• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ended up getting a 2003 Corvette Z06!

I was on here a few months ago getting informed and asking about a few NSXs I was looking at. I’d like to thank anybody who helped me out.

I want to start off by saying that I’ve loved the NSX for a long time, ever since I saw a beautiful black-on-black at an Acura dealership. They had the car up on a ramp that tilted it and it was in a white showroom, all by itself! With the pot lights shinning down on the black paint, it really burned the image in my mind.

Some time had passed I went through a couple of sports cars and a sports bike. But since I loved the NSX for so long, I decided to start looking for one. But the more I searched the more I realized I couldn’t get what I was looking for, for the price I was willing to pay.

That’s why I ended up purchasing a 2003 Corvette Z06 with 18K miles for the same price as a 1991 NSX with over 100K miles. The reasons I didn’t end up getting an NSX is because power-to-money and year-to-money ratio. When you consider how much you are paying for a 1991 for the HP, it was difficult to justify, for me anyway. Now I’d like to mention, I’ve never been a Corvette type person or American cars for that matter. But when I started to read more and more about the C5Z06 and the kind of lap times it can put down on a road course, it was hard to justify not owning a Z06. I mean, how can you fault a car that can keep up with a 360 Modena or beat a 911 Turbo - on a road course - for the same price as new Golf GTI.

Is it perfect it? No, of course not! No car is. The seats are crap (no side bolstering), the steering wheel is huge and the shift throws are a bit long. And don’t even get me started on the interior, pure crap. But, with that said, I’m glad GM spent the money on the engine and suspension. I can live without a “fancy-shmasy” interior.

Try to keep the flaming or bashing to a minimum. I didn’t make this post in anyway to flame or hate on the NSX. It’s still a remarkable machine after 18 years.

Congrats on your buy. I too, was debating between a C5 Z06 and a NA1 NSX just because the prices were identical. After test driving both, Ive come to find the z06 is faster in a straight line but the NSX feels so much more quicker and safer around turns. Im sure I could through a comptech SC on the NSX and they would be neck and neck. Also too like you mentioned, the Z06 interior was pure crap. Therefore, I picked up my 92 and have never looked back since. NOW! if it was a C6 Z06, Id be all over that thing in a heart beat vs NA2 NSX.

Congrats on your buy. I too, was debating between a C5 Z06 and a NA1 NSX just because the prices were identical. After test driving both, Ive come to find the z06 is faster in a straight line but the NSX feels so much more quicker and safer around turns. Im sure I could through a comptech SC on the NSX and they would be neck and neck. Also too like you mentioned, the Z06 interior was pure crap. Therefore, I picked up my 92 and have never looked back since. NOW! if it was a C6 Z06, Id be all over that thing in a heart beat vs NA2 NSX.
I never ended up driving an NSX, because they are just so rare, especially around my area. But from what I’ve heard and read the steering feel is amazing, especially on the NA1.
It’s surprising you say the NSX is faster in corners, from the homework I’ve done on both cars the C5Z06 corners better. Although what doesn’t help is the amount of torque coupled with vague steering feeling, it gives the impression the car isn’t as stable. Compare that with the NSX, which has a lot less torque and a lot better steering feel, I think that’s why you might think / feel the NSX is more stable in corners. But once you start getting use to it, the C5Z06 is amazing. I’m still trying to come to grips with the torque (in corners), and I think it’ll take me a while, there’s just so much of it.

I looked at those cars and chose the NSX because of how rare they are and figured the amount of depreciation would be a lot less with the NSX in the long run.

Anyway, hopefully you are satisfied with your decision. Enjoy!

