• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Exhaust question e-mail

Lud

Legendary Member
PrimeAdmin
I'll point the author to this thread. I just don't have time to write in-depth replies to every e-mail, and plenty of you guys know more than I do about this kind of stuff anyway.

To: [email protected]
Subject: Exhaust system resonators
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 18:17:43 -0400

Since I put the cat-back system on my car,I get significant noise into the cabin from the muffler. I am told (by the muffler shop) that a resonator will stop this. How does this work? I am guessing that it interferes with the return pulse from the end of the pipe back to the muffler. Won't that also interfere with flow?

Can I wrap the muffler with a dense material for a reduction in surface emitted noise? How about a simple "shield" above the muffler? On a more technical tangent, could you locate a trap to act like a 1/4 wave antenna, but not be in the flow path? If this turns out to be a cheap product idea, you can keep it.

Thanks for your information.

Ray Woods

Raymond,

What kind of muffler/exhaust do you have? Did you buy it new or used? I've never heard of any complaints in regards to noise in the cabin from the exhaust. If it's used, could it be that the baffles in the muffler are blown out?

Is it loud at idle and/or during driving?

Give us more information so we can help you.

------------------
Richard
NSXTASY

Back