• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

ebay LM BBS style 18" Fitment probelms

Question for fellow prime members.
Recently ordered these wheels from ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-LM-Stagg...&otn=1&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=4531399742292357731

These wheels are advertised NSX staggered configuration. Got these rims + tires for a decent price ($1600). But it is frustrating that the wheels do not work with the car.

18 * 8 ET + 38 Front with 5mm spacer
18*9 ET +42 Rear with 8mm spacer
Fitted on Yokohama S drive 215/35/18 F + 265/35/18 R

The front wheels barely clear the OEM brake caliper by 1mm. The rear wheels have not been installed yet and seems to stick out about an inch from the rear fender. What can I do to make this flush? Seller is recommending me to go with 245/35/18 tires instead.

Is this car safe to operate on if I go ahead and install these wheels on to my car? I will return these to the ebay seller if the wheels may become a hazzard during normal use

Thank you

This is really not ideal. First of all, you should of went with 18/19. If you have only 1mm clearance in front with an 18x8 wheel, +38.. that is NOT good. You need at least 2-3 clearance in my opinion and adding a spacer that will put you at +37/+36 might be too aggressive for you. As for the rear- 18x9 +42 (with your 8mm spacer) will certainly work. It's not even aggressive. Once you lower the car down, the normal suspension travel will tuck the wheels/tires safely in the wheel well. However, the front/rear balance will look bad. Also, 8mm spacer in rear? Hope you are running spacer/extended studs? If not, do you have enough turns on your lugs?

AS I have already said, return them and get proper wheels.

Well the rears with 19x9.5 +40 may work and even if you need a spacer to clear the brakes it will allow for up to a 10 or even 15mm spacer.

The problem is the fronts - the +38 appears to need an 8mm spacer to have enough clearance - this will result in a +30 which is too much for almost anyone.

You're right. I just went to the ebay ad, and the front is indeed +38. However, on his first post he said:

"18 * 8 ET + 38 Front with 5mm spacer"

So basically, he's really @ +33 in the front with the spacer.

Yeah, dump this setup!

Unless someone REALLY wants the set then the thing to do would be machine the spokes...

The front wheels barely clear the OEM brake caliper by 1mm. The rear wheels have not been installed yet and seems to stick out about an inch from the rear fender. What can I do to make this flush? Seller is recommending me to go with 245/35/18 tires instead.

I'm in the camp that if it clears the caliper, you're good to go! Both of my sets of Work wheels did that in the rear. Clearance of 1 mm and I've had no issues.

As for the rear, it's an illusion. When you drop the car, the wheel goes inward, due to the suspension geometry. The wheel below is a 19x9.5 +29 with a 275/30/19 tire:
Past the fender :eek:
Raised.jpg

Flush. :smile:
NoSpacer.jpg

Last edited:
^ I don't know dude... I would be nervous with just 1mm of clearance. 2-3mm is more like it!

Yeah, it's definitely safer. Once I got the Racing Brake 330mm upgrade, it pushed the caliper further out to a place where there's more clearance behind the spokes. Not an issue anymore! :biggrin:

Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't bother to do research since these were advertised as NSX staggered fitment. The tires are mounted on the rims. I have not installed the wheels yet. Definitely going to call up Jacky at UAP One to ask about their 7 day return policy. I hope he does not charge me a huge restocking fee (25% of purchase price) and bill me for shipping (due to misrepresentation on the ebay ad).

My car is currently sitting on 17 /18 Volk GT7 wheels (came with the car when I purchased it earlier this year).

The Ebay Ad has a typo:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-LM-Stagg...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2c5fb4d2b3

I am not sure whether the ET 42 and ET 38 refers to the front or the rear wheels. I bought these wheels sight unseen. My car is located in my vacation home in SOCAL Arcadia and am asking my friends to help install these wheels for me. The wheels are sitting in my garage at the moment and I do not know whether the offset are referring to the front or rear rims. So far my friends have installed the front wheel and tells me the brake caliper clears by 1mm. They did not attempt to fit the rear wheels yet because the 8mm spacers have not arrived in the mail.

