• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Existing NSX owners to get special treatment? Some questions

lol me too^^^^

I don't know about the rest of the group, but I actually never believed that I would ever own one of these fantastic machines. If someone asked me in 1990 when they were first at the dealerships at $66,000, IMHO at that time a kings ransom when my first Legend was $18,900, "are you kidding?". I still could not justify that original price today for a toy.

At the price I paid for mine, and the subsequent enjoyment for the past almost 3 years, along with the "psychological benefit" (I consider my Dragon Lady a unique alternative to a shrink) only wish I could write it off as a medical expense <GGG>. This is a fine, reliable enjoyable machine that I will keep until I can't get in and out of it. Cheers, and I won't be buying a new one from the dealer, whether or not Acura research gives a rodent's posterior what I think.

well i actually got a survey on the new NSX
it was 10 pages long and had over 30 questions
about what i would like to see on the new car ...
that was 3 &1/2 years ag
o

Both sides of this argument are present, but let me say this: 20 years ago, Honda really did not care about nor cared to learn about marketing to it's fanatical base. I won't bore you with the nearly hundred reasons why, but in short, they failed to see added value in such a thing.

In 2013, Ted Klaus was granted permission by the mother ship to speak directly of the topic at NSXPO'13. From the inside, this is because American marketing and Ted himself felt the need to address current owners. This may look small and trivial to the general populous, but this actually marks a definitive shift in Honda marketing culture.

Despite the petty bitching that constantly permeates Prime, you must recognize that the 1st nsx was dropped like a bomb on an unknowing public. Honda IS approaching the new NSX differently. Not necessarily correctly, but different from past tactics.

Lamborghini did the same thing for special customers with the Aventador. No pictures were allowed but everybody enjoyed it a lot.

it's my understanding that Lamborghini just let previous and current Gallardo owners drive the new Huracan at an event in L.A. a few weeks back at Fontana. I wasn't there, but that's what I was told...

In early July I sent a letter to Michael Accavitti the GM of Acura USA.
Among other points I raised the question about why the lack of contact between Acura and the existing NSX owner base given the current owners represent a potential customer base for the new NSX.
I was contacted to today by a representative of the Acura customer service group on whose desk my letter eventually filtered down to.
He was well educated, knowledgeable, and most courteous but of course has no influence on Acura's future marketing.

What I did learn was:

The expected launch of the new NSX is targeted for the third quarter of 2015.

While there may be one in existence, there is no NSX specific marketing plan that has been circulated internally at Acura USA so far. The rep did say he expected Acura's traditional method of being low profile until just before a product launch then having a media blitz etc.

The new NSX is expected to come with an array of options and the customer will be asked to specify what he/she wants and that car will be to made order.
There won't be any cars made on spec to sit unsold in dealer lots.
Additionally Dealers who will be selling the NSX will be required to purchase equipment totalling about $80K to allow the dealer to service the car's turbo/electric driveline.

The representative made reference to " Acura realizes selling a $120 K car is much different than selling Civics" so that may be a hint as to a possible price point for the new car.

Michael Accavitti, while in charge of production, parts and service for Acura, does not hold the responsibility for the marketing of the new NSX.
Apparently the marketing programs for all Honda's and Acura's is held by someone else whose name I did not get.

It wasn't clear but sounded like Ted Klaus is part of a Honda corporate NSX project group and not part of Acura/Honda USA.

So not much new info gleaned.

In my mind it will be difficult initially for the new NSX to attract many new customers from the established European marques.
Convincing non-traditional buyers like Corvette owners to switch from the rumble of a cross plane V8 to a V6 will also be tough.
That leaves attracting customers from Japanese marques like Honda/Nissan/Toyota which is likely doable.
After that it's down to attracting new buyers to the $120K plus two seat sports car segment and not sure how large that new buyer base might be.

So.... we are delayed almost another year

Same story over here, you will not get one unless you order one so no dealer cars unless they order one themselves

Heck Honda won't even put the prototype NSX at NSXPO...what makes you think they are going to give current owners any special treatments?

Heck Honda won't even put the prototype NSX at NSXPO...what makes you think they are going to give current owners any special treatments?

I wasn't aware Honda had officially advised that the prototype wouldn't be at NSXPO.
When did you learn that?

Honda probably thinks like this:

The current owners of the original NSX can either afford the new NSX in which case they will be likely purchase one. No need to work on attracting this group.
Most of the current owners of the original NSX mostly bought it used and cannot afford the new one. No need to work on attracting this group either.

Since so few people bought the original NSX off the showroom floor new, to try to attract this small group is not the main goal if they want the new NSX to sell better.
Therefore they MUST market it to exactly the people who did not purchase the original NSX if they want this new NSX to be a financial success.

Since so few people bought the original NSX off the showroom floor new, to try to attract this small group is not the main goal if they want the new NSX to sell better.

I would argue all the NSX's on the road today (say 7500) were all bought new off the showroom floor.
But if the average NSX has had 4 owners then there's approx. 30,000 former and current NSX owners and don't you think Honda should pay attention to them?