I never ended up driving an NSX, because they are just so rare, especially around my area. But from what I’ve heard and read the steering feel is amazing, especially on the NA1.
It’s surprising you say the NSX is faster in corners, from the homework I’ve done on both cars the C5Z06 corners better. Although what doesn’t help is the amount of torque coupled with vague steering feeling, it gives the impression the car isn’t as stable. Compare that with the NSX, which has a lot less torque and a lot better steering feel, I think that’s why you might think / feel the NSX is more stable in corners. But once you start getting use to it, the C5Z06 is amazing. I’m still trying to come to grips with the torque (in corners), and I think it’ll take me a while, there’s just so much of it.

the problem with discussing which car "corners better" is that cornering/handling is not measurable quantity like horsepower. grip can be measured (in g's on a skidpad and in slalom/lane change tests)... but that is not the complete story. "handling" is a much more subjective thing because it involves a driver's feel and perception.

the nsx is revered as being a car that has great handling feel. a lot of people bash on the feel of a corvette. it is difficult to have any reasonable discussion about something as subjective as "feel".... but in terms of actual performance around a curve measured in time (what it all comes down to anyway)... the corvette does absolutely fine.

the problem with discussing which car "corners better" is that cornering/handling is not measurable quantity like horsepower. grip can be measured (in g's on a skidpad and in slalom/lane change tests)... but that is not the complete story. "handling" is a much more subjective thing because it involves a driver's feel and perception.

the nsx is revered as being a car that has great handling feel. a lot of people bash on the feel of a corvette. it is difficult to have any reasonable discussion about something as subjective as "feel".... but in terms of actual performance around a curve measured in time (what it all comes down to anyway)... the corvette does absolutely fine.

To shrddr's point, the nsx in my opinion feels quicker because they are easier to throw into corners and exit out safely. The vette felt very powerful going into corners indeed, but I had to always slow it down cause it felt as if the car was going to slide and loose control. No doubt the vette is faster and more powerful, the nsx just makes driving fast easier. Which is why I narrowed my choice down to the NSX. If I had the money to own both I def would though. Drag the vette and auto x the NSX.

I looked at those cars and chose the NSX because of how rare they are and figured the amount of depreciation would be a lot less with the NSX in the long run.

Anyway, hopefully you are satisfied with your decision. Enjoy!
Yes agreed, hence why the NSX has held its price so well.

Yes I agree with you, very good point.
Like I said in my above post, the reason the NSX feels better is the lower torque coupled with the non-assisted steering. It gives the car a feeling of being more stable. And if you apply that concept further more. If you go from an NSX to a Lotus Elise, the fact that the Elise has a lot less torque than the NSX and the steering feel is even better (in an Elise) it will give the impression that it is more stable.

Congrats on the Z! They we're in the same price range when I was looking and I would have probably chosen the Z over the X but I just don't like the FRC. I miss the torque but the Z's steering is squishy and vague compared to an NSX. As for the shifting, slap in a Hurst shifter. That made a huge difference and is a cheap mod. You can thank me later.

cheers2.gif

You know, I almost did the same exact thing, buying a 2003 yellow Z06 over my nsx. I actually decided I wanted the car and was goign to contact the dealer in oklahoma to arrange a time for me to fly in. So the night I was going to send out the email, I left my home to drive to work. It was a friday night in the spring so plenty of people were out. I live right above downtown Colorado Springs on a bluff and my way to work takes me through the middle of downtown. This is where I decided I did NOT want a corvette....... In the first 5 minutes, I counted atleast 10 C5's.

Before I bought the nsx or even considered it, I had seen only 2-3 my entire life, all of 27 years.

It's hard beating such a great car as the Z06 in bang for the buck, but I wanted something truely special, unique and rare.

Either way, unique or common or rare or cheap, both cars are a BLAST to drive and own.

But when I started to read more and more about the C5Z06 and the kind of lap times it can put down on a road course, it was hard to justify not owning a Z06. I mean, how can you fault a car that can keep up with a 360 Modena or beat a 911 Turbo - on a road course - for the same price as new Golf GTI.

Give me a break. A C5 Z06 won't beat a 911 Turbo (996 or 997) on a road course. Been there and done that - Mid Ohio, Putnam Park, Autobahn CC, Gingerman. A C6 Z06 might, but C5 Z06 will only do so if it's driven by Danny Popp. :wink:

Corvettes are like Hemorrhoids.... sooner or later every a-hole has one.

