• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Finally finished my backup camera install... a year later.

I installed a backup camera last year but never really completed the project because I can't find a display screen solution for it.

I also did not want to go full double din because the cost of the console, the bracket, and the loss of the center tray. I am also aware due to the slop of our console, the screen is washed out unless the DD unit has reverse tilt, which are pretty rare and expensive. I also try to avoid in dash navi as they are not as easy to update as portable navigation devices.

I bought one of those rear view mirrors with built-in LCD, but the screen was too small and I soon abandoned that idea too.

Finally, I discovered the new 7" Garmin's (RV760LMT, DEZL760LMT, and 2798LMT) have rear camera input! Since I was in the market of getting a navigation they sound like a good solution.

I bought a RV760LMT after I read somewhere (which I can no longer verify) that the DEZL and the 2798 can only use the Garmin camera. I finally installed everything.

Installation steps:

1. Installed backup camera - I tapped into the backup bulb for power, route the video cable from the trunk all the way to the center console per FAQ.
2. Power - I have to use the garmin power cable that goes into the cig socket since the traffic antenna is built into the cable and I want to retain the traffic functionality. I ended up running a power lead from the fuse box and added a cig socket. I plugged the stock garmin power cable into this cig socket and hid it behind the console.
3. Mount - I removed the clock, trim and bend a piece of aluminum so that it will mount into the two screw holes of the center vent piece, gorilla glued a large suction plate on to the aluminum mount, and mount my RAM suction cup mount onto it.
4. backup camera to garmin connection - The backup camera ends with a RCA male plug and Garmin has a 3.5mm female input. I went to radio shack and bought a female-female RCA coupler and a stereo male -> 2 RCA male mono adaptor (red/white).

backup camera - RCA male -> female-female -> red RCA male - 3.5mm stereo male -> Garmin

I ended up with this...

Backup camera - I mounted under the license plate.

camera1.jpg

Ready to Navigate!

camera2.jpg

Rear view - it will switch to the rear view camera automatically if you tap the rear view camera power to the back up bulb. One sucky part is that rear view won't turn on unless you accept the Garmin boot-up disclaimer.

camera3.jpg

Trip computer

camera4.jpg

Look closer - it's a NSX!

camera5.jpg

View from front and top...

camera6.jpg

I will zip-tie those cables together later.

camera7.jpg

So far I love it! The screen the big and bright, the unit is fast, and the camera works perfectly. I also have lifetime map and traffic which comes with the unit. The RAM mount for the Garmin RV760 is not designed well but it does place the unit close enough to me that I don't have to reach for it.

Cost breakdown

Garmin RV760LMT - $399
RAM mount - $60
Backup camera - $15
3.5mm to RCA cable - $12
Female to female coupler - $2
Aluminium plate + suction plate - $10
Misc wires, power tap, zip ties - $free

It came a hair under $500. It's not as clean as an in-dash install but I am willing to trade that for lifetime map and traffic.

:smile:

Last edited:
Very cool. Can you fit that screen inside the nav pod for cleaner look?

I think it might be too big. The enclosure might also block GPS reception and moves the unit too far to reach it comfortably.

This worked pretty well, seamless operation when I tried it. Nice work Kenny!

Kenny, this looks really nice, good job. Can you tell me how you connect to the reverse bulb? I'm going to put the Garmin 2798LMT in the nav pod and see how it works out.

That was the easy part, The backup camera plug has two leads - black (ground) and red (power). I simply tapped the red wire into one of the reverse light power and the black to a ground. Route the camera power plug OUT through the grommet.

I also route the long RCA video cable out through the same grommet. Since both connectors (power and video) are now outside of the trunk, it is very easy for me to replace the rear view camera if need be.

In fact, I just replaced the rear view camera last month to a model without the back up guide lines in under 5 minutes. The Garmin features adjustable back up line so now the guidelines line up perfectly on the camera.

B2FiNiTY, I guess I'll be the guinea pig, haha..... When I purchased the car it came with a Pioneer GPS DVD system and backup camera (that's doesn't work) with a 6 inch LCD in the Nav Pod. It's a horrible unit compare to today's standard. It's touch screen is not working well, you actually have to touch the spot more towards the right to get it right. The backup camera never worked and I just can't find the right wires to check on. So I've looked into the demension of the Nav Pod and the demension on the Garmin 2798LMT with wireless backup camera. If the specs on both is correct, it should fit. I just recieved the Garmin, just waiting for my car to come back from Vince's Autobody for a bumper scratch fix. Can't wait to start this project. I'm going to use the cigarette lighter adpator method here to hardwire it. That's because I must since it has the Traffic receiver inside the cigarette adpater. The only worrry I have is one, the fitting inside the Nav Pod (hope it fits), the other is the Traffice and Map signal since the unit will be inside the Nav Pod, not sure if that will take away a lot of the signal. I did search the web and found quite of few people have done this setup, Honda Accord, Pilots, etc and they've reported good signals. Will report back on my results once I'm done.

Frankie

Back