Beginning of the Ad:
Rim Material: Alloy
Bolt Pattern: 5x114.3 Rim Width: 8 & 9
Hub Bore: 73.1 Rim Diameter: 18
Rim Brand: OE Replica Offset: +38 & +42

Bottom of the Ad:
Bolt pattern : 5 x 114.3

Size : 18 x 8 (F) & 18 x 9

Offset : 42mm (F) & 38mm (R)

Hub Size : 73.1mm

Lip Size : 1.5" (F) & 3"(R)

I am not sure Et42 Front or Rear ET 38 Front or Rear. The Ad is confusing.

seller (UAP One) asked me to buy 8mm spacers separately for fitment of the rear wheel. I may try the 8mm spacer for front rims to help clear the brake caliper and give it a 3mm clearance.

I am stuck in a bad situation. Return the set and lose $500 on restocking and shipping fees? (I paid $1600 for the rim and tire set) or experiment with buying different spacers and lugs to fit these wheels on.

seller (UAP One) asked me to buy 8mm spacers separately for fitment of the rear wheel. I may try the 8mm spacer for front rims to help clear the brake caliper and give it a 3mm clearance.

If the spacers are Hubcentric (which they should be, if not, then you got the wrong ones), then you cannot swap them front to rear or vice versa.

The hub bore of the NSX is 70.1 mm front and 64.1 mm rear. That means they also should have given you Hubrings since the wheel hub bore is 73.1mm.

Last edited:
Just return them like everyone is telling you to do. Don't let him stick you with restocking fees or return shipping since the ad is misleading. You really should have done more research, but there is no use crying over spilled milk. If you have a real problem returning them then you might have to keep them and see if those will work on an S2000?

I am stuck in a bad situation. Return the set and lose $500 on restocking and shipping fees? (I paid $1600 for the rim and tire set) or experiment with buying different spacers and lugs to fit these wheels on.

This is TOTAL Bull - If I were to sell wheels and they did not fit - I would be offering the spacers at no charge -

I just read his auction so you should double check the actual stamps on the wheels: (copied from the auction)

Brand : LM Replica

Model : 944

Bolt pattern : 5 x 114.3

Size : 18 x 8 (F) & 18 x 9

Offset : 42mm (F) & 38mm (R)

Hub Size : 73.1mm

Lip Size : 1.5" (F) & 3"(R)

Finish : Hyper Black/Polished Lip

Quantity : 4 Wheels With Center Caps

Condition : Brand New In Factory Boxes

The front wheels (if you include an 8mm spacer) will end up at +34, depending on ride height and tire choice you might get away with it although your setup was mentioned and I think you are quite low - recipe for disaster.

HOWEVER the rear width, diameter, offset, tire fitment etc. is still way off.

If you bought these on eBay, open an eBay claim - you will get ALL of your money back and if the seller wants positive feedback then he will pay shipping too - worst case you will get a credit towards shipping from eBay and ALL of your money back, you bought these because his auction was misleading and eBay will side with you.

IF it were a simple matter of a spacer required then it would not be much of and issue, these wheels will not fit properly unless you are willing to do major surgery and I doubt it is worth it.

Last edited:
Honestly, faulting the seller is the easy way out as there are way too many variables that impact wheel fitment. The due diligence should be placed on the buyer, instead of just blaming the seller. Technically, front and rear fit. However, not ideally.

If there were spacers required, the seller should have stated it since some buyers refuse to run them (I used to think it was no big deal but have learned that some people hate them) This alone would support a "not as described" claim - when I sell wheels for the NSX I will, if at all possible actually bolt them on a car here first to ensure fitment and then I can advise whether spacers may be necessary - and if they are I will include them - a key factor in avoiding frustration.

...I hope you learned your lesson about buy cheap wheels. The NSX is too nice of a car for knock off stuff in the first place...

Cheap wheels with fitment problems are useless.
Expensive wheels with fitment problems are still useless.

Back