And for the record my NSX is faster everywhere on the track than a C5 Z06 except for the straight.

http://www.vimeo.com/1680400

Last edited:
congrats on your purchase, However that vette will be worth pennies in 5 years compared to the rare NSX.

Don't fret the Vette hate - they're great cars and I'm sure you're going to enjoy your car.

In capable hands, a c5 z06 is an incredible car. Don't let anyone tell you different. The only thing you may have to worry about is resale value. But for now, just have fun with your car.

Don't fret the Vette hate - they're great cars and I'm sure you're going to enjoy your car.

In capable hands, a c5 z06 is an incredible car. Don't let anyone tell you different. The only thing you may have to worry about is resale value. But for now, just have fun with your car.
Plus 1. No car is kept forever. Enjoy it.

03 z06 is faster than 360 modena. i guess.
Never said it was faster than a 360 Modena. Just said it could keep up.

You know, I almost did the same exact thing, buying a 2003 yellow Z06 over my nsx. I actually decided I wanted the car and was goign to contact the dealer in oklahoma to arrange a time for me to fly in. So the night I was going to send out the email, I left my home to drive to work. It was a friday night in the spring so plenty of people were out. I live right above downtown Colorado Springs on a bluff and my way to work takes me through the middle of downtown. This is where I decided I did NOT want a corvette....... In the first 5 minutes, I counted atleast 10 C5's.

Before I bought the nsx or even considered it, I had seen only 2-3 my entire life, all of 27 years.

It's hard beating such a great car as the Z06 in bang for the buck, but I wanted something truely special, unique and rare.

Either way, unique or common or rare or cheap, both cars are a BLAST to drive and own.
Yah, I admit there are tons of Vettes. I'm not too happy with that. Of course if I had the money I wouldn't have either an NSX or a Corvette. But when you're middle class you can't be too picky.
Yah, I saw a NA1 NSX this past weekend, DAMN IT LOOKED GOOD.

Give me a break. A C5 Z06 won't beat a 911 Turbo (996 or 997) on a road course. Been there and done that - Mid Ohio, Putnam Park, Autobahn CC, Gingerman. A C6 Z06 might, but C5 Z06 will only do so if it's driven by Danny Popp. :wink:

Corvettes are like Hemorrhoids.... sooner or later every a-hole has one.

And for the record my NSX is faster everywhere on the track than a C5 Z06 except for the straight.

http://www.vimeo.com/1680400
There's always one guy on a forum. I'm not going to be pulled into a flame war. But, thanks for calling me an a-hole!

Well regarding the C5Z06 not being as fast as 996 Turbo, I'm going based on this article
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=155&page_number=1

This was done with a 2001 Z06 which has 20HP and 20 ft/lbs of torque less than the 2002 to 2004 model years.
The lap times are:
360 Modena = 2min 7.65sec
Z06 = 2min 8.39sec
911Turbo = 2min 10.73sec
NSX = 2min 14.15sec
This was done on the same day with the same, pro, driver.

I've seen your videos before, good job man, some great driving! But I think you are just a better driver compared to the C6 driver, even you can see that.

Because this article proves otherwise: It has different drivers, driving all 3 cars (C5Z06, NA2 NSX, 996 Carrera). And the lap times don't lie.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=56&page_number=5

Last edited:
The point is can YOU drive it that fast? :biggrin:

I personally don't care what a magazine tells me as far as performance and times because each magazine has their own method creating some outlandish differences.

Will you be tracking the Z?

R&T is to Corvette as is C &D is to BMW as Best Motoring is to NSX Type R.

