• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Existing NSX owners to get special treatment? Some questions

Hi,
Does anyone know if Acura will be reaching out to existing NSX owners with regards to the launch of the next generation NSX? Would they do it directly or work through the PR firm they’re using to launch the new car? It would appear obvious that having those that currently own an NSX feeling as if they’re special or “in the know,” would be of significant value. Perhaps taking inspiration from Ferrari’s playbook and giving existing owners, who’ve demonstrated loyalty to the brand, a chance to buy one of the new cars before the general public would be a good move. How difficult would it be for Acura or their PR firm to locate existing owners? Does NSX Prime have a list of existing owners and contact information? How would Prime members feel about that list being provided to Acura?

Personally, I’ve written to Honda’s CEO and urged him to tap into the existing base of NSX owners. As a group, they tend to be well-respected by other specialty car owners. Unlike some exotic car owners who fall into the “more money than brains” category, NSX owners appear to know and appreciate great engineering and value. Other enthusiasts seem to recognize that. Having these folks on their side at launch could pay big benefits.

How do we get this message to the right people at Honda/Acura?

Last edited:
I too wrote several letters on the subject to both Honda's CEO and the Honda USA CEO.
I also talked to Ted Klaus about it at least year's NSXPO.

I've come away with the impression that Honda's sales and marketing efforts are geared to volume sales.
The recent marketing reorganization separating Honda and Acura sales groups is perhaps a step in the right direction.
However no sign yet they have any special plan for the NSX involving/rewarding existing owners.
A bit disappointing Honda doesn't have a mature marketing plan as you would see with Ferrari/Porsche etc.

I got a cold-call from my local dealer.....I don't know if that was a self start or a suggestion from corporate...I suspect the former.

From local dealerships, I have gotten a warm embrace.

From Honda Corporate I have been a bit disappointed and feel they are missing a crucial marketing opportunity. Even though many of us have no interest in purchasing the car, we are typically regarded as "NSX" experts by other car people. I know that I personally get questioned about the upcoming NSX at just about every car event I attend.

I don't think NSX owners are any more special than any other Honda or Acura customers. I, for one, am just scavenging old NSXs. I have not bought a new Honda since 1999. The last customer they want is probably me.
Steve

Why do anything special ?? They will be charging over MSRP at most dealers and that's the way it always goes with new intros.

When I enquired at my dealer (we still have a couple of MDX's) the response was:

"The owner of the dealership gets the 1st one".

Impressive huh?

Last edited:
Well, when the next gen NSX launches, it will be about 25 years since the launch of the first gen, and 10 years since the first gen stopped being sold. Chances are, there are very few original owners left. Most of the original owners likely moved on to other brands. So I don't see any real benefit to Honda to reach out to those few original owners that are left. Those that are interested in the new NSX will buy one if they can afford it and if they like the new car, so how is Honda going to benefit by giving special treatment to those few individuals? And most of the current owners have bought their NSXs used, so we are definitely not Honda's customers.

And Honda desperately needs to go after the "more money than brains" people, since they, by definition, have the money to spend.

Also, there is going to be more demand than supply for the first few months, so Honda will have no problem selling them at first. The question is whether they can sustain the sales when sports car buyers are notoriously fickle and quick to jump onto the Next Big Thing.

The easiest sale to make is an existing product to an existing customer
The second easiest sale to make is a new product to an existing customer.
All current NSX owners are existing customers, whether they bought new or used, so that would be a good place to start a marketing effort on selling a new product.

With the amount of capital Honda is investing in the new NSX one would think they would be thinking well beyond the initial flurry of the new car's launch.
Recalling Ted Klaus' comments about hoping to sell 1500 NSX's a year in North America it seems they will need a sustained marketing program to keep the units moving out.
Perhaps racing success, F1 engine success, track days, NSXPO like gatherings, and more will be needed to keep things going.
I think Ferrari, Porsche and others do this as a regular part of keeping their marque in front of both existing and potential customers.

You'd have to think Honda knows they will need to take market share away from existing marques like Ferrari/Porsche/Lamborghini but those sales will likely be much tougher than convincing an existing NSX owner to move up.
There must be the better part of 7000 NSX's on the road in North America.
If Honda could entice 10 % of the owners to buy a new NSX each year they'd be well on their way to reaching their sales goals

Current gen NSX can be purchased for anywhere between $25k to $60k for a good late model example. The new NSX will be $120k+. So how many current owners are able to afford buying the new one? That is the bottom line in marketing. It doesn't matter how much someone likes a particular product. It only matters if they can buy that product, so you direct your marketing effort to those who are fortunate enough (and stupid enough) to spend $120k+ on a toy. Also, chances are that most current NSX owners (certainly everyone on this forum) knows about the new NSX. And most car enthusiasts know about the new model, given how much exposure it has received. Therefore, those people have more or less already decided if they are interested in the new model. If they are interested, they will certainly look into purchasing one if they can afford it, so again, not really worth spending marketing dollars in those individuals. What Honda really needs to do is chase after the rich but not necessarily auto enthusiasts, those with "more money than brains." Yes, this is going to be a tough sell, since most of those are more interested in having a certain brand name than anything else. So they will continue to gravitate to Porsche, BMW, on up to Ferrari and other top name brands.

