• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Escrow Transaction Questions.

Hello Prime Guys and Gals.

I am a current owner of a 2003 and looking to get a 2005 I ran across for a great deal. Im thinking this is a scam.... your thoughs..:confused:

Here was the response from the listing agent.

Thank you for viewing our ad. The NSX-T you are inquiring about is a consignment we are selling on behalf of it's celebrity owner. He does not want to be involved in the sale, so we are selling it via escrow. That is, you will deposit the money with an escrow company we will nominate, and receive the car for inspection with your local dealer or mechanic. This car is a certified preowned, but if anything is subpar with this car you can request a full refund from the escrow company straight away.
Returning to the car, it's a one owner low miles vehicle with no sign of previous incidents of any kind. The title is clean and free of liens, carfax confirms this as well. The car is trouble free in every sense of the word, with no previous body damage, paint damage, or problems. The mechanics and electrics function properly and there are full service records available. The interior is in top shape, no tears, stains, odours, and a non smoker car. Engine and transmission run, sound, and work great, no surprises and no excuses.
There's been quite some interest surrounding this car, so if you wish to buy it please let me know. We are ready to accept your offer in the asking price ball park range.

Sincerely,
Brian Swanson - Central Auto Sales

I demanded that I see the car before money change hands...

This was the response..

Joe, we are not asking you to pay any money to us or the owner until the car passes your inspection. The escrow company, CTS Capital - www.ctscapital.net, will be keeping hold of the funds until we deliver the car to you, you examine it and give your ok. Shipping is free with our enclosed single deck trailer to your door.

Sincerely,

Real simple, no inspection no funds. Been way to many scams, next thing you know, the escrow agent is in Lithuania!:eek:

Maybe he/she was calling from Lehman Bros., LOL!

Tell that you will happily use ebay's escrow service (it's legitimate and it works and does not have to be an ebay transaction to use as it is fee based). 99% sure they won't agree to that since they don't own the ebay escrow as they probably do the shyster company they recommended. If it's legitimate, they shouldn't care who the escrow company is as long as it is legitimate.

Or, tell them you wish to fly in to see and inspect the car in person and see what they have to say. Sure sounds like the standard scam, especially the free shipping part.

IT IS A SCAM. If you want to buy a car at any dealers, you need to see and drive the car. You like it, you negotiate and buy. NO DEPOSIT IS REQUIRED.

I will bet on my CAR that you will not see your deposit back, if you gave it to them.

I demanded that I see the car before money change hands...

This was the response..

Joe, we are not asking you to pay any money to us or the owner until the car passes your inspection. The escrow company, CTS Capital - www.ctscapital.net, will be keeping hold of the funds until we deliver the car to you, you examine it and give your ok. Shipping is free with our enclosed single deck trailer to your door.

Sincerely,

My Response----

Dear Brian.

I have purchased enough cars over the internet, 10 in the last 5 years, to know a scam when i see one.

I understand what it is that you want to do, Its too bad it has to be that way.

Nice car and good price and I have $50k cash in hand.

You realize that I live less than 20 min from your address?

If you really have this car, you would let me see it and send me a copy of the title that you said you had in hand.

If you want to continue in this fashion you won't be selling this car, if we can change some things, then I can have it out of your hands by Wednesday.

Thank you for your time, I hope you are not trying to pull a fast one, cause you will be reported to the internet crimes department at my local police department.

Joe Krelle

if a deal is to good to be true, it usually is. Glad to hear that you took caution and raised the red flag.

If you cannot use the escrow service of your choice. It is a scam. I dealt with Escrow.com a couple of time and it turned out great.

Back