• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Ferrari test turbos

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Ferrari-Concepts/233795/

Its funny how fcars are going green yet Honda and Toyota aren't for their supercars lol. Surprised Honda hasn't made more turbos in their lineup since RDX. Alot of ppl thought thats the direction honda was going. I like NA myself but a V8TT would be fine by me if it were rear engine vs a v10 front engine.
That would be awesome. I too wish Honda use more turbos in their line ups. A lot of the newer turbo cars actually get as good if not better gas mileage than its NA competitors.

BMW will be adding 4.4L V8 turbo to their X6 and 2010 5 series. The specs are incredible (400hp/440lb-ft torque). The 2011 Lotus Esprit also is suppose be to using the same BMW V8 Turbo engine tuned to 500hp.

There are a few turbo motors that are winners of several categories in the International Engine award 2008.

Here’s the list of the 2008 winners:

International Engine of the Year 2008
BMW 3-litre Twin-Turbo (135i, 335i, X6)

Best New Engine of 2008
BMW 2-litre Diesel Twin-Turbo (123D)

Green Engine of the Year
Toyota 1.5-litre Hybrid Synergy Drive (Prius)

Best Performance Engine
Porsche 3.6-litre Turbo (911 Turbo, 911 GT2)

Sub 1-litre
Toyota 1-litre (Aygo, Yaris, Peugeot 107, Citroën C1, Subaru Justy)

1-litre to 1.4-litre
Volkswagen 1.4-litre TSI Twincharger (Golf, Touran, Tiguan, Jetta)

1.4-litre to 1.8-litre
BMW-PSA 1.6-litre Turbo (MINI Cooper S, Clubman, Peugeot 207, 308)

1.8-litre to 2-litre
Volkswagen/Audi 2-litre Turbo (A3, A4 Cabrio, A6, TT, Eos, Jetta, Golf GTi, Altea, Leon, Skoda Octavia)

2-litre to 2.5-litre
Subaru 2.5-litre Turbo (Forester, Impreza, Outback, Legacy)

2.5-litre to 3-litre
BMW 3-litre Twin-Turbo (135i, 335i, X6)

3-litre to 4-litre
BMW 4-litre V8 (M3)

Above 4-litre
BMW 5-litre V10 (M5, M6)

Last edited:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Ferrari-Concepts/233795/

Its funny how fcars are going green yet Honda and Toyota aren't for their supercars lol. Surprised Honda hasn't made more turbos in their lineup since RDX. Alot of ppl thought thats the direction honda was going. I like NA myself but a V8TT would be fine by me if it were rear engine vs a v10 front engine.

Hmmmm.... Green? What green? No pictures of the engine bay...

In metropolitan cities such as Tokyo, LA, NY, Chicago, etc, Honda ULEV engines will put out cleaner air through the exhaust than the air it sucked in.:rolleyes:

Hmmmm... Honda Legend Turbo, Honda City Turbo, Acura RDX Turbo... And their DOHC VTEC system puts out more HP than probably 95% of the Turbo engines in the market....

To me, if you want to turbo the car, it better be super high performance like the F40 - light weight, low center gravity, small engine to HELP saving the weight.

If Ferrari comes out with a V6 turbo, they will loose their reputation as the greatest car manufacture in the world. This V6 will not be close to the F40, or put out more power than the current V8, or cleaner. In fact, Ferrari will loose even more reliability considering the FACT that they are still pertty bad still in Toyota/Honda standard.

And I doubt they want to be consider "Porsche" fighter by lowering them self to the P level.

Last edited:
Haven't you heard of the VCM system that will be employed in the V10 powred NSX replacement ? It shuts down one bank of cylinders at cruising speeds which is a green move if you ask me. :wink:

the only thing is that it wont be very reliable once it gets high mileage, and its resell value will be low ball.

When were Ferraris considered reliable? If anything, the Turbo V6 move might make it more reliable and definately more gas friendly. The XJ220 was Turbo V6, and I would take that over many Ferraris.

My favorite Ferrari is twin turbo and I'm not sure they have bettered it 20 years later. Long live the F40.

Back