• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Favourite Whisky

What's your favourite Whisky's. I'm looking to try some new ones, but not cheap nasty crap.
Love Johnny Gold Label, and Glenfiddich.

(ps. i did a search; hasn't been a whisky thread in 3yrs!!! :D )

Last edited:
I have taken a preference for smoky malts. Now my favorite scotch are the peaty ones from Bruchladich (sp?) and the black/green from Johnny Walker. Haven't tried the others Oban etc in a while so my memory is slipping regarding those.

However, I almost never reach for scotch these days if my stash of Bourbon is not empty. I simply love the Bookers and if that is empty go for either Willett or Knob Creek.

If you haven't tried a good American bourbon, it is definitely worth trying. Most single barrel ones end up being well made.

You can always pay more, but taste that cheap Jim Beam and next try an exspensive brand, and then tell me JB tastes cheap. Beer with JB chasers is a great way to unwind. But if you need to spend a lot to feel rich, spend baby spend.

I get picky for few rounds then buzz is all that matters so hit me Johnny Blue and need a cigar to handle that complex taste. Tick Tick...Switch to Black...I have no idea it happened.

Some how single malts are getting my attention.

Michter's Single Barrel American Straight Rye. 10 yrs old

This stuff is rare and from one of America's first distillers. Aged 10 yrs. in a hand-selected charred white oak barrel. From Bardstown, Kentucky.

For some reason, the aroma reminds me of my Grandpa. :smile:

I would call J. Walker Gold nasty cheap crap.

I like 18 y/o Glen Livet, 18 y/o Chivas regal, Yamazaki (prefer the 12 to the 18)

Chivas Regal 21 in the china flaggen. Nice smokey flavor.

JW Blue is a nice scotch as well.

But I started sipping on Remy Premier Cru Cognac. Not the "Excellance" they sell for $100 at Costco. You can only gt the XO Premier Cru in Europe, but it has converted me!!:eek:

Being from Kentucky, the only place in the world that makes true bourbon, I would say try Woodford Reserve. It gets high ratings from everyone.

Also, take a look at this page: http://www.bluekitchen.net/bourbonselect.html

Bryan
bourbon FTW.
I second woodford reserve, good for all occasions. Elijah Craig 18 is very yummy too but much to rich to finish the drink lol.

I have taken a preference for smoky malts. Now my favorite scotch are the peaty ones from Bruchladich (sp?) and the black/green from Johnny Walker. Haven't tried the others Oban etc in a while so my memory is slipping regarding those.

However, I almost never reach for scotch these days if my stash of Bourbon is not empty. I simply love the Bookers and if that is empty go for either Willett or Knob Creek.

If you haven't tried a good American bourbon, it is definitely worth trying. Most single barrel ones end up being well made.

Bookers. I tried that neat while ago and my tongue fell off. (in actuallity I drop tons of ice in the glass) I think it was like 300 proof. Can't remember the taste as it was so strong. :eek:

Auchentoshan Three Wood is not a golf club but a quite dark whisky aged in bourbon barrels then finished in both oloroso and Ximinez sherry casks, but offers no age statement on how long it spends in those barrels. At 86 proof it's a touch hotter than its little brothers, and more of a challenge than its little siblings, with a big slug of wood right up front. Huge caramel follows the wood, with an herbal, rosemary-like finish. There's a bit, but less, sherry character here than I'd have thought, which is kind of unfortunate since sherry finishes always intrigue me. Still, an admirable whisky that most Scotch aficionados will enjoy.

Auchentoshan-3-wood.JPG

Tullamore Dew (Black 43) The best Irish Whiskey you will ever have!
The Knot is good 100 proof almost a mapleish flavor but smooth and a good kick.

Last edited:
Tullamore Dew (Black 43) The best Irish Whiskey you will ever have!
The Knot is good 100 proof almost a mapleish flavor but smooth and a good kick.

which has the mapleish flavor with good kick? The Tullamore or The Knot?

Glenmorangie PX Sonnalta.

Glenmorangie_Sonnalta_PX_Private_Collection_1_0_Liter_8818.jpg

Being from Kentucky, the only place in the world that makes true bourbon, I would say try Woodford Reserve. It gets high ratings from everyone.

IMHO, Woodford Reserve is excellent bourbon. Makers Mark is a good, every day bourbon and while I like Bookers and Bakers I find they have a bit too much "bite" for my pallet most days. I don't like Jim Beam.

If I'm smoking cigars, I drink Lagavulin 16. If I'm not smoking (which I rarely do these days), I prefer the Macallan. I have a bottle of 12 (for when we have guests) and bottle of 18 here in the house at all times. I treated myself to a bottle of 25 year old when my son was born and I've so far only had 3 glasses of that. It's amazing. I prefer single malt but have had some very good blended scotch too.

I'm yet to find a good Irish or Canadian that I really like. But I keep trying:biggrin:

My personal opinion is that too many people get hung up on ratings and cost. Try a lot, see what you like. I've had some great, cheaper, no name scotch and some very expensive single malt that was highly, highly rated that I just didn't care for.

Back