• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Egr valve lift insufficient detected

My check engine light came one last week and after running the OBD diagnostics it determined "EGR VALVE LIFT INSUFFICIENT DETECTED" so I proceeded and replaced the EGR valve. However I still get the check engine light. I appreciate if someone can help me resolve this problem.

check to see if the vacuum line is connected all the way from the EGR valve to the engine and/or check to see if there are no holes or vacuum leaks in the hose(s)

Did you clear the code with a scanner tool after replacement?

After a work on the engine, it is necessary of réinitialiser computer (ECU)

to initialize ECU, to put the engine goes 10 from there has 15 minutes, the engine must be hot, turn off the engine and to remove the fuse of clock (limps has fusible before), to wait 10 minutes, to give the fuse clock and to put the engine goes from there WITHOUT ACCELERATING, to leave the engine go from there 10 minute and to await the stabilization of the idle (it's for this period that ECU puts in memory the new data), it is important not to touch has accelerator, then, to turn off the engine, ECU is re-initialized

Pour initialiser l'ECU, mettre le moteur en marche 10 a 15 minutes, le moteur doit être chaud, éteindre le moteur et enlever le fusible de horloge (boite a fusible avant), attendre 10 minutes, remettre le fusible horloge et mettre le moteur en marche SANS ACCELERER, laisser le moteur en marche 10 minute et attendre la stabilisation du ralenti (c'est pendant cette période que l'ecu met en mémoire les nouvelles données), il est important de ne pas toucher a l'accélérateur, ensuite, éteindre le moteur, l'ecu est réinitialisé

Last edited:
Is it a know problem to have clogged EGR passages on the NSX as in other Hondas?

I cleared the code temporarily by disconnecting the battery terminal. A day later the code came back. Is it necessary to clear the code by the methods describe in the previous post?

Last edited:
I recently opened up my EGR passage and found that the passage walls Had carbon that looked like black oily grains of sand. My car has 40k miles.
I used acetone to try to clean it up but the acetone did not get it completely clean.

I recently opened up my EGR passage and found that the passage walls Had carbon that looked like black oily grains of sand. My car has 40k miles.
I used acetone to try to clean it up but the acetone did not get it completely clean.

A very common problem in other Hondas (esp. lean brun Honda Insights Gen. 1). The carbon residue builds up in the EGR as well. Sometimes the potentiometer in the EGR gets worn out. An error (unsufficient valve lift or the like) will be the symptom. Time to change it.

With help from a friend we ended up using 2 cans of Seafoam one added it to the vaccum line and other to the gas tank. That seem to do the trick, so far the check engine line has not come back on and I have been driving it all day yesterday. The Seafoam is supposed to help break up the carbon buildup that maybe clogging EGR system.

Last edited:
Check engine came back on. :confused:
I took the EGR passage, EGR pipe and cleaned it throughly with contact cleaner. I did notice a black layer of carbon on those parts, after reseting the check engine light, it comes back on a day later. Same error code "Egr valve lift insufficient detected". 'MI stuck. HELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELP! :confused::confused::confused::confused:

You need to use a product like combustion chamber cleaner to remove the carbon deposits. Try to verify if the passages are indeed clogged.

If you've cleaned the passages, the EGR ifself went south. That's my highest guess. Try to borrow another one and recheck. The part is $180 discounted.

I already replaced the EGR valve itself with a brand new one a month ago when the check engine light first came on. That was the first thing I did after I diagnosed it. Checking the vacumm lines is my next step

The EGR is usually controlled by a vacuum modulator valve. This valve typically goes bad and doesnt allow sufficient vacuum to open the egr.
Trace the vacuum hose from the egr back. It may go into the emissions box on the back firewall.
An easy test to check the egr and passage is to apply vacuum (hand pump like Mityvac) directly to the egr valve while the engine is running. If the engine stalls or rpm drops then the valve and passages are probably fine.

Back