• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Finally, the car that I have always lusted after!

I have to say that I am proud to finally be visiting this site as an official owner of an NSX. After owning such vehicles as Saleen Mustangs, a Ferrari 308, a Dodge Viper, Plymouth Prowler, 3000 GT VR-4, and Mustang Cobra R (which I still own), I am leaving in the morning to pick up a red on black 1991 NSX. The car has 73K miles with two previous owners. Although I have not seen the car in person, I am purchasing from a reputable dealer so I don't have any worries. The purchase price was only $26,000 which included a set of OZ three-piece wheels and tires as well as the factory rolling stock. Although I have driven several of these cars and have read about them many times, I was just wondering if there is anything that I should be aware of. I already know about the snap-ring issue and radio problems but these were the only two issues that seem to plague the car. Any help would be truly appreciated. Other than that, I am just waiting for the long 3 hour plane ride so I can make the short 14 hour drive back. I look forward to speaking with many of you in the future.

BR

Ask if the timing belt has been replaced along with the H2O pump. That's the only thing I can think of. Enjoy.

First of all, congratulations. I hope your NSX brings you miles of smiles.

Second of all, welcome to the cult.

Third, do yourself a huge favor. Take the time to read through the FAQ section of this board. I guarantee it will answer 99% of any questions you might have (including those that you've asked). It's also pleasurable reading if your enthusiastic about your car (and how could you not be). Finally, read your owners manual.

Congrats. I'm sure you'll be really happy w/ your new acquisition. A 14 hour drive is a great way to become friends with your new NSX!

Mirroredshades said:
When was the timing belt and/or clutch replaced. Both of these should have been done recently and are around $2k each.
The timing belt replacement is recommended for every 90K miles or 6 years, whichever comes first. On a '91, it should have recently been done for the second time. It costs $1200-1400.

Clutch lifespan varies considerably. While many of them need replacement at 30-50K miles, some last less than that, and others last as much as 100K miles. Unless you are having other transmission work done anyway, just keep driving it. When it starts to slip, then replace it. (It should cost $2200-2500.)

Back