• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

eBay car - '97 NSX, 39K miles, $38K reserve

Thats a good price if it doesn't go any higher. Even the Edmunds price is around 47k. If its in Vienna, VA I think there are a lot of NSX owners near by that could probably check it out.

[This message has been edited by wctsao (edited 06 December 2002).]

Looks like the pic was taken with the trunk open.
Must be a Toyota dealership.

[This message has been edited by pbassjo (edited 07 December 2002).]

Not defending or promoting anyone here but I agree the trunk was not properly closed (Boston & I had an IM "debate" on this yesterday
biggrin.gif
)
Also, the body shop does not even appear to be in the same lot.
This could really be a terrific deal - the Ebay scams have created genuine concern for many.

That car looks great and the trunk looks fine when shut. I am happy to see the 97s selling for under 40k. I am a future buyer not a future seller.

Originally posted by D'Ecosse:
the body shop does not even appear to be in the same lot.

I think it's in the same lot, but I don't think it's a cause for concern.

It looks like the photos were taken in a new car dealer's lot (based on having 8-10 apparently brand new, identical vehicles in a row).

I would bet that this is a new car dealership with its own in-house body shop.

The presence of a body shop at a dealership does not imply that this car necessarily had any work done there.

Given the location specified in the auction, I suspect it's Koons Tysons Toyota

I was very interested in this car but have been utterly unable to find a person who knows anything about it. I sent an email 2 days ago and got no response. I called the # listed and spoke w/ a very nice but entirely uninformed representative, who first said the car was being looked at by a number of customers and had "a lot of activity", then it wasn't in their lot at all, then it was at another lot of an affiliated dealer, and the manager of that lot would get back to me. She also asked, would I be interested in a nice Integra they have in stock? :)

Needless to say, no manager called me, so I called back just now and now the manager won't be in till Monday, and the auction will be over by then! And oh yes, this dealer is actually in NJ, not in VA as indicated in the ad. The representative had no idea why it would say VA in the ad.

The auction ends in 22 hours (reserve has been met) and I'm not gonna bid on an NSX w/out speaking w/ a single person about it.

So good luck, whoever you are out there w/ the high bid - if you read this board drop a line and let us know how it went.

Hey guys. I checked out this car on the way to my Christmas shopping(just out of curiousity..wanted to find out if it was fraud or not). Ken is indeed correct and it's located at Koons Toyota in Vienna, VA.

From distance the car looked good. However I looked closer and found that rear part of the car has been repaired. The trunk does not line up with the tail lights at all. Also the rear bumper does not exactly line up with the rear fenders. Not sure if the rear fenders were replaced. I couldn't tell whether the front was hit or not since I'm not much of an expert. To my eyes it looked ok but don't quote me on it. Also I noticed that the latch for the front hood was ripped and was not there...not sure what happened there. Also, the engine bay seemed to be very oily. Maybe they tried to use engine degreaser and did not clean it off properly...that i'm not sure either.

The sales person didn't know much about the car and they seemed to want to just get rid of it. He told me that the reserve is at 38000 since that's what they got for it. The previous owner traded it in for a Toyota Matrix!

Anyway, I wouldn't buy it personally without getting it inspected fully....I got the feeling you will find more stuff that's not to your liking.

TOLD YA D'ECOSSE
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by ak:

From distance the car looked good. However I looked closer and found that rear part of the car has been repaired. The trunk does not line up with the tail lights at all.

THIS IS really sad.. I wonder why..

The previous owner traded it in for a Toyota Matrix!

I am an independent exotic car dealer (& private enthusiast) and I carry NSX's.
Here are some tips to check the extent of body work:

1) Check all the bolts for the major body panels. Open the hood, doors, and trunk and inspect all the bolts. If there are bolt marks or wrench marks on the bolts, it means the panel was taken off. That means the damage was extensive enough that the dent couldn't be pulled and chances are they couldn't salvage the panel and have replaced it.
IMPORTANT: Make sure you have the car checked at a reputable frame shop for unibody damage. If a car was hit hard enough to replace a panel it may well have frame damage.