Don't get me wrong. I would love to have a C5 or C6 Z06 to strip out and turn into a dedicated track car (no interior). Then I wouldn't have to worry about depreciation anyway... However, I would have to get an enclosed trailer to take it to the track as I wouldn't want any of my neighbors seeing me with a Corvette. :cool:

Is the C5 a good track car - hell ya. Is it the best? I don't think I can say that without throwing up a little in my mouth. They are good on the track - but I would take a GT3 or 911TT vs a C5 Z06 if I was racing for pinks. :cool:

Is the C5 a good street car - yea. Plus, you can wave at all the other Corvettes you pass everyday. Can't do that with my NSX - only seen one other one on the road in the last 5 years.

And Dude, I am just busting your balls. You hit the nail on the head - the stats don't mean much if you can't drive it. Yes, that was me in the vid and yes I have taken out my stock Camry (except Hoosier R6 slicks) and passed all sorts of sports cars on the track. Actually a underpowered, understeering car is easier to drive fast and push to the limit. It's all about momentum.

Last edited:
In about a year, you will have figured out the difference between the NSX and Corvette. My C6 was the worse car from a reliability standpoint I've ever owned, so bad that GM bought it back under the lemon law. When it ran, it was a great car but that was so infrequent I gave up. I know Consumer Reports is not respected on car forums but there is a reason it gets the "much worse than average" reliability rating year in and year out.

Hopefully, yours will be the exception and be trouble free. There is such a world of difference in build quality, handling, interior and exclusivity factor that the two cars really are in two different worlds.

The point is can YOU drive it that fast? :biggrin:

I personally don't care what a magazine tells me as far as performance and times because each magazine has their own method creating some outlandish differences.

Will you be tracking the Z?
No, of course not. But "magazine racing" helps take a few variables out of the equation: different skill level drivers and different weather conditions.
Yes sir, it'll be on track in spring, once the snow/ice thaws.

R&T is to Corvette as is C &D is to BMW as Best Motoring is to NSX Type R.

Don't get me wrong. I would love to have a C5 or C6 Z06 to strip out and turn into a dedicated track car (no interior). Then I wouldn't have to worry about depreciation anyway... However, I would have to get an enclosed trailer to take it to the track as I wouldn't want any of my neighbors seeing me with a Corvette. :cool:

Is the C5 a good track car - hell ya. Is it the best? I don't think I can say that without throwing up a little in my mouth. They are good on the track - but I would take a GT3 or 911TT vs a C5 Z06 if I was racing for pinks. :cool:

Is the C5 a good street car - yea. Plus, you can wave at all the other Corvettes you pass everyday. Can't do that with my NSX - only seen one other one on the road in the last 5 years.

I don't know why you are being this much of a hater?! You remind of some of the guys on the Corvette forum, that only like Corvettes and nothing else.

I never implied, or stated the C5Z06 was the best track car. But the fact you are comparing it to a GT3 or 911TT is pretty damn good for a car that cost less than a, New, Golf GTI. Like I've said before, for a middle-class person this is pretty damn good value for the money.

Last edited:
Congrats on your purchase and I'm sure you will enjoy it very much until you actually drive an NSX, since you haven't done so before making your decision.

You are magazine test driving a car by reading the stats performed by a pro driver. Stats don't tell you how the car feels. More importantly, how it feels to an enthusiast driver as opposed to a pro driver. A pro can get great stats out of a Yugo that you couldn't even get close to. So those numbers are meaningless but they do sell cars.

An NSX makes a mortal man feel like he is a pro god because of the way the car feels. I would bet you that if YOU drove the vet and the NSX on the same track on the same day you would post better times in the NSX. That is the real difference between the cars and not the statistice you read. There was an article comparing the 2002 or 04, I can't remember which, to a vet and porche of the same year driven by pros and by a regular guy (magazine editor/journalist) and you know what, the regular guy prefered the NSX and performed better in the NSX than the other two cars. The pros were split on the Vet and Porche and rated the NSX lower, because they are PROS and can make the power advantage in the other cars work for them. Although they both commented how great the NSX feels, they could post better times in the other cars due to the power difference.

Everyone would like to think that if I buy a car the pros like I will be able to emulate them. Trust me, that is not the case. And in everyday driving on mountain roads you need to feel secure, which is what the NSX offers.

