• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Engine light and traction control light are on

Hi everyone.. I just don't know why I rev over 5k rpm and check engine light flashing and traction light on.. please can anyone help me here and greatly appreciated.. hope everyone are well and safe.!

As docjohn says, need the model year of the car.

On OBDII equipped cars, it is common that the MIL / CEL will flash when the ECU detects misfires. Other Honda/Acura products do that. However, its not clear to me that the NSX ECU has that feature. The owners manual for the later cars has no description of a flashing CEL/MIL. Are you sure that it is not the TCS that is flashing? On the later cars it is normal for the TCS to flash when it goes active and there are lots of reasons why that may be happening - see docjohn's link.

If the TCS light is on steady, then that suggest an error in the TCS. The only way to retrieve the stored error codes in the TCS is to use the service check connector and count the blinks on the TCS light to determine the code. The procedure for using the service check connector is in the service manual along with an explanation of the error codes. If you search on the Prime Wiki you may also find the procedure. Using the service check connector will also cause the MIL to display any stored error codes in the ECU which may give you some idea as to what is going on with the ECU. If your car is OBDII then you can use a code reader to retrieve any ECU error codes.

Retrieve whatever error codes may exist in the ECU and the TCS and then proceed based upon that information.

Profile states 1998, so OBD2.

Flashing MIL (engine light) is not good, so get DTC (error code) asap.

OBD2 BT adapters are a few dollars. Local auto parts supply can usually help for free with a loaned reader.

My nsx is 98 and I was driving and all of suddenly the check engine light was flashing and traction light was on too, I went home parked the car and restart again the engine light is not flashing. And traction light was disappeared. If my car is misfire what should I do? Thank you all..

plug in an obd2 code reader and see whats up..don't drive it.

If you don't have access to an OBDII code reader, using the service check connector will allow you to retrieve the ECU error codes. The error codes will indicate if a detectable misfire was occurring.

Hi.. I detected the codes show up p1201 and p1399 without warm up the car.. will anyone help me here please!! Greatly appreciated.

Pretty sure 1201 is cyl 1 misfire. 1399 is random multiple misfires. Swap coil from 1 to 2 & vice versa. Clear codes, drive car. See if code stays 1201 or changes to 1202. if so bad, coil. If not, swap plugs cyl 1 to cyl 2 & vice versa. Clear codes & repeat test drive.

Read in here 1st:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/59059-Check-Engine-Light-and-TCS?highlight=misfire

I did preventive maintenance several years ago as I had 1 bad coil 1 year, 1 bad spark plug the next year, & a different bad spark plug the year after that. The year after that I put in new plugs on the remaining 4 untouched ones. How a spark plug with no moving parts in a car that sits 99.99% of the time goes bad is beyond me.

Post #5 : http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/74157-DTC-codes?p=673901&viewfull=1#post673901

Last edited:
Back