• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Exhaust tips - resonated or not?

I was looking for better looking exhaust tips for my '91 and I was thinking about Monza tips from Pacesetter Exhaust. They have models with resonators (95-9122) and without resonators (95-9822).

Do tip resonators make much of a difference in the sound? Anybody have any experience / opinions on the Monza tips? I didn't find any references to them using the Search.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Dave

lets define resonater tips.IMO a resonated tip is a layered thicker tip,that may have a mesh on the inside,or not.A non resonated tip is a thinner single layer.If we are all on the same page with that assumption then to me the non resonated tips are more blatty sounding and have a sharper metalic sound,were as the resonated tips are more muted,mellower but the volume of sound could still be similar.

Yes, I know this is a very old thread. But I'm more adverse to creating another thread on the same topic.

I'm looking to replace my STMPO muffler canister with the Magnaflow canister. The rest of the pipes are still STMPO.

I'm trying to get any of the tingy sound removed and I'm researching on resonated tips and came across this:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8ZAnSDWmUpw?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anyone know who makes this tip?

I like the unique shape.

Is your reason for changing the muffler/canister to get rid of the "tinny" sound your current stmpo system produces? If so, I'd suggest selling the stmpo exhaust completely and purchasing another unit that meets your sound requirements. I'm sure there's one out there for you.

Resonated tips can make quite a big difference, not in sound volume but regarding frequency characteristics. This is what I've learned after removing 4 resonated tips from a Remus muffler. Without them it sounds metallic. The difference is quite similar like in the video posted above.

Is your reason for changing the muffler/canister to get rid of the "tinny" sound your current stmpo system produces? If so, I'd suggest selling the stmpo exhaust completely and purchasing another unit that meets your sound requirements. I'm sure there's one out there for you.

I'm confident the magnaflow switch will suffice.

While we're on the subject of exhaust tips, I've been looking for a pair of rectangular 2.25 in. tips for my Comp-Tech muffler for years and can't seem to find any. Weld or clamp.
That shape would look bags better for the opening of the '92 rear valance than the big round Comp-Tech tips.
The closest i've found but don't have is on the muffler of the new Dodge Challenger.
Thoughts?

Cheers
nigel

Last edited:
wow thread from the dead.....nigel, quite honestly I went into one of those large "tuner" car stores many moons ago and thay had a huge selection of just exhaust tips....just try one in your area.

Back