• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Engine mounts - who long do they last?

Which one fails first?

For those who changed them: did you recognize a significant difference?

I had the front one go first, it was torn and I replaced it with SOS rebuilt one (the "stock feel").

Could not tell the difference and I can't remember how I discovered the torn one, I believe I was doing a clutch replacement.

Today, I would just fill the existing mount with urethane and be done with it. Cheaper, faster, and a lifetime fix.

It would be nice to get a poll of anybody with solid or urethane mounts. Is there any issue with NVH, metal fatigue and/or galled bolt threads?

I had the front one go first, it was torn and I replaced it with SOS rebuilt one (the "stock feel").

Could not tell the difference and I can't remember how I discovered the torn one, I believe I was doing a clutch replacement.

Today, I would just fill the existing mount with urethane and be done with it. Cheaper, faster, and a lifetime fix.

It would be nice to get a poll of anybody with solid or urethane mounts. Is there any issue with NVH, metal fatigue and/or galled bolt threads?

Drew,

What do you mean by filling it with urethane? We can buy liquid urethane? Or did you mean to just REPLACE with urethane made mounts?

Thanks!

I'm not a fan of filling them out completly. I did it once on a 3 cylinder and the result was terrifying (added stress on everything), so I've swapped it out with a new one.
I'd replicate the shape of the rubber bushing. I have a kit but at $150 per mount I'm not sure to invest the time and mess involved...

Too bad that the front one can't be inspected without removing a lot of parts...

Front or rear usually go first. Side ones are typically ok. IIRC, OEM NSX-R mounts are still available. Slightly stiffer, but nowhere near a urethane fill.

One can use windshield polyurethane in a tube. There is a bunch of DIY's on Youtube or your favorite search engine.

It does make the mount a lot stiffer and I have yet to do it on my NSX. However, paying +US$350 for a mount is a bit rough, SOS offers a rebuild for about $200.

The commercial sealant used to seal between large glass panes might also be a viable candidate. Or possibly just fill the bottom half of the existing mount.

NSX-R are stiffer? Part no.?

NSX (NA1 MT)

Front: 50840-SL0-000
Rear: 50810-SL0-010
Left: 50805-SL0-010
Right: 50820-SL0-000

NSX-R (NA1)

Front: 50840-SL0-900
Rear: 50810-SL0-900
Left: 50805-SL0-010
Right: 50820-SL0-000

Thanks very much for the part no. of the Type R engine mounts.

In Japan, they are less than half of the price in the US and at $150 a piece I won't experiment with poly fillings if I only change the front and rear ones. A boosted car might better go with the Type R ones, more weight, more torque.

Ordered. :)

Did you receive the Type R mounts? Pictures, comparison?

FWIW: I have two sets of old mounts in the garage, only the front mount was worn and torn out of the set.

I remembered that the passenger mount is solid from the factory. I have no complaints on my polyurethane filled ones. My butt dyno feels no difference than with OEMs. GL either way you choose to go.

Installed the Type R ones. I see no visual difference at all. I guess the rubber is different then, hard to check by hand. There's a yellow dot on the new ones. Both old ones were very good after 28 years BUT I don't run headers and don't abuse my car either. I didn't start the car yet, so no info about vibration. I've torqued them in the sequence according to the SM and should be good with it.

IMG_3784.JPG

IMG_3781.JPG

One final edit: There is less vibration when the engine just revs with the car not moving. Also, the sometimes annoying stlight clutch judder under certain circumstances is reduced by quite a lot. It looks as if the resonance frequency drifted a little bit from the source. So, I'm also happy with that because I feared the opposite.
And the very last comment about them: at 80+ mph miles my rear end was a little bit unstable for a fraction of a second in transition (let the throttle off or go on it while it was in fuel cut before). Solved too.

Last edited:
Back