First ones will be bought by the owner of the dealership anyway. I don't know how many they plan on producing and allocating to each dealer, it maybe 1 a year like before.

Honda probably thinks like this:

The current owners of the original NSX can either afford the new NSX in which case they will be likely purchase one. No need to work on attracting this group.
Most of the current owners of the original NSX mostly bought it used and cannot afford the new one. No need to work on attracting this group either.

Therefore they MUST market it to exactly the people who did not purchase the original NSX if they want this new NSX to be a financial success.

I think this is the rationale. However I don't think the first gen was a financial failure. It definitely was not lucrative, but failure? No. I think Honda met it's goal, even if it was a few years later than anticipated.

I think that if the rumor is true and it is built to spec/order, then they certainly have to make a VIP style sales process. This would increase the exclusive factor and rarity/specialty appeal. This could also increase the allure of the Acura brand... Maybe. I actually hope it sells right around same units as last gen before and if they update again for gen3.

I like the build to order strategy. As long as there is a basic model to see and drive.

Our current NSXs did not make money directly. Most "Halo" cars don't. Ferrari and Lambo can make money on their limited production cars because they are priced to make money and their marque alone generates those sales, mostly to existing customers who will always be willing to pay what it costs to own the name plate on the car. Where as, Honda, Toyota and Nissan don't have the mystique of Ferrari or Lambo though their "Halo" cars have been as good or better than the Italians. The new NSX will likely be the same. Halo cars are built to showcase engineering capabilities and new technologies that some of which will trickle down to the mainstream models. Our NSXs sold a lot of Legends and Integras for Acura/Honda. Hell I concidered purchasing an Integra when I realized I couldn't afford the NSX at $85K with dealer markup in 1991. It shared some of the NSX's advancements. To price the new NSX to cover all of the R&D costs of a car with the performance benchmark of an F458 or McLarin Mp4-12c would require a price point in the $225K range or more. Toyota found out that doesn't work with its LFA. However, the new NSX will have much of the same technology of the much higher priced LeFerrari and P1 but,will be sold at a rumored $150K which will be a bargin comparitively. At 800 to 1000 units/yr at $150K each, the math doesn't suggest much if any profit directly from NSX sales. Will the new NSX help the sale of Acura's other models? That will depend on how they make the connection between the NSX and those models through shared tech, design and marketing. As they did with the current NSX. Plus, they need the economy to hold up as well.

Last edited:
Our current NSXs did not make money directly. Most "Halo" cars don't. Ferrari and Lambo can make money on their limited production cars because they are priced to make money and their marquie alone generates those sales, mostly to existing customers who will always be willing to pay what it costs to own the name plate on the car. Where as, Honda, Toyota and Nissan don't have the mistique of Ferrari or Lambo though their "Halo" cars have been as good or better than the Italians. The new NSX will likely be the same. Halo cars are built to showcase engineering capabilities and new technologies that some of which will trickle down to the mainstream models. Our NSXs sold a lot of Legends and Integras for Acura/Honda. Hell I concidered purchasing an Integra when I realized I couldn't afford the NSX at $85K with dealer markup in 1991. It shared some of the NSX's advancements. To price the new NSX to cover all of the R&D costs of a car with the performance benchmark of an F458 or McLarin Mp4-12c would require a price point in the $225K range or more. Toyota found out that doesn't work with its LFA. However, the new NSX will have much of the same technology of the much higher priced LeFerrari and P1 but,will be sold at a rumored $150K which will be a bargin comparitively. At 800 to 1000 units/yr at $150K each, the math doesn't suggest much if any profit if any directly from NSX sales. Will the new NSX help the sale of Acura's other models? That will depend on how they make the connection between the NSX and those models through shared tech, design and marketing. As they did with the current NSX. Plus, they need the economy to hold up as well.

Great post!
While the NSX doesn't have the mystique and panache of the European marques it has that very Japanese trait of superior value and reliability.
I hope the new NSX will offer the same superior value and reliability.

I would argue all the NSX's on the road today (say 7500) were all bought new off the showroom floor.
But if the average NSX has had 4 owners then there's approx. 30,000 former and current NSX owners and don't you think Honda should pay attention to them?

Exactly! Very well said! We can also suppose that the financial power of those people has increased since then.

First ones will be bought by the owner of the dealership anyway. I don't know how many they plan on producing and allocating to each dealer, it maybe 1 a year like before.

As ususal, but wil be soon in the second hand market!

I think this is the rationale.

I think that if the rumor is true and it is built to spec/order, then they certainly have to make a VIP style sales process. This would increase the exclusive factor and rarity/specialty appeal. This could also increase the allure of the Acura brand...

No and yes.

I like the build to order strategy. As long as there is a basic model to see and drive.

Absolutely! A must, otherwise Honda will not be taken seriously and moreover, it will a very poorly executed marketing strategy for a halo product ...

Back