• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Exhaust and Headers install price

Hi NSX-ers,

Newbie here... What should I expect to pay to have a shop install headers and exhaust for my '91 NSX?

I'm thinking of purchasing the Cantrell Headers and the GTLW exhaust from SOS. Will these packages fit in my NSX (trunk and/or passanger seat) so I can drive it to a shop for install or should I get it shipped directly there?

Also- it's tempting to go to the acura deal because he is only 2 blocks away from me- but I'm scared they will gouge me on the install cost.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brandon

If you have the tools and any mechanical ability I would suggest doing it yourself. I did both in less than six hours and If I had to do it again, I could do it in about three...
If you're going to pay to have it done I would guess around $350 to install the headers. If your mechanic is honest, he should just throw in the exhaust install since all you have to do is drop it down and hang the new one. Ten minutes tops! :biggrin: My two pennies... :cool:

I see you live in San Diego so you might have to double that rate from Kentucky... :rolleyes: :tongue:

Last edited:
I tend to ruin things.. haha

I want this done by a pro (or at least not me).
The dealer is located very close to me- but would this be a big no-no?
Will I get ripped off by them?

I'm getting oversized brakes, rims and tires put on by Niguel Motors in Aug.
But I don't want to wait that long for the headers/exhaust. And.. it's a bit of a drive up there.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area... what a great forum!!

I think the $350 price is reasonable, could be $450 depending on where you are located. One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes when you remove the original 02 sensors they can be damaged. It has happened to me a few times. So it is possible they will also need replacement when you do the header install. I have had some tough ones and they just fail when you remove them in the manifolds.

Do not think you tech is ripping you off, if he comes back and says you need them. My main point is consider this for budgetary reasons. Hopefully they will survive.

Regards,
LarryB

You can get the NTK OEM o2 sensors from Sparkplugs.com for $49 each. I bought new ones when I had my headers installed. I paid $350 for the install.

and how large is the packages for the headers and exhuast when shipped?
anyway I can fit it in the car when I drive to install location?

or better to have it shipped there?

thx!!

and how large is the packages for the headers and exhuast when shipped?
anyway I can fit it in the car when I drive to install location?

or better to have it shipped there?

thx!!

You could carry the headers in your trunk but the exhaust system is a different story. If it's not too much hassle, I would just have everything shipped to your mechanic just to be safe. Good luck with the install! :smile:

Last edited:
Thanks for the great responses

I am very excited to get this done.
Will be calling (another) order in to SOS today

Ordered that ECU board/chip install package last night.

:smile:

Last edited:
+1 on muffler not fitting in the car - ship to the mechanic.

I thought putting on headers was fairly tough and I do more DIY than most around here. I wouldn't start with that project if I was new to DIY.

$350 is a deal. Putting on the muffler (its not an "exhaust") is no extra work when doing the headers.

How many O2 sensors am I dealing with?

OBD1 cars have (2) OBDII cars have (4). The part numbers are different.

For OBDI there are two 02 sensors. I would not get them unless when you are done, you get a CEL. I am sorry if you thought I implied they are required, it is just that every once and a while they do get damaged. I tell everyone up front this may be a possibility before I do the installation.

Putting on the muffler (its not an "exhaust") is no extra work when doing the headers.

I have installed headers many times, and do not remove the "muffler";). It is a pain if you have no helper, the darn thing is awkward and heavy:).

Regards,
LarryB

Last edited:
DIY! i did mine while changing out my timing belt. not as hard you think, the hard part was getting the dumb heatshield off while the sensors were still on. well just the front side of the motor. i didnt have the right size wrench so i had no choice but to leave it on. well either save some money and bust your butt for several hours. or cough up the cash and let someone else do it.

I also provided my tech new OEM exhaust gaskets and OEM manifold nuts. A cheap investment.

plus 1 on the manifold studs. I have one snap off in my head this weekend. IT was a bitch getting it out.

$350 would be on the lower end for pricing. Figure most shops will charge 4-6 hours labor.

Back