• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Encounters with celebs - tell your story

I met Bill Nye the Science Guy when he came to give a presentation during my undergrad. Bill! Bill! Bill! "Science rules."

n122801805_30698370_6826.jpg

Used to work out at a gym in Boca Raton, Fl. Was on an aerobic machine next to a woman, but said to no one in particular "Hey, that's Derek Bell!", looking at a man on one of the aerobic machines in the row in front of us.

The woman on the treadmill next to me leans over and says "yes, that's Derek Bell. He's my husband.".

I approached him later on and he was very gracious and down-to-earth.

He was guest-driving in some Speed Channel races doing from-the-battlefield-in-car-commentating, and got spun around one race, driving a BMW M-Coupe. His car ended up stopped prone across the track and was walloped really, really hard by a car that could not avoid him and was spun down the track quite violently.

I saw him in the gym a few days later and said "Man, you took quite a ride", and he said "F---! Didn't I?"

Way cool guy, and listened patiently while I told him about my very un-exciting track days in my Miata. A true gentleman.

Pete Rose used to come to that same gym. Not such a gentleman.

Had experience similar to the gracious Mr. Bell, running into Brian Redman and Dan Gurney at the Amelia Island Concours D'Elegance, in different years. Very gracious people.

Extended my hand to Niki Lauda at the "place to be seen" hotel in Montreal during a Canadian Gran Prix F1 weekend, and was comprehensively snubbed. Didn't bother to do the same to Bernie Eccelstone, expected the same result.

Celebs are just like the rest of us. Some are nice, others not.

But my favorite celeb, at least in the racing world, is Scott Pruett. He's always been willing to talk. While these have not been exactly chance meetings, while at races he always seems to have time for people interested in him.

This past weekend at Nocturnal Wonderland, Paris Hilton walked past me as I was dancing. She smiled, smiled back, and went on with her business. Good times. :)

Julianna Hatfield: Wife worked at Broadcast.com/Yahoo back in the day and she was coming up the stairs to go into the building for a recording... we locked eyes and I stared as I walked with my wife the whole time... and she just stared right back. Me: where have I seen her before (it hit me at the end)

Lou Diamond Phillips: Also at Broadcast.com. I think he was there promoting his Bats movie at the time, and we ran into each other while I was picking up my wife. We talked a little bit and I rambled on about La Bamba. He was super nice and even an hour or so later when we came back, he was heading out and remembered my name and said goodbye.

Shot an event for P. Diddy and met/saw the following:

Omar Miller: The coolest guy at the whole place. We talked about his role in Miracle at St. Anna, and he was super down the earth and enjoyable to be around.

Adrian Brody: Didn't say a word to anyone... looked like a sad lost puppy all alone

Cameron Diaz: Didn't actually speak to her, but was shoo'd away even though I was the official photographer for the event. Later overhead some VH1 personality berating her and telling horrible stories about what an unprofessional diva she is to work with. From my own observations that seemed to be an astute call.

P.Diddy: The biggest a hole of them all. Only concerned about his own image, and treated every single person surrounding him like utter crap. Even his own crew were pissed on. I can't stand the site of him now every time I see him in the media. It amazes me that horrible people become rich and famous.

I can't remember all of them but here's a few.

Danny Ainge - To young to remember

David Draiman - Cool guy, down to earth.

Chester Charles Bennington - Was wasted, left his beer on the table after talking to me, I drank it, I was 17 :biggrin:

Edsel Dope - Pretty boring guy.

Tila Tequila - Held the camera for my girlfriend at the time to get a picture

Chris Rado - One of the coolest "celebs" i've ever met, he recognized me 6 months later 1000 miles away and picked me out of a crowd of people.

Patrick Dempsey - Was driving a car for Grand Am when I worked the pits. I actually met him the night before the race as I was drunk by the pool he walked up and started talking to me. I recognized him but couldn't remember how. I had to ask who he was.

Anthony Johnson - This dude is huge, I can't believe he fights at 170.

James "Buster" Douglas - Met him at the urinal, nuff said.

Saulo Ribeiro - I am part of the SRJJA association so I've met him many times. Very inspirational on so many levels.

Lastly I grew up around, was "friends" with Jeremy Greene if any of you know who he is. If you don't your probably better off. Dude has all the talent in the world and no common sense.

Last edited:
You realize of course that there are a few famous people on this board who post regularly but in the guise of their Prime names. You could be PM-ing with Mario Andretti, or having a back-and-forth with Bobby Rahal over which car color is best, or surprised to learn that Robert Redford has one of the top twenty post counts here.
So, basically, you could be "encountering" a celeb every day.

Last edited:
You realize of course that there are a few famous people on this board who post regularly but in the guise of their Prime names. You could be PM-ing with Mario Andretti, or having a back-and-forth with Bobby Rahal over which car color is best, or surprised to learn that Robert Redford has one of the top twenty post counts here.
So, basically, you could be "encountering" a celeb every day.

Don't blow my cover. Jeez. :tongue:

I'm fortunate to work full-time in motorsports. My favorite celebrities are all drivers, and I've had the pleasure to many top drivers in Grand-Am, American LeMans Series, and World-Challenge. Naming all would be a long list and a lot of pictures, but here's me and Johnny O'Connell recently at Road Atlanta:

JohnnyO.Mark.jpg

For those that don't follow motorsports as closely, Johnny is a sports car super-hero, winner of multiple championships, the 24 Hrs of LeMans, the 12-Hours of Sebring, the Petit LeMans. Simply one of the greatest drivers of our era.

Oh, just came across this, couldn't resist... fans of Top Gear and the Nurburgring will need no explanation...
Nring_009.jpg

...after doing laps together at the 'Ring, Sabine and I got to drink some great German beer!

Last edited:
Back