• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

exhaust and header options

I finally got off my butt and bought 91, I bought it from a friend who'd had it for the last 10 or so years. He'd changed the springs, sway bars, wheels, and a couple other things but left the motor alone. The thing handles great but now that I've got it it's getting painted again and I'm thinking of adding a little extra HP.

That being the case what are the best options for power and sound?

I've seen the thread about the pro speed chip (that sounds like a winner). Is it all it's cracked up to be?

Are there better options for headers or any to stay away from?

Same thing for exhaust.

Years ago I heard a set of RM with the dual DTM's and fell in love, it's been awhile since then but am def interested in finding something with a F1 type sound. Just FYI I'll most likely be running test pipes. I don't want something so loud you can't drive the car without earplugs but I don't mind hearing the exhaust a bit either...

I understand that RM is no longer in business but also understand that Billy Boat still is and they were the actual manufacturer.

I'll start a build thread soon, I just need to take a bunch of pics of it.

TIA

For headers I would reccomend Taitec, Cantrell and DC Sports. Comptech is also pretty good but doesn't give quite as much power. For an F1 exhaust, consider the Pride exhaust. Note that these high pitched exhausts are quite complicated and therefore restrictive. I have seen some that actually lose power. Some x-pipe type designs like Angus' APX exhaust also have a high pitched sound but without the restriction.

I've got a '91 auto with the prospeed chip, comptech header, and Taitec GTLW exhaust. Never had it on a dyno, however good results with the butt dyno. The exhaust setup sounds fantastic, but I'll warn you it's loud. I love that, others may not...depends on what you're looking for. The plus with the Taitec GTLW is that it only weighs 16 lbs. My $0.02

Here in California we have to choose from either comptech or DC Sports for the CARB approval certificate. Otherwise the Taitec are supposed to be pretty good but at a hefty price.

I ran DC Sports headers and a R/M Exhaust with a Pro/Speed chip and did some before and after dynos and the Pro/Speed chip improved the throttle response and gave me 4-8HP depending on rpm. I was running about 266rwhp and 200tq. Car ran great with steady idle. I switched over to a Taitec JGTC Parallel and added Pro/Speed Cats and it was a bit too loud for my taste. The R/M has a low rumble but does drone at ~ 2000 rpm.

Best header, Fujitsubo. High pitched exhaust, ARC and GruppeM

Keep in mind the GruppeM deletes the cats, and both of those are difficult to get hold of - and big$$$

I had a GruppeM and it eventually developed a crack at the collector right down the "butt crack".. Being titanium, it was non trivial to repair. I was told by a good friend that this is inevitable for exhausts made of Ti.

If you are budget minded, you may want to consider headers from a newer model NSX. They fit perfect of course and flow nicely. When I did my turbo project I purchased a set of factory headers off a 2001. They were clean and only cost $300.00. This may save you money and not really sacrifice performance. Most will agree the factory ecm is about perfect and a "chip" won't do squat. I/H/E should net 35hp at the wheels.

As a side note, if you go with a full set of headers and custom exhaust, you are about 40% of the way to a full blown turbo package and 400 rwhp.

I have Cantrell Concepts headers with RM (B&B) exhaust with DTM tips and Prospeed chip. I bought the exhaust from B&B early last decade. I love the sound but wasn't able to do before/after. Search on NSX2398 in Youtube for sound clips inside and out. I'm using stock cats. I like the DTM look but the two tips are welded together and collect debris there. In a perfect world I'd rather have rolled tips with a gap between.

I have NA2 ('97) headers with the RM DTM exhaust. The sound is incredible. Best sounding exhaust for the NSX other than perhaps the Angus AP-X, in my opinion. Quiet at idle and at cruise. Fearsome roar when you get on the gas.

I have a used RM Racing exhaust with DTM tips for sale. It has a crack in the outer casing that can easily be welded and one of the tips has some dings, but it does sound phenomenal. I took some snaps for you. $300 plus shipping and paypal fees. Let me know.
Thanks,
Jay

Attachments

• NSX 002.jpg
    NSX 002.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 162
  • NSX 003.jpg
    NSX 003.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 141
  • NSX 004.jpg
    NSX 004.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 155
  • NSX 007.jpg
    NSX 007.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 150
  • NSX 008.jpg
    NSX 008.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 168
  • NSX 010.jpg
    NSX 010.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 115
I had a GruppeM and it eventually developed a crack at the collector right down the "butt crack".. Being titanium, it was non trivial to repair. I was told by a good friend that this is inevitable for exhausts made of Ti.

We can weld that back together... as we have fixed many Ti exhausts for the NSX.

Ti is a terrible material for longevity.. but it is amazingly lightweight.

LMK...

We also make an amazing exhaust system for the NSX.. sadly never mentioned.

Regards

I am partial to my exhaust, but I am not alone there. :)

Thanks for all the responses, it sounds like I'm not alone in liking the RM/BB exhaust.

Syndicate, thanks for the offer but it may be a little rougher than I'd like. I don't mind doing a little welding or even replacing the tips my concern would be that the internals of the exhaust were damaged. Out of curiosity though where in MD are you located? Reason I ask is I'm in the Virginia Beach area and make it up to DC on a regular basis so it may be worth taking a look at in person...

If you are budget minded, you may want to consider headers from a newer model NSX. They fit perfect of course and flow nicely. When I did my turbo project I purchased a set of factory headers off a 2001. They were clean and only cost $300.00. This may save you money and not really sacrifice performance. Most will agree the factory ecm is about perfect and a "chip" won't do squat. I/H/E should net 35hp at the wheels.

As a side note, if you go with a full set of headers and custom exhaust, you are about 40% of the way to a full blown turbo package and 400 rwhp.

+1, get the 1997-2005 NA2 full exhaust (header all the way back or the OEM Headers and an aftermarket exhaust)

I'm weary of a 35 HP at the wheels with I/H/E. I went from the stock 1995 full exhaust (with exhaust manifolds) to the newer OEM 2003 Header/exhaust combo, dyno showed a ~14-15HP gain. Then I put on an aftermarket Comptech exhaust and didn't "feel" any different, but I never dynoed it.

Then again changing out to the 2003 full exhaust, I couldn't "feel" that 15hp gain either. . soo who knows. .

Anyway, I also agree about the ECU chip. . personnally I don't think it's worth the price. The factory ECU is pretty good. Also, the factory airbox has been shown to do very well too. Honda spent a lot of time (and money) maximizing performance on the NSX.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses, it sounds like I'm not alone in liking the RM/BB exhaust.

Syndicate, thanks for the offer but it may be a little rougher than I'd like. I don't mind doing a little welding or even replacing the tips my concern would be that the internals of the exhaust were damaged. Out of curiosity though where in MD are you located? Reason I ask is I'm in the Virginia Beach area and make it up to DC on a regular basis so it may be worth taking a look at in person...

I am in columbia. This crack was not caused by impact. It was stress or something. I had the crack welded a long time ago and he cut it open enough to see inside. There was no damage because the crack was in outer casing only. The tubes inside are pipes with holes cut into them and the are surrounded by a material and they were fine. Everything was all good. The guy who welded it a long time ago should have cut a larger section out of the casing and weld a plate in, but he didnt. You are more than welcome to come by anytime. Let me know.
Thanks,
Jay

Last edited:
Back