• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Error code P0430

Anyone know what this error code means? I have done a search and see that it means:

"Front Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold "

But what does this mean? Could this be another 02 sensor? The car is a 98 with 66k.

02 censor. Either you have a bad cat or your 02 censors is out.

Don't quote me on it though....

It is the cat. Reset it and see if you get the code again. If so you will need at least one cat. 0420 is the other cat. It may be covered under the emissions warranty, not the one for 1995-97 cars, but general emissions since the mileage is 66K. Check with your local dealer.

HTH,
LarryB

Larry,

What do you mean by "general emissions"? Is there some sort or warranty that says that under some mileage the cat will be replaced by a dealer?

I am not 100% sure about this, but most vehiscles have somewhere between a 75K and 150K warranty on specific emmisions parts. That is why I suggest checking with the dealer.

I had this problem with my wife's Toyota RAV4 (0420) and they packed up $2600 parts and labor for cats, etc. and it was an 75K warranty, regardless of age, certainly worth a phone call:).

Regards,
LarryB

Dealer says the warranty is 8 year and that it expired 4/06 and that I'm therefore on my own. Any good sources for cat? Or do I have to get gouged by the dealer?

Evoking - I had this error code on my Civic for the last 5k miles and thus I could not pass emissions. I just recently called my dealership and in my case, they will do the work....

However, I am no longer reproducing this error as I added a bottle of "CRC" and "RXP." RXP is not very well known but I found it highly recommended by a member here on Prime and decided to give it a shot. I think RXP did the trick b/c I had CRC for 3/4 of a gas tank and it still came back after re-setting it, however, after adding RXP for nearly 1 gas tank - with a little bit of CRC in the system - it no longer repro's.

If your Cat is failing mechanically, as I think mine is, this may prolong it and/or reduce engine emissions enough where the inefficiency is below the tipping point..

I'm quite pleasantly/unpleasantly surprised. I'm not sure if this will last, but I just went to emissions and passed via the OBD II data.
In my case, I'm hoping it fails again so I can get new parts for free :) but it's worth a shot if you're trying to mitigate it just enough until it goes away.
Also, you may want to call other dealerships and get a second review and/or contact the District manager(s) in the area. It is my understanding that, at the discretion of the dealerships, Honda/Acura can do emissions warranty work even after the 'warranty' period is over.

Nonetheless, RXP (www.rxp.com) worked for me and it is available @ Autozone. I have seen some posts about certain risks so you will need to determine whether it makes sense with the NSX.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Any good sources for cat? Or do I have to get gouged by the dealer?

Cats can be rebuilt for much less than a dealer cost for new.

Maybe you can find a friend with a newer NSX* and swap cats to make sure that is the problem. *An NSX that might be still be under warranty.

that just might take care of the problem for you.

drew

Cats can be rebuilt for much less than a dealer cost for new.

Maybe you can find a friend with a newer NSX* and swap cats to make sure that is the problem. *An NSX that might be still be under warranty.

that just might take care of the problem for you.

drew

Where can u get the cat rebuilt and how much would that cost?

What is the risk of the RXP? It seems to do wonder according to the website.

Evoking - I had this error code on my Civic for the last 5k miles and thus I could not pass emissions. I just recently called my dealership and in my case, they will do the work....

However, I am no longer reproducing this error as I added a bottle of "CRC" and "RXP." RXP is not very well known but I found it highly recommended by a member here on Prime and decided to give it a shot. I think RXP did the trick b/c I had CRC for 3/4 of a gas tank and it still came back after re-setting it, however, after adding RXP for nearly 1 gas tank - with a little bit of CRC in the system - it no longer repro's.

If your Cat is failing mechanically, as I think mine is, this may prolong it and/or reduce engine emissions enough where the inefficiency is below the tipping point..

I'm quite pleasantly/unpleasantly surprised. I'm not sure if this will last, but I just went to emissions and passed via the OBD II data.
In my case, I'm hoping it fails again so I can get new parts for free :) but it's worth a shot if you're trying to mitigate it just enough until it goes away.
Also, you may want to call other dealerships and get a second review and/or contact the District manager(s) in the area. It is my understanding that, at the discretion of the dealerships, Honda/Acura can do emissions warranty work even after the 'warranty' period is over.

Nonetheless, RXP (www.rxp.com) worked for me and it is available @ Autozone. I have seen some posts about certain risks so you will need to determine whether it makes sense with the NSX.

Good luck!

UPDATE! In my case, the CEL with P0430 DID come back on after a few hundred miles -the longest period without it ever - and right after I passed emissios :biggrin: - so it seems that the magic juice (RXP) did not solve the problem..

In my case however, the dealership is going to fix the problem anyway...

Last edited:
And what year is your car that your dealer will fix? My dealer told me that it is an 8 year 80k warranty and I missed it by like 7 months.

It's an 01 (Civic) with 130K miles..
Have you contacted other dealerships for 2nd opinions, or asked to speak to the District Manager? Given how close it is, I would not give up easily...

Well apparently it was a fluke because the error code corrected itself and went off. I normally have to pull the clock fuse to reset it but this time it just went away one day and has not come back since. I would think that if the cat was bad it would remain bad and not go in an dout no?

Back