• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Ferrari California official unveiled with FULL specs and details

L&E

Registered Member
Full press release and specs - http://www.modifiedle.com/events/archives/event_100.html

FERRARI CALIFORNIA UNVEILED
460 HP and 358 FT-LBS of TORQUE
October 2, 2008

Finally, the new Ferrari California has been officially been unveiled and already we’re daydreaming about cruising through Sonoma with the top down. With the sun in our faces and the wind in our hair, there’s no way we’re stopping at Mondavi (maybe another day). No… in this daydream we’re off to Infineon, because while the California is a great lazy-day four-seater convertible, it’s also a hard top coupe with 460 hp, a double-clutch paddle shift tranny and carbon ceramic brakes.

All 460 hp are available at 7750 rpm while the 358 ft-lbs of torque comes on at 5000 rpm. Ferrari says 268 ft-lbs will be available from just 2250 rpm – making the car more useable for every-day driving.

The California isn’t light at 3,825 lbs (with a weight distribution of 47/53), but these days that number isn’t exactly heavy either. Still, the weight doesn’t seem to matter as Ferrari claims the California will hit 60 mph in four seconds, run a quarter mile in 12.2 seconds and blast all the way to a top speed of 196 mph.

We can’t say it’s our favorite Ferrari in the looks category, but you can be sure the aesthetics are functional. Apparently the car has 10 percent less drag than other Ferrari models with a coefficient of .32. That also means it’s more efficient on gas – if only minutely so. What will really make a difference on gas consumption is the fact that this engine features direct injection technology.

And when it comes to the design of the car, we really do love those stacked exhaust pipes out back.

As for the interior, it will be offered as a two-seater or as a 2+ with a rear bench able to sit one or two passengers. The retractable hard-top takes just 14 seconds to open or close. Designed to be more luxurious and less sporting, the interior is a real gem. After just a close look it’s easily more in line with the 599 than the F430 – not that there’s anything wrong with the F430’s interior, it’s just that the 599 takes interior luxury to a higher plateau. As well, the California will come equipped with a four-screen 6.5-inch display screen.

On the steering wheel can be found Ferrari’s Manettino, although the choices are much more limited than usual. The California’s Manettino has three settings, Comfort, Sport and CST-off (which eliminates all electronic aides – except ABS).

We’re eager to make our daydream a reality and we’ll be sure to bring you news of how it drives as soon as we possibly can!

48839_080058car_top.jpg

GALLERY http://gallery.modifiedle.com/gallery2/main.php/v/modifiedle-com/ferrari_california/

It's a POS. It's not even a mid engine car.

It looks just like the Maserati.

It's too slow.

I can't believe they don't offer a hard top version.

I can't....

Actually, it's beautiful. I love the lines. I'll take that over a 360.

It's too slow.

I can't....

Kidding aside, are you bi-polar?

Kidding aside, are you bi-polar?

Nope. I don't believe in Bi-Polar either, or Advance Dip-shit Disease, Advance Dip-shit Hyper Disease, or...

From the previous Ferrari California threads, it's OK for Ferrari to built and FR car, and they're the most beautiful thing ever, but when Honda decides to go that route, let the bashing begin.

Last edited:
The stacked tail pips are the worst automotive trend since suicide doors. Hopefully their inclusion on future car design will be equally short.

Not too bad for an FR layout. The hood and lights remind me of a late model Celica. Hopefully a lot of 360 and 430 owners jump ship to this so I can get one of those used MR's from them cheap. :biggrin:

1968_Fiat_Dino_2000_spider_HQ[1].jpg

i like both cars...

It's too slow.

I can't....

It is a mid mounted front engine V8. 100% of the drive train is between the axles.

Not me. If it's not mid engined and rwd it's no real ferrari.

Now where is my servant. My tea and caviar was supposed to be here 45 seconds ago!

It is a mid mounted front engine V8. 100% of the drive train is between the axles.

So if the new NSX replacement is the same thing but with more cylinder, more power, does it make it just as sweet?

Slow? 0-60 in 4 seconds (probably conservative) and 12.2 in the 1/4... thats not slow.
Ferrari's quote maybe dead on, but never conservative.

4 second is OK in today's standard, even though I do agree with you that it is fast. The number against the GTR is identical without the 4WD (PTW ratio), the failure to to achieved the GTR number is some thing that bothers me.

Regardless, I'll take that over a standard F430, however, not the F430 Scuderia.

Last edited:
So if the new NSX replacement is the same thing but with more cylinder, more power, does it make it just as sweet?

Ferrari's quote maybe dead on, but never conservative.

4 second is OK in today's standard, even though I do agree with you that it is fast. The number against the GTR is identical without the 4WD (PTW ratio), the failure to to achieved the GTR number is some thing that bothers me.

Regardless, I'll take that over a standard F430, however, not the F430 Scuderia.

Not many cars out there are going to be able to match the GTR. The car is a monster. I don't know that any other manufacturer was ready for how fast that car really is. If Honda came out with a new NSX and it was slower than a GTR for twice the price, they would be crazy!

I guess it doesn't really matter what we think...

"Ferrari just confirmed that the Ferrari California is officially sold out through 2010. The 179,000 Euro supercoupe/cab is scheduled to be produced in batches of about 2,000 per year and has been a runaway success for the Maranello manufacturer. Company President Luca di Montezemolo was recently quoted as saying, "In 2008 there was the success of the Scuderia. 2009 will be characterized by the California. It has been an incredible success. We have already sold all of the 2008 and 2009 production. You have to now wait until 2011 for one."

Last edited:
It's o.k., but I'd personally rather have a Maserati GranTurismo S.

data.jpg

Back