• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

First drive in an NSX today, is this normal?

Hey guys.

I test drove a 95 NSX today. My first time behind the wheel of one of these bad boys.

The car has 78k miles on it and had a new clutch supposedly 3 years ago at 57k by a local dealer.

The clutch pedal feels very odd to me. Probably because I'm used to my s2000. Where if you barely let off the clutch the car feels like its gonna stall out and you've gotta give it some gas.

This NSX was vastly different. I would have to let the clutch out for what fel like a good 3-4 inches before it would start to catch and needed gas to not stall out

So the question is, is that how it's supposed to feel? Just supposed to have a longer travel? Hope I described that right.

If it's not normal any ideas what's up with it? Car looks absolutely immaculate otherwise.

Yes, my clutch tends to not engage until "very high". Meaning I am about 3/4 "off the pedal" before the clutch engages. Most other NSXs I have driven had the same clutch feel.

Not True,

I drove several NSX's before I bought mine, and 1 out of the 3 I test drove, the clutch was skeptical. The one I bought and currently own has the same clutch response as my Type R integra. The stock clutch should be very driver friendly, and if You feel that the clutch on this car that you drove, is not up to par, then it could very well be that it was not driven well, or could be abused.

This is My opinion based on My experience when it came to choosing the right NSX for Me. If you are hesitant, just wait it out and the right NSX will come to You.

yup, perfectly normal for a oem clutch to grab that high.

Agree - very much as I would describe the difference on my S2000 and my NSX. In fact, it is an interesting experience when I go from one car immediately to the other. Both have been described to me (by mechanics who work on each) as normal and in need of no adjustment.

Hope you acquire your NSX someday soon. You'll love it !! Jay

Hey guys.

I test drove a 95 NSX today. My first time behind the wheel of one of these bad boys.

The car has 78k miles on it and had a new clutch supposedly 3 years ago at 57k by a local dealer.

The clutch pedal feels very odd to me. Probably because I'm used to my s2000. Where if you barely let off the clutch the car feels like its gonna stall out and you've gotta give it some gas.

This NSX was vastly different. I would have to let the clutch out for what fel like a good 3-4 inches before it would start to catch and needed gas to not stall out

So the question is, is that how it's supposed to feel? Just supposed to have a longer travel? Hope I described that right.

If it's not normal any ideas what's up with it? Car looks absolutely immaculate otherwise.

Normal... OEM clutch engages fairly high.

I understand the feels like it stalls. B4 I bought mine it had the stall feeling, like slipping or something. It was just a different clutch than I was use to. After a week everything was in order. And yea, the s2k clutch is wayyy diff. It feels like it grabs right off the bat where the nsx is like a few inches. IMO I like the s2k more as to me it feels more responsive and stiff unlike the nsx that seems more daily driver friendly.

I had my clutch replaced about 3k miles ago last year by "the barn man", one of our most renowned NSX mechanics country wide, it does the same thing. It bugged me at first and I thought something was wrong. It actually made a little chatter at first till it finally got "broken in". I am very easy on a clutch so it took a while for mine to get broken in fully.

This car is heavy - it weighs in at almost 3k pounds so you have to give it a little gas - not much but some or it will surely stall. Your clutch sound perfectly fine to me. I wouldn't worry about it or the car you looked at - guess you haven't bought one yet. Good luck on your search but any car you look at that has a new clutch and all the other maintenance up to speed like the TB/WP and hoses - well that's a big plus even with some miles on it like this one. Sounds like you have found a good one.

What's it selling for in $$$s?

Thanks for all your help guys!

The one I am looking at has had all the maintenance done on it with documentation...

I'm excited, this is my 2nd attempt at an NSX hopefully it happens!

Will report back on Thurs Afternoon if it happens or not :)

Like you, I was worried about the clutch feel and personally did not like it. Compared to my Prelude it just did not feel right because it does not grab right away and I have to give it more gas in order to prevent stalling out. With this in mind, I had two dealerships NSX tech's look at the clutch and both said it normal. Someday I'll upgrade to something better like the SOS clutch but with only 10K on the clutch, it will be awhile before this happens. I even informed my friend about this before he purchased his 92'. He said it was exactly as I described.

Good luck w/the purchase.

Thanks for all your help guys!

The one I am looking at has had all the maintenance done on it with documentation...

I'm excited, this is my 2nd attempt at an NSX hopefully it happens!

Will report back on Thurs Afternoon if it happens or not :)
Is this a members car?

Is this a members car?

Yes but not listed for sale on the forum... I'd say more about it but I'm kinda superstitious and I dont want to jinx it till it either does or does not happen.

Each of the last 2 owners were on prime (perhaps even the 1st owner) I'll be the 4th if it happens. I have spoken to each of the last 2... have not spoken to the 1st but got full details from the 2nd on the 1st. lol hopefully that made sense.

Yes but not listed for sale on the forum... I'd say more about it but I'm kinda superstitious and I dont want to jinx it till it either does or does not happen.

Each of the last 2 owners were on prime (perhaps even the 1st owner) I'll be the 4th if it happens. I have spoken to each of the last 2... have not spoken to the 1st but got full details from the 2nd on the 1st. lol hopefully that made sense.

Are you sure you're ready this time :biggrin:, just get the NSX already to get it out of your system otherwise you'll be restless and more restless . . .:biggrin:

Are you sure you're ready this time :biggrin:, just get the NSX already to get it out of your system otherwise you'll be restless and more restless . . .:biggrin:

Man I cry myself to sleep at night for losing out on yours...

Back