The one hopeful area will be those who were enamored when the original NSX came out, but were too young and poor to afford one. Now that they have had 25 years to hopefully make a lot of money, they may be interested in the next generation. Who knows how many that represents? But the fact is, Honda does not have a history of making high end sports cars comparable to the European or even American brands. Honda has to sell its cars on their merits rather than their heritage, and that can be a really tough sell.

When I enquired at my dealer (we still have a couple of MDX's) the response was:

"The owner of the dealership gets the 1st one".

Impressive huh?

RHIP - same as it ever was.

That said, I'm in the same boat as whiteNSXs above. MyNSX came to me used. Honda doesn't care about people who don't buy brand new Hondas.

Guys,
Acura has been historically unconnected with it's owner base, and unconnected with the luxury base, hence the development of the TSX, the TLX and RLX, and the new Gen NSX will not be any different. The sales and marketing people live in a bubble, (in BS Bingo terms "a silo") and aren't listening to anyone outside. You can look at the sales numbers vs the leaders in all of the categories, and understand. I just happen to be a fan of the engineering, the quality, and the longevity, along with my dealership and their attention to my needs for the past almost 30 years, and after 3 new ones, and 2 used ones, kudos to management, and complaints to corporate, you might think someone would ask at least one question of what I want. Are you kidding???? At one point, I faxed the Chairman of North American Acura. National Sales Manager called and said, "where did you get his fax number?" My reply, "Sir, wrong first question, you should be asking WHY did you fax the Chairman?.

When I purchased my s2000 I went to a bunch of events.. Including an event where we were able to drive on the track for the St Augustine Grand Prix. We had a photo shoot with Danika Patrick prior with over 30 s2000s.. Did honda put this together.. No.. But if they had it would have been even better. Honda/Acura has a very loyal fan base.. Wish they would realize that..

When I had an Audi tt, Audi hosted events at Sebring that I continuously got invited to. Made me love Audi.. Wish Acura would do something like this.. Especially with the new Nsx coming out!

Even my local Toyota/scion dealership has a monthly meet at their dealership that they host. If Acura would do that I would be there!

When S2000s first came out the dealers were told that in no way could they keep one of the early cars. To get a car, a bill of sale and a deposit cheque from a customer, was required. We sold these cars at our dealership at suggested retail, with no added markup, by the way. Somehow, I still have an original 2000 model year S2000 with 37000 kms that has never been registered for the road.:cool:

Thanks for all of the great feedback. Here's a summary of what I'm hearing:
- Acura has never been close to its user base, does not do customer events and has little interest in getting feedback from existing owners and that is unlikely to change with the second generation NSX.
- I'm an original owner as is akira3d, and we've heard nothing from Acura and we shouldn't expect to.
- Most on this string think that the target for this vehicle is the "more money than brains" people, and since most here seem to self-identify as "more brains than money," we should expect Acura/Honda to ignore us, as we're not the target buyers.
- The idea of selling the new generation NSX to 10% of the existing 7,000 NSX owners (700 cars a year on average) is not something Acura/Honda is interested in.
- And finally, the consensus seems to be that Acura/Honda sees no value in having existing NSX owners, as car experts, talking up the engineering value of the new offering vis a vis other cars in the category.

Does that about some it up?

Thanks for all of the great feedback. Here's a summary of what I'm hearing:
- Acura has never been close to its user base, does not do customer events and has little interest in getting feedback from existing owners and that is unlikely to change with the second generation NSX.
- I'm an original owner as is akira3d, and we've heard nothing from Acura and we shouldn't expect to.
- Most on this string think that the target for this vehicle is the "more money than brains" people, and since most here seem to self-identify as "more brains than money," we should expect Acura/Honda to ignore us, as we're not the target buyers.
- The idea of selling the new generation NSX to 10% of the existing 7,000 NSX owners (700 cars a year on average) is not something Acura/Honda is interested in.
- And finally, the consensus seems to be that Acura/Honda sees no value in having existing NSX owners, as car experts, talking up the engineering value of the new offering vis a vis other cars in the category.

Does that about some it up?

This all seems really reckless right? They are just building what they see fit and expecting someone to buy.

IMO though, I think they will still sell another 8,000 units for the second gen if not a bit more as long as the new NSX has the typical Honda reliability and performance that can be expected.

