• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Experiences with Prothane bushing kit?

I received the kit form RFY. Full metalic. I will install this during the winter. I already have the rear beam and toe-links non compliance bushings installed. Hence they are not on this photo.

NK9f8jn.jpg

Since this thread was bumped it might be a good time for an update. So far so good on the modified Prothanes on my car. No squeaks and no noticeable added NVH. Car feels tighter than ever. Very happy I went through the effort. I do expect these to wear out sooner than the stock rubber bushings (which were probably still usable conditions after 30yrs for a loosey goosey street car).

Since this thread was bumped it might be a good time for an update. So far so good on the modified Prothanes on my car. No squeaks and no noticeable added NVH. Car feels tighter than ever. Very happy I went through the effort. I do expect these to wear out sooner than the stock rubber bushings (which were probably still usable conditions after 30yrs for a loosey goosey street car).
I may buy another set for a spare, actually. A lot less pressure to machine and work on these things when it's not holding up the completion of the car!

Just got my set for Xmas from my wife and I'll start taking suspension apart over the next few weeks on warm days. @RYU Did you find that you had to use the lathe, then test fit, then lathe again? I don't have a lathe here but I can use one at our shop, but it's a 20m drive. I'm ok with initial cut, and then maybe one follow up cut, but if it's a lot of on and off cutting/fitting/cutting I might just buy one.

Just got my set for Xmas from my wife and I'll start taking suspension apart over the next few weeks on warm days. @RYU Did you find that you had to use the lathe, then test fit, then lathe again? I don't have a lathe here but I can use one at our shop, but it's a 20m drive. I'm ok with initial cut, and then maybe one follow up cut, but if it's a lot of on and off cutting/fitting/cutting I might just buy one.
I basically eyeballed everything and it turned out fine.

Pulled the trigger on the Prothane kit too - so I'll have plenty of time figuring out a way to mod them properly. Got no access to any lathe here, I'll see if a belt sander or fixing the parts to a drill can do the job.

Back