2) If you don't see any bolt marks, then the paint may simply be cosmetic or light enough that the body shop popped the dent out, sanded it, and repainted the panel.
You can find paintmarks by mismatched paint, overspray on the trim or molding, or by finding the paint line where they taped up the original paint and started spraying the new paint. This may be difficult for newbies to detect. You can also run your finger along the edges of each panel and see if you can feel the paint line.
3) If you see panels that don't fit properly, chances are you have a car that was hit really badly. Many panels were probably replaced, and since the car was hit hard, some components may have been bent enough so that it doesnt fit properly. You REALLY want to watch a car that doesn't fit properly. Make sure you take it to a frame shop and have a thorough examination. If they say it's ok, then you may just have a poor quality bodyshop repair and may be able to have it adjusted.

Hope this helps you guys. You really need to beware cars on Ebay. Always make sure you check for paint, and damage, and have a guarantee that you can have it checked out after you win the bid, but before you buy it. If not, then you can legally be stuck with a wrecked, frame damage car. If they are hesitant to give you a guarantee, they are hiding something.

If there's anything you're looking for let me know. I can locate high quality used NSX's.

Good Luck!
Shawn
sportscars4less.com

Just thought you guys would like to know, I have dealer access to auction sales and I traced that car through Manheim auctions. Someone bought it
at an auction on 4/11/02 and paid $45,000 for it, sold it in May (probably for a profit at $47,000-49,000). The new owner put 7000
miles on it. Now it shows up on Ebay for sale much lower than market value. You can see this trail on Carfax's registration info.
So what probably happened is this car was bought at auction, sold to a retail guy. That guy put 7000 miles on it and wrecked it so bad he traded it in on a Matrix and took a $10,000-$11,000 loss on it (traded it in for $38 and paid $47-49).
Funny story. Feel sorry for the poor guy who bought this car.

Could anyone stop by and look at it for me.
I don't mind an accident if it has been repaired correctly, I just don't want to waste my time if it is a total POS.

Keep in mind I'm not like some of you guys who won't buy one if you find out someone farted in the drivers seat.

If it is A LITTLE rough around the edges that is ok. Thanks

Hi:
I was on final exam this week so delay to reply you.
Like I said, I bought on 4/23, and I went to tweeter ( audio store ) to ask how to upgrade the audio system, and then Robert ( own 95 NST-tt )told me My car's rear have been accident, of course I wasn't believe it, because I just paid 56000, then he show me which part and I took it to body shop. the answer is " Yes your car have been f**k up. so I went back to Lendsay ( the dealer I bought My nsx ), then they said noway, and give me very bad feel, so I hire a lawer,...I lose, but I win 4 brand new wheels-all oem chrome.

I talk to the first owner's friend. the guy said, this car in the body shop about 3 monthes, so I think you can image how bad is it.

All I can tell you is the engine is good, front rooters need replace soon, battery is bad, lot of paint jobs, interior is bad ( the first owner heavy mod the audio system, so It's look bad to me.).

you can go ERZ to buy nsx parts in N.Y
I trade for matrix 4wd. I enjoy it.

hey, I was thinking to travel, any suggest?

Sorry to hear that... how can you lose the fight? since theres evidence and prove?

Back to the topic..
is it true or it is just me?
I kinda got a impression that NSX on eBay.
might seem to have a buncha nice deals.. and some of them with incredible prices.. check theres one reserve met on 20k and some on low 20s.. but after all these stories posted and etc.. I begin to feel that they are trying to get rid of those bad bad bad or poor condition NSX... or fraud.. and the left overs are pretty high priced.. even on some highly priced NSX on ebay.. theres still some minor issues.. (eg. this ebay nsx guy who never changes oil? its discussed too)
then? Where is safe to get cars? NSXprime members and reputable dealers I think. I believe that eBay still got some good deals.. but however in to process to find one might be tough and risky.. even then.. the biggest problem would be YOU WILL BE OUT BIDDED!!

just how I think..
thnaks for wasting your time reading!
frown.gif

Back