• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Finally reached 200K+

Engine finally broke-in at 200k on my way from San Diego to Santa Barbara round trip late nite driving on purpose at 65mph with fake CA 91 gas cked in at 30mpg...

Driving from SD to Chattanooga thru TX right now using real 93 gas at 75-80mph and mileage yielded at 34mpg with a tailwind. Man. TX is too big! Gas here is ~buck 1/2 to 2 bucks lower than CA....its cray-see! Time to move to the Smokeys....I brought x-tra 5-30 but it didn't burn any oil!!

Last edited:
Congrats! I'm just a couple of 1000 behind you. So, what are your future plans for the engine? I'm due for major service and am wondering if it's time for an engine refresh. I'm not burning any oil and compression is even but getting to be near minimums. I gather that high mileage bores start to get a bit oval so I'm guessing things are going to need a re-bore at some point. What are your thoughts?

So, what are your future plans for the engine? I'm due for major service and am wondering if it's time for an engine refresh. I'm not burning any oil and compression is even but getting to be near minimums. I gather that high mileage bores start to get a bit oval so I'm guessing things are going to need a re-bore at some point. What are your thoughts?

Just landed in SD, I am at 203K now:smile:

Considering the C30 is open deck and quite a lump. the natural route would be a refresh with ITB and be done with it as everything bolts on but simple OEM parts are nearly 3X as a few years ago if you can find them and you still end up with the same engine. I have baffles but I like to have a proper dry sump as the C30 oil heats up really fast and hard to find a place to put a proper cooler. I like to have a cleaner oil solution than Accusump like I had on other cars.

I do have something in mind that allows me to have a lower CG, dry sump, and lower weight, ITB, up the revs, etc. I have done preliminary planning but this will be a project that require lots of fabrication and I am running out of time so maybe just keep driving until it dies. Just can't have all the wants in life sometimes.

There are a couple cars down here that are 300k+ so I have a long way to go.

Taking an annual trip to Edmonton in two months and that will be much more fun exploring the front and back side of the Rockies.

Last edited:
Just landed in SD, I am at 203K now:smile:

Considering the C30 is open deck and quite a lump. the natural route would be a refresh with ITB and be done with it as everything bolts on but simple OEM parts are nearly 3X as a few years ago if you can find them and you still end up with the same engine. I have baffles but I like to have a proper dry sump as the C30 oil heats up really fast and hard to find a place to put a proper cooler. I like to have a cleaner oil solution than Accusump like I had on other cars.

I do have something in mind that allows me to have a lower CG, dry sump, and lower weight, ITB, up the revs, etc. I have done preliminary planning but this will be a project that require lots of fabrication and I am running out of time so maybe just keep driving until it dies. Just can't have all the wants in life sometimes.

There are a couple cars down here that are 300k+ so I have a long way to go.

Taking an annual trip to Edmonton in two months and that will be much more fun exploring the front and back side of the Rockies.

Tks for the comments and perspectives. I do have baffles but haven't tracked it since SMMR in Vegas in 2010. Re: your 300k comment .. yes, I know of a few .. most of my miles were highway miles and it's been well maintained most of it's life so I'm not particularly worried about the motor. Although as you say, parts are starting to get expensive and hard to find so a refresh now might be easier than in 5 years. Had the clutch and associated cylinders replaced a few years ago so should be good for a while but I worry a bit about the tran'y and synchros ... although all the highway use should have been easier on it. I had the injectors done at about 170k but I'm probably overdue for fuel pump/FPRs etc. Replaced the ABS with the SOS kit about 10 years ago .. expensive and not an easy DIY but worth it.

Enjoy the Rockies this summer .. beautiful scenery and some great roads. Price of gas is expensive up here .. especially in BC especially in Vancouver where it's currently about $1.80/liter Cdn .. but you can buy a lot more of it with the strong US$ to Cdn$ exchange rate plus our gallons are 25% larger which make them look more expensive.

I only track to shake down new parts and not going 10/10 or want 10th quicker as there is no $ reward and don't want to risk off track or breaking parts any more......was excited about the 02' ABS upgrade($$$$ + uber pita labor) then I realized my 93 ABS was designed in the '80s(x386 era) and the '02 was designed in the '90s(x486 era)...a good mod but not an upgrade even it is better. The price for the Bosche ABS M4 has gone down quite a bit $$$$ since the latest M5 version$$$$$ came out. That would be a more up-2-date set up as it is much more parametric instead of working off only the speed sensor input.

I got rid of my 45lb.+ oem 6spd clutch in place of a 21lb. Exedy twin carbon and while Nick at Applied installed the twin spline input shaft, I had the whole thing REM'd as I do want to keep this car for as long as I can drive it. I am just not in love with the C30 anymore as there are other better offerings but the chassis and suspension is still very svelte piece of engineering that I care.

Buddy in Edm took a pix of the NSX below....looks like a 2005....I hope other cars have decent ABS to save his NSX:wink: I hate to spend $$$$ on a part that I don't use or can feel often and I can control the car using my head.

Even X-Jenson Button NSX has many miles but just broke in.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/f1-champ-button-apos-old-125409279.html

Attachments

• ab nsx.jpg
    ab nsx.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 117
Back