• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

F1 2009 megathread

Re: What I said.........and what you heard

I'm curious, where are these naysayers? Anyone paying any attention at all would be quiet and watchful if not a cheerleader.
Are you saying their pace is not real? These last couple weeks people have been saying that Ferrari and McLaren were sandbagging, that the "Killer Bees" were running light, etc.. coming up with all these excuses. Honda definitely put in some time into the chassis, and it's showing and paying off. The other teams could improve and catch up as the season progresses, but there's no denying Brawn GP is dominating at the moment.

BTW, you're not a Hambone fan, are you?
Hmmmmmmmmm, where to start? I asked where these naysayers are, by which I mean forums where more than a few are saying the pace is not real. That means I don't know any myself. And you're asking me if I'm one? Or if I'm a Hambone fan? Where did that come from? I'm following Phil Huff and James Allen; is there anyone in the universe more knowledgable and convinced of the Brawn power than these guys? So, I'm serious; point me to forums where some people are so out of touch they think the Killer Bees can't be real.

My friend, we've been on the same page many if not most times, so I'm flabbergasted you missed my point completely. :eek:

To elaborate (dangerous, I know), I'm not a naysayer, but I am a skeptic, bordering on cynical, so I will make jokes about my real fear that the Ferrari mafia known as the FIA may manipulate the rules and April 14 appeal to take away the diffuser advantage. But having said that, look how well the Red Bull can go without "the diffuser", so Ross may very well still be at the front.

Hmmmmmmmmm, where to start? I asked where these naysayers are, by which I mean forums where more than a few are saying the pace is not real. That means I don't know any myself. And you're asking me if I'm one? Or if I'm a Hambone fan? Where did that come from? I'm following Phil Huff and James Allen; is there anyone in the universe more knowledgable and convinced of the Brawn power than these guys? So, I'm serious; point me to forums where some people are so out of touch they think the Killer Bees can't be real.

My friend, we've been on the same page many if not most times, so I'm flabbergasted you missed my point completely. :eek:

To elaborate (dangerous, I know), I'm not a naysayer, but I am a skeptic, bordering on cynical, so I will make jokes about my real fear that the Ferrari mafia known as the FIA may manipulate the rules and April 14 appeal to take away the diffuser advantage. But having said that, look how well the Red Bull can go without "the diffuser", so Ross may very well still be at the front.

forgive me, i've been up all night, haven't gone to bed. I misread your post. As for naysayers, well there sure is a lot over at FerrariChat. ;)

forgive me, i've been up all night, haven't gone to bed. I misread your post. As for naysayers, well there sure is a lot over at FerrariChat. ;)

I wouldnt expect any less from the snobs over at ferrarichat. They think ferrari is the greatest thing since sliced bread and ipods and that if anyone is faster......it must be because theyre cheating.

all I can say is, YIPEE!:biggrin:

Re: More fun facts

The Bees are the heaviest of the first 8 cars. So much for "running light".

The weights, sorted by grid order, are:

1. Jenson Button, Brawn GP, 664.5kg
2. Rubens Barrichello, Brawn GP, 666.5
3. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, 657
4. Robert Kubica, BMW Sauber, 650
5. Nico Rosberg, Williams, 657
6. Felipe Massa, Ferrari, 654
7. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 655.5
8. Mark Webber, Red Bull, 662
9. Nick Heidfeld, BMW Sauber, 691.5
10. Fernando Alonso, Renault, 680.7
11. Heikki Kovalainen, McLaren, 690.6
12. Nelson Piquet, Renault, 694.1
13. Giancarlo Fisichella, Force India 689
14. Kazuki Nakajima, Williams, 612.5
15. Sebastien Buemi, Toro Rosso, 675.5
16. Adrian Sutil, Force India, 684.5
17. Sebastien Bourdais, Toro Rosso, 662.5
18. Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, 655
19. Timo Glock, Toyota, 670
20. Jarno Trulli, Toyota, 660

Well, the world has turned upside down in so many bad ways, that this crazy development is sure something smile about. :smile:

Re: Virgin deal....just an MOU?

Did you catch that wierd announcement-interview or whatever venue Branson used to talk to reporters? Apparently there is no firm deal done and lots of work needs to be done. But both sides seem to acknowledge something is going forward and it'll be at least more significant than the Henri Lloyd sponsorship. And Branson's being treated like a VIP, so that must mean .............???? something, I'd think.

So who likes this idea? (A pretty good photoshop from the RealBrawn GP forum)

Rebel, you staying up all nite again tonite? And are you doing that defending the country or partying your ass off? Either way, Semper Fi

Well, he was one of the front runner to by Honda until Brawn and his pals bought the team. He dropped out of the deal citing reasons of high cost.

Now after seeing the result during testing and qualifying, he really want his name on the car. I hope he offers Brawn a healthy deal, he's got the money. After reading the press release, I think they already signed a deal. Maybe they want a bigger deal so they can change the name to Virgin Brawn GP.

This car now look like... Super Aguri reincarnation.

Two sponsors.
http://www2.brawngp.com/pdf/henrilloyd.pdf
http://www2.brawngp.com/pdf/virgin-partner.pdf

Here is the official Brawn GP Youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialBrawnGP

Last edited:
Re: Virgin deal....just an MOU?

Did you catch that wierd announcement-interview or whatever venue Branson used to talk to reporters? Apparently there is no firm deal done and lots of work needs to be done. But both sides seem to acknowledge something is going forward and it'll be at least more significant than the Henri Lloyd sponsorship. And Branson's being treated like a VIP, so that must mean .............???? something, I'd think.