Enjoy your car but don't drive an NSX as it will spoil it for you. I have read many testimonials on this forum confirming this. The feeling to price ratio of the NSX is off the charts.

After a while find an NSX and drive it, you'll see...

Tytus

Like I said... just busting your balls. :rolleyes:

If you plan to mod it for the track - you need to talk to Danny Popp at raftracing.com.. Danny knows how to set up a C5 Z06.
hahahaha...Okay cool. Thanks for the link, appreciate it. I can't modify it too, too much. I have to think of resale value :)

Thanks.
Yah it's true the Corvette will be worth hardly anything compared to an NSX. But I looked at it from a different point-of-view. How hard will it be to sell a 20 year old car with around 80K miles on it. I've followed the NSX market for a long time before I purchased the Z06, and NSXs take a long time to sell (in Canada anyway). I've seen some cars sitting for months and others sitting on dealer lots for years! So that was another reason in my decision.

Congrats on your purchase and I'm sure you will enjoy it very much until you actually drive an NSX, since you haven't done so before making your decision.

You are magazine test driving a car by reading the stats performed by a pro driver. Stats don't tell you how the car feels. More importantly, how it feels to an enthusiast driver as opposed to a pro driver. A pro can get great stats out of a Yugo that you couldn't even get close to. So those numbers are meaningless but they do sell cars.

An NSX makes a mortal man feel like he is a pro god because of the way the car feels. I would bet you that if YOU drove the vet and the NSX on the same track on the same day you would post better times in the NSX. That is the real difference between the cars and not the statistice you read. There was an article comparing the 2002 or 04, I can't remember which, to a vet and porche of the same year driven by pros and by a regular guy (magazine editor/journalist) and you know what, the regular guy prefered the NSX and performed better in the NSX than the other two cars. The pros were split on the Vet and Porche and rated the NSX lower, because they are PROS and can make the power advantage in the other cars work for them. Although they both commented how great the NSX feels, they could post better times in the other cars due to the power difference.

Everyone would like to think that if I buy a car the pros like I will be able to emulate them. Trust me, that is not the case. And in everyday driving on mountain roads you need to feel secure, which is what the NSX offers.

Enjoy your car but don't drive an NSX as it will spoil it for you. I have read many testimonials on this forum confirming this. The feeling to price ratio of the NSX is off the charts.

After a while find an NSX and drive it, you'll see...

Tytus

Thanks man!

Actually, the article you are referring, I've linked in my above posts. The race driver (Steve Millen) and club-level racer (Sam Mitani) choose the Z06 for track duty, over the NSX.

My plan is to get rid of the Z06 in 3 years and get my, affordable, super-car an Elise or ExigeS.

Last edited:
Who gives a rat's ass how fast it goes based on a magazine review. Why? Because some punk ass kid is gonna roll up on us in a civic hatch that's both boosted and on spray and destroy most all of us with his monstrous 1.8 liters.

Congrats on your purchase. The C5 Z06 is a monster. I chose a C6 because I couldn't stand all the things you mentioned about the car. The interior is worse than a cavalier.

You can always get a NSX down the road. I would save up for the NA2 though because the 6-speed makes a big difference in that car.

You do owe it to yourself to drive one if you get the chance.

Last edited:
That’s why I ended up purchasing a 2003 Corvette Z06 with 18K miles for the same price as a 1991 NSX with over 100K miles. QUOTE]

Congrats on the buy However what you said above is the exact reason I would have bought the NSX...:wink:

Poor Z06's running threw the auction all of the time for upper teens... with 20-30k miles on them.. I kind of feel sorry for the owners that dropped 70k on them just a few years earlier.. Just not a smart buy as far as cars go in my opinion, They are worth next to nothing in 15 years as to an nsx is still worth mid to upper 20k!

However as far as beating the hell out of one on the track I would be all over it. Would I spend the 20k to buy one to do it knowing in 2 years its going to be worth 7-8 grand less? Nope:biggrin:

Back