi-Xenon HID ($1175 value if bought separately)
-Heated headlamp washers
-All-LED brake lamps
-Ivory-color gauges face, backlit soft blue at night, with matte chrome instrument cluster surround.
-Matte chrome gearshift surround
-Black birdeye maple wood interior trim with polished chrome outlining.

Also the trunk is HUGE.

Just drove Both 03 E320 and 03 E500 on an AutoX type course.

Day and night difference (Performance wise)

But the features will blow your mind. I love the "Keyless" feature, you dont need the key to get in and start the vehicle. (You do have to have the remote in your possesion) eg. pocket, purse,jacket,bag etc.

sensors pick it up remotely and un lock and starts the car, how cool.

Used to have a ML, quality was similar to a Buick Skylark I owned 10 years ago. Have also owned the last 2 generations of E class, which were as reliable as my NSX. JD Powers has confirmed that foreign cars built in the US have more problems than cars built in Europe or Japan.

I love the new E class, best looking sedan out there. I would still be hesitant buying it in the first year though. The car has so many new electronics in it, and there are bound to be some bugs. These should all be worked out by the 2004 model.

E Class Horror Stories

Tom Larkins said:
bump:

Just wondering still. Need a new car and don't want to get into the concerns that some had with the ML series. Don't suspect its the case but want to be sure.

I have two friends that got some of the 1st of the new E's. One got the "3", it was flat bedded into MB 5x with computer problems, he got MB to take it back (he has 2 other new MB's so they are a little responsive to him), and swap it for a new E5, with the sport package. He had to pay up a little on the payments (he leases it), but hasn't had any of the computer problems. My other friend got one of the 1st E5's and has had the same problems, car is constantly having to be bedded into the MB dealer, with computer problems. He's now requested that the MB factory rep get involved (it was the suggestion from my other friend who had the problems), he's hoping that they will let him out of the car, or swap it as he's sick and tired of the problems. Last month he took his wife's 18 year old E down to Deleware, as he didn't feel comfortable taking the new car because it's so unreliable. He regrets ever switching out of the large Lexus. So, while the car runs, he likes it, it doesn't run consistently enough for him to want to keep it. My first friend with th new E5 is now happy, although he's still waiting for them to install the Nav, which is still not available!!

Re: E Class Horror Stories

I think it was Tom Scholz, ex-Polaroid engineer turned rock star, who said it best:

"A CPU is a disaster waiting to happen."

RUSS

Your post says it all! Life was simple when I had a BMW 2002
or even 320i. I went to change the spark plugs on my LEXUS
SC400 and couldn't easily find them!

CPU--HE IS NO FRIEND OF MINE

Very cool car. Love the look and technology of the latest E class.
What happens if you forgot something in the car and you go back to retrieve it and it remote start the car when all you want to do is just get something from the trunk? When you walk away does it shut down again? I am a gaget freak by the way.

Tan

Tantheman said:
Very cool car. Love the look and technology of the latest E class.
What happens if you forgot something in the car and you go back to retrieve it and it remote start the car when all you want to do is just get something from the trunk? When you walk away does it shut down again? I am a gaget freak by the way.

Tan

Tan, I believe the way it works is this, I haven't actually seen it in person though, so don't take this as word.

The remote doesn't constantly send out signals, nor does the car, but when the car senses that you've touched the door handle, the computer inside the car sends out a signal and if the remote is within a small distance of the car a return signal is sent back, and the car is unlocked. This is how the locking/unlocking mechanism works.

If you want to turn the car on, then you press the "on" button in the cockpit (with the transmitter in your pocket). That may not be entirely correct since what if the transmitter where just outside the car, in range of the car's signal when you turned the car off, and then you drove off in the car leaving the transmitter outside the car... hmmm... :confused:

ANYWAYS main point is that unlocking the car and starting the car are activated separately.

Rubber Chicken said:
Tan, I believe the way it works is this, I haven't actually seen it in person though, so don't take this as word.

The remote doesn't constantly send out signals, nor does the car, but when the car senses that you've touched the door handle, the computer inside the car sends out a signal and if the remote is within a small distance of the car a return signal is sent back, and the car is unlocked. This is how the locking/unlocking mechanism works.

If you want to turn the car on, then you press the "on" button in the cockpit (with the transmitter in your pocket). That may not be entirely correct since what if the transmitter where just outside the car, in range of the car's signal when you turned the car off, and then you drove off in the car leaving the transmitter outside the car... hmmm... :confused:

ANYWAYS main point is that unlocking the car and starting the car are activated separately.

Rubber chicken you are cracking me up. Now I have more question based on your answer....:D I am in the market for a sedan due to the whole marriage and kids thing. An Rx8 so that I can feel sporty driving a 4 passenger vehicle or an actual sedan like an E class or the FX45 SUV

Tan

Thanks, had no idea the E was running w/ a CPU aka 7 series bmw I guess, but not as complicated. Nice looking car though but maybe it would be better to wait another few months to see if the bugs get worked out. Anyone know what the popular benz board would be where I could get some actual owner feedback.

Tantheman said:
I am in the market for a sedan due to the whole marriage and kids thing. An Rx8 so that I can feel sporty driving a 4 passenger vehicle or an actual sedan like an E class or the FX45 SUV

Tan

I'm with ya, but the FX45......This image comes to mind everytime I see one of a rollerskate clown shoe and some pix I've seen here of certain clown shoe looking cars:D

My wife and I own a '97 E320 and we haven't had any major problems with it...... Perhaps we are fortunate but the issues I am hearing about have never happened to us. The dealer has always bent over backwards to please us and this is one of the reasons we went with Mercedes Benz.

If I could, I would love to buy a new E55. I read in Road and Track magazine it came out #1 against the M5, Jaguar R, and another vehicle (which one I can't remember).
My wife on the other hand would like to step up to a S class or to a SL. I'm not too sure of having two 2 seaters though in getting the SL :confused:

Just bumping this thread up again.

Have read much about the 03 cars being real turds on the benz boards & CR & JD Powers mags. Anyone care to share if some of the past issues have been addressed in the 04 models.

Still think its one of the best looking mid-sized on the market, but the reliability......good lord!!!!

Just pick up an end of year 5 series BMW or a GS400. Great cars, great handlers, and easy to play with if that is your cup of tea.

Back