Rebel, you staying up all nite again tonite? And are you doing that defending the country or partying your ass off? Either way, Semper Fi

Oh I'm staying up all night again. I just back in actually, went down to Wilmington to a lil partying. I'm just gonna throw some sweats, grab my tacos and McD's, grab a drink and head down to the TV lounge and watch Jenson or Rubens take P1 ;) I see BrawnGP taking at least 14 points tonight, if not 18.

Brawn GP, FTW!

^ words can't express my joy & happiness @ the mo' w/ Button/Barrichello finishing 1-2. Dare I say it, I'm @ a loss for words. Simply breathtaking & unfathomable. As a long-time BAR/Honda fan-follower, I am overcome w/ bliss & emotion. . .

Brawn GP 1 - 2 finish!!
1. Button
2. Barichello

Thanks in part to Kubica and Vettel.

Beautiful!!!

Button was as good as any drive can be. Rubens was great even after the hiccup. Job well done. Can't wait for the next race!!!

Barichello mentioned in the post interview that one of the McLarens that rear ended him destroyed the rear diffuser, proving that it's not just the diffuser that is giving the BrawnGP cars an advantage over the competition.

Brawn GP 1 - 2 finish!!
1. Button
2. Barichello

Woo Hoo!! Grats to JB and RB. Somewhere out there Honda exec's are weeping of what might have been. Then again their engines might have just blown up anyway. :rolleyes::wink::biggrin:

Just outstanding! Been following JB and RB since the early days, so glad that Brawn had faith in them when there are so many young, talented drivers out there...can't wait to watch the re-broadcast this pm!:biggrin:

"Killer Bees" finished 1 and 2!!!!! Im so happy for them both and i hope one of them take the championship this year because they well deserve it.
Honda developed an amazing chassis........too bad its running a merc engine and not a honda powerplant!!

Re: Regrets and doubters

Somewhere out there Honda exec's are weeping of what might have been.
Assuming Fred was actually in serious discussions with Ross last year, what do you suppose he's thinking right now? :redface: And I wonder how keen he will be to take the Kimster's seat next year, which will quite likely be vacant. :wink:

Barichello mentioned in the post interview that one of the McLarens that rear ended him destroyed the rear diffuser, proving that it's not just the diffuser that is giving the BrawnGP cars an advantage over the competition.
I hope Ruby did not exaggerate the amount of damage but it's safe to say that their performance is a heck of a lot more than just the diffuser. What will be interesting is to see how well Ross can stay out front of the pack as the FIA changes the rules and attempts to neutralize his dominence. The FIA have their work cut out for them if they're going to salvage the Red Cars' season. :rolleyes: With that being said, the underlying assumptions and background to the FIA-Red Cars conspiracy theory goes back to the dominence that Ross was responsible for. Just a thought.

Amazing!!! I'm still rooting for the team like they were still Honda.i think Brawn knew they would have a good chassis after Honda threw away the 08 season to develope the car for 09.the Merc engines were flawless,but then noone blew an engine.I'm sure all the other teams will open up the center diffuser.The work to stay in front will be a challenge.Exciting stuff.Brawn is a genious from his days at silkcut to Benneton ect. I have one nagging technichal question for you gurus and more informed guys....How does the kers system actualy turn the stored electrical or kinetic energy into usable horsepower:confused:AKAIK the technology to store the the energy from braking in batteries is simple enough but how is that juice creating a 6 sec burst of 80hp in a internal combustion engine? Is there actualy an electric motor connected to the drive axle? I heard the system weighs 40 Kgs surely a drive motor would add much more? Thoughts.....

I'm beside myself with joy and sadness. When the Honda bombshell broke, my faith in Honda and a new "NSX" reached a new low. It was really hard rooting for them last year, really hard! But when it became clear that they'd abandoned the campaign in pursuit of a better '09 car, the cynic in me momentarily took a back seat in the hopes Brawn might achieve the impossible and produce a car that could compete near the front of the pack with consistent results.

But how could I possibly even believe they'd place two cars on pole and finish 1, 2 in the season opener? Especially after Honda pulled out and with all the questions of survival. Sigh ... it's just so heartbreaking knowing it wasn't "Powered by Honda". Makes you wonder too, as others have suggested, what would have been the result had the power-plant remained? The same, better, or worse? I guess we'll never know, but for all of us long time supporters, it's really nice seeing such strong start. It certainly made the loss of sleep staying up half the night worth it.

Looking forward to Malaysia!

I'm waiting to see how the diffuser issue shakes out. Either Brawn GP and the others running it will have to remove it, or we'll likely see a bunch of other teams jump on the bandwagon. Either way, the racing will get tighter!

I'm waiting to see how the diffuser issue shakes out. Either Brawn GP and the others running it will have to remove it, or we'll likely see a bunch of other teams jump on the bandwagon. Either way, the racing will get tighter!

We don't know how much more effective those different diffusers actually are. Barichello's car had front wing AND rear diffuser damage, and he still performed awesome, even with a bad race start.

Now wouldn't it be something if they are deemed illegal and they are forced to change the design OR they are declared legal, all other teams copy and use similar diffusers, and they still get outperformed by Killer Bees and the two other "diffuser teams".

I don't think the diffuser three will have any problems. In the past when an illegal designed was accused, the burden usually lies on just one team. In this case, three teams shared similar design not through collaboration, but by individual interpreting the same rule.

The none diffuser teams were caught with their pants down. Instead of drastically redesign the bottom/rear of their car to match the D3, which will cost more and delay their ability to challenge the front runners, they want the D3 to altered their cars.

Not a fair game is it.

Interestingly, FIA often ruled in favor of Ferrari, let's see how they're going to do this time around, since there are more than one "defendants."

Back