Olyar I think you are way off on all your assumptions. I own an 05, it is worth more than "60K", I am as far as I have been told, "first in line" for the new car. I am a real, genuine customer. Not only am I waiting to see what comes out, but I have also talked another friend into one. Who is ready and willing with a deposit. I think saying "more money than brains" is a bit of an insult to any group of people, people are diverse and in various financial positions. I agree with JD cross, it is a HUGE mistake that Acura is not reaching out to people like me, or wingZ, or any number of current NSX owners. There are a lot of guys here that own a $40,000 NSX... so what... some also own 6 other cars worth a million total.

When I bought my NSX I was looking for new but wound up with a 3000 mile 2005 car only because of color. And it has been 8 years and I still have not "moved on" to another brand. I have 15000 posts here. I have as much as a new NSX will cost invested in my CURRENT NSX. I just setup an NSX meet at my local Acura dealer.... What more could Honda want? How much more of an enthusiast can they have?

If they think people like me or JD cross who is an original 1991 owner are not worth reaching out to, then they are making a HUGE mistake. If I get bad service from my dealer or feel cheated because of price gouging or bad service, I am definitely gone. If that happens, with the halo car and that car's customers, Acura is doomed.

Turbo, don't take this the wrong way, but who cares what you think? Do you really believe that Honda cares what you, or I, or Jim or any of the current NSX owners think? Again, I don't see why it would be a HUGE mistake for Honda to not "reach out" to current owners. First of all, we are not their customers. We cannot buy cars directly from Honda/Acura. The dealers are their true customers, and we buy from the dealers. And the dealers are independent franchises, so no matter what you do for the local dealers, it doesn't affect Honda itself. Yes, it is good PR for the dealer, but that's it. If you or I or Jim decide not to buy the new NSX, Honda doesn't care as long as someone else is waiting in the wings. (And BTW, Jim if you ever do decide not to buy, I'll gladly take your place. Or if you want to swap places, let me know:smile:.)

So again, what really can Honda do to reach out to us? Since we need to interact with the local dealer, Honda's hands are tied except for maybe some token gestures. They can't give us discounts, since that would be up to the dealer (and given that the initial supply will be lower than demand, fat chance with that). Maybe provide some information? Better to provide that to the auto journals since they can more easily disseminate the information. Provide us with trinkets? Is that really going to sway your decision to buy this car? So what is it? What do you want from Honda?

And one last thing. When I said "who cares what you think," I mean that Honda is more concerned with reviews from the established journals and websites than individuals. Lets face it, if Honda builds a car we are all hoping for and JC proclaims it as the "Greatest sports car....in the wuuurrrlld!" and Chris Harris calls it the "Next Big Thing!", and Car&Driver or <insert your="" favourite="" car="" site=""> (insert favourite car site) calls it the greatest thing since sliced bread, do you really think Honda will care what we think? And do you really expect, at that point, that those of us who are currently interested in the car are not going to be rushing to our local Acura dealer and plonk down a deposit if we haven't already? I don't.

So again, why exactly should Honda reach out to us?</insert>

Last edited:
LOL I am glad you are not in Honda management man... That kind of attitude is what dooms a company. The dealer is NOT their customer. The dealer is their employee. I am their customer, and making your current Honda and Acura (and especially NSX) customers happy is huge. Half the people that buy NSX's are previous S2000 owners, half of those owners are previous civic owners. Brand loyalty matters a ton. Ignore us all and let us walk away and you should just go under. All of your points go against all established customer retention models.

They can do a lot for us. They know who we are. They can find NSX owners if there was a need for a recall. They can also find us to at the very least write a letter and say "thank you for owning out product, we have a special private debut setup for you at your local dealership". What does that cost? A night of time and a little extra electricity to power on some lights after hours? More would be welcome, especially for a guy willing to put down a deposit on a car. I was looking at Ford GT's and said forget it until I at least see the NSX. how can you say I don't matter?

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. I am sure Ted Klaus is a busy guy, but he took the time to come to NSXPO and he even answered some (to be honest) rather irelavent questions as well. So I don't think they think like you do. But still, they should reach out to individual owners.

Last edited:
At least, Honda should invite actual NSX owners to an exclusive avant-première presentation of the new NSX ...

Lamborghini did the same thing for special customers with the Aventador. No pictures were allowed but everybody enjoyed it a lot.

I don't think NSX owners are any more special than any other Honda or Acura customers. I, for one, am just scavenging old NSXs. I have not bought a new Honda since 1999. The last customer they want is probably me.
Steve

+1 ~ how many NSX owners can honestly say they bought their car new at the dealer???

Current NSX owners are nothing special so I see no reason we are to be treated different than an MDX owner, heck those owners might actually buy the car new from a dealer...haha

Existing NSX owners to get special treatment?..........................Does anyone know if Acura will be reaching out to existing NSX owners with regards to the launch of the next generation NSX?

Fire extinguishers to the first 100 buyers ? :rolleyes:

+1 ~ how many NSX owners can honestly say they bought their car new at the dealer???

Current NSX owners are nothing special so I see no reason we are to be treated different than an MDX owner, heck those owners might actually buy the car new from a dealer...haha

I did!

Back