• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Finally bought my first NSX !

Hello everybody,

I joined the forum a few months ago to try to find groups of NSX drivers going for rides in SoCal and I wasn't disappointed.
I met some great people and wonderful cars.

This led me to buy my very own NSX and what a joy.
It is a 1991 with 73k miles. I found it in Colorado and the drive back was amazing.

Now for the sad part, I have been dreading the smog and waiting for last minute to go and do it and sure enough this being California I am running into problems...
The car came with an HKS cold air intake which unfortunately doesn't have a CARB sticker on. It looks exactly as the Superflow model which is CARB approved but I doubt printing out the Executive Order from the CARB website will be enough to pass.

So now I am looking for help to see if I could borrow a stock filter housing just to pass the test. I won't have time to find one online but that is obviously the next step for future smog tests...

I am sorry to be here asking for help as my first real post (have posted before regarding drives but doesn't really count, right ?) but I know this is a tight community always looking out for each other and I hope I can be of some help in the future.
In fact there is a test drive in a Porsche 911 to anybody able to help :)

I wish you all a wonderful day.

Chris
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 1105161632a.jpg
    1105161632a.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 829
  • 1106160842d.jpg
    1106160842d.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 830
  • P6220036.jpg
    P6220036.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 814
  • P6220037.jpg
    P6220037.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 811
Congrats and welcome to the family. As you already know we are real active here in SoCal and we look forward to seeing you on drives next year.

Thanks Les, I take it out in turn with the 911, malibu, ach, etc
Can't wait to join you guys with the "right car" next time :)

Pm me I might be able to help you. My smog guy ran my NSX with a filter on it. So not a oem intake.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I happened to see this article in Autoweek online today. I'm not sure it will help your situation, but I think it's worth sharing. Before I bought my "Gem" NSX, I did find out it qualified for "historic" plates in Maryland since it's more than 20 years old (just). That also means emissions testing is not required and my insurance is significantly less expensive. Keeping mine stock anyway.
Good luck.
AJ

http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/car_inspection_requirements_by_state_a_compendium.html

Welcome from another black/ivory interior owner with 54K miles. Enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I happened to see this article in Autoweek online today. I'm not sure it will help your situation, but I think it's worth sharing. Before I bought my "Gem" NSX, I did find out it qualified for "historic" plates in Maryland since it's more than 20 years old (just). That also means emissions testing is not required and my insurance is significantly less expensive. Keeping mine stock anyway.
Good luck.
AJ

http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/car_inspection_requirements_by_state_a_compendium.html

I wish California was that easy..... They're trying to get our "gross polluters" off the roads out here and making it harder and harder every year to pass a smog test.:mad:

[MENTION=32783]911TT[/MENTION] congrats!!! We'll be doing some drives here soon I hope!!! Football season is almost over, so that will help free up my Sunday's :tongue:

^^^^ What 91X says. In California the age of the vehicle does not matter. It has cats, o2 sensors, and emission controlling devices. I sure wish they would give us a free pass. But they are democrats here and love deep pockets of hard working people.

Good luck.
AJ

I got another car with Quebec plates, that might be my way out.
But seriously, for now I will try a few things before the retest and if it fails again I'll just do it "the wrong way".
Thanks for the info still and Merry Christmas

I wish California was that easy..... They're trying to get our "gross polluters" off the roads out here and making it harder and harder every year to pass a smog test.:mad:

@911TT congrats!!! We'll be doing some drives here soon I hope!!! Football season is almost over, so that will help free up my Sunday's :tongue:

Thanks 91 X,

I will not let this put me down, I am taking the NSX for a drive to Malibu tomorrow, or up Angeles Crest Highway so take some snowy photos, havent decided yet but either way it will be a fun Christmas.

Congrats and looks great! I'm digging the wheels too. Are those the Ray's 57Xtreme?

911TT Congrats, and welcome. I am getting a kick out of the commentary and the help is always forthcoming from the gang on this forum. Been with the site since before I first bought mine, drove it back alone to St. Louis from Boston, 1206 miles, 2 days, one of the best trips I have taken after traveling the entire country for 40 years, and couldn't be happier with the car.

One solution would be to move to Missouri. <GGG> Not much smog, you get to use your car almost 12 months a year, and if you are so inclined, you can drive it in the snow, ice etc. when we get it.

we passed smog !

911TT Congrats, and welcome. I am getting a kick out of the commentary and the help is always forthcoming from the gang on this forum. Been with the site since before I first bought mine, drove it back alone to St. Louis from Boston, 1206 miles, 2 days, one of the best trips I have taken after traveling the entire country for 40 years, and couldn't be happier with the car.

One solution would be to move to Missouri. <ggg> Not much smog, you get to use your car almost 12 months a year, and if you are so inclined, you can drive it in the snow, ice etc. when we get it.

I went to smog the car this morning and it passed ! what a great way to start the year. So Missouri will have to wait a little bit.

This forum has been very helpful to achieve this result and I will be posting details in the thread where I found the info that lead to this great result. California is not helping us but by helping each other we still manage to get things done.

I wish you all the best for 2017 and I expect to meet some of you very soon on the great roads of SoCal.

attachment.php

</ggg>

Attachments

• 1106160934.jpg
    1106160934.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 373
Welcome to the fold. Looks like your NSX is keeping good company. What a great part of the country to own an NSX- so many active owners and drives with great curves and beautiful scenery. Keep up the pics now that you're back to legal.

I went to smog the car this morning and it passed ! what a great way to start the year. So Missouri will have to wait a little bit.

This forum has been very helpful to achieve this result and I will be posting details in the thread where I found the info that lead to this great result. California is not helping us but by helping each other we still manage to get things done.

I wish you all the best for 2017 and I expect to meet some of you very soon on the great roads of SoCal.

attachment.php

</ggg>

First Sir....... CONGRATS!

Secondly........ there are few things that can detract from an NSX pic, but you did it with a sweet F430 Scuderia. :eek: Damn!

Back