• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

First month of ownership...hidden costs!

So it's been exactly a month since I traded my 350Z for the NSX. I want to warn everyone of the hidden costs of this car! It's draining my pocket book! :smile:

$979 - Alarm
$150 - Center Consol for aftermarket radio
$ 55 - Cup Holder
$ 40 - light bulbs off ebay
$410 - HID's from WhiteNSX because bulbs off ebay suck
$ 70 - Gruppe M shift knob
$ 45 - M3 lip spoiler
$ 50 - Custom leather shift boot
$ 77 - Blue Bat overlays
$ 58 - Throttle Body cover
$ 10 - Custom trunk cargo net
$ 30 - Various cleaning products for int/ext
$ 45- Custom license plate

Total: $2019

Holy crap, I could have bought rims. :redface:

Now I understand what everyone is talking about...this is one expensive car! lol

CDX_NSX said:
Umm.... Most of those things are pretty generic and would cost the same regardless of the car. ;)

Yeah, that was my point. :smile: It's a great car, just be careful!

Just wait until you replace the clutch. :eek:

Do you know of the "excessive" tire wear issue? :tongue:

Yellow Rose said:
Do you know of the "excessive" tire wear issue? :tongue:

Yeah, I seem to remember something about that. The car makes funny noises and the rear shifts from side to side under hard acceleration from a stop. I better have that looked at.
I think bigger rims and tires will help this problem...more $$.
:smile:

I've got you beat. Bought the car at a classic car dealership, immediately took it to an Acura dealer. So far (thank you previous owner), have replaced the following:

Wheels (one of the after market wheels that came with the car was bent on the inside rim, not made anymore, had to get 4 wheels...Work Meister S2Rs)

Tires (one of the Dunpops had a defect, not made anymore, had to get 4 tires...Bridgestone S0-3s)

60K service, all belts, water pump, rear hatch struts, oil pan gasket, heater/AC control unit (complete), battery, lower left dash trim bolster, oxygen sensors, spare tire w/mounting hardware, 4 wheel alignment, TCS button light, hood badge, misc bushings and small bits.

Currently repainting roof (clear coat imperfections), rear spoiler (discolored by sun), front bumper and hood (stone chips). Supposed to get the car out of the paint shop this Friday (fingers crossed).

I have had the car six weeks, and driven it five days.

You know what? I don't care. I'm going to rescue this 91 NSX and get her back the way she was supposed to be before she was neglected. The car is that good... but then you knew that! :wink:

I wouldn't really classify most of the items on your list as "hidden costs".
To me a hidden cost is some unexpected cost that happens or goes wrong with the car.

wagyshag said:
I wouldn't really classify most of the items on your list as "hidden costs".
To me a hidden cost is some unexpected cost that happens or goes wrong with the car.

You're missing the fun of the thread. A lot of people are worried about the "true cost" of owning this car. I was having fun with it....Obviously everything I've done has been my choice, that's what's so great about it!

DrVolkl said:
$979 - Alarm
$ 55 - Cup Holder
$ 45 - M3 lip spoiler
$ 77 - Blue Bat overlays

Look like you a loving owner, the list just started, I can see your list continue to with no ending in sight, exhaust, header, wheels, etc. :smile:

DrVolkl said:
You're missing the fun of the thread. A lot of people are worried about the "true cost" of owning this car. I was having fun with it....Obviously everything I've done has been my choice, that's what's so great about it!

Oh I'm sorry - my mistake - I simply mis-read.

I have done similar things. The car didn't need anything!
(3 months of ownership)
The prev owner was as anal as I am! :wink:

New OEM car cover would be nice! $165.00
Hmmm.. coolant tank is from 94, better safe than sorry!
$79.00
Strut bar powder coated yellow! new black bar $35.00
Hatch stay missing the plastic tip, (complete stay) $30.00
Floor mats are like new, but there still available! better get a 2nd set for down the road. $85.00
New OEM hood emblem (mine was modified "F" Yellow) $65.00
OEM Air box filter, just in case I want to switch back to the air box some time $31.00
Better grab an oil filter and washer for when the time comes, $11.75
Found a great detail guy through Dr. Hapa! (THANKS AGAIN!) Polish out the clear coat $150.00
Found Zanardi wheels! Placed that want add @ the same time I placed the NSX want add! $2000.00 (Great deal!) Yes!
Better get some OEM locks for the new wheels! $25.00
Great! a used early chin spoiler! $100.00 (like them much better)
NSXPO 2005, $1200.00 (so far)

$3976.75 for no real reason. :smile:
Worth every Penney! :biggrin:
This car is more fun to drive than I imagined!

And want to thank Scott at Acura of Escondido for all the new OEM parts mentioned above. (- The used Z wheels)
Killer prices & same day shipping!

You can't put a price on being young and having worked hard enough to have one fine car that you can pimp out. And yea, dude, rims are totally gonna tie that car together. You've prolly got at least another 6k before you're gonna slow down. :biggrin:

well, in two weeks it'll be one year and over 10,000 miles since I purchased my '91. Here's the breakdown:

$150 pre-purchase inspection at acura of concord.
$28,000 1991 Formula Red NSX with 72,000 miles on the clock.
$2,626 Tax, and registration: (deducted at tax time)
$150 misc: lexol, auto glass cleaner, tire shine, car wash, bucket, shop towels, tire guage, wax, microfiber towels.
$335 clutch master cylinder leaking, replacement.
$992 replaced the crappy tires with S-03's + alignment.
$79.49 Oil Change, Mobil 1.
$1234.11 parking garage mishap, ouch! and I repainted the driver's mirror (gigantic rock chip) while I was at it.
$336.05 new floor mats, trunk mat, and a OEM cover
$3,227.72 having trouble disengaging gearshift in all gears... clutch not slipping, but time for a new one!! also, oil pan gasket & vtec seal leaking + oil and filter change, installation of a fix it "thingy" for passenger window. Now all the hot babes that ride shotgun can open the window.
$100 Used OEM cd changer and mount kit from nsxPrime marketplace
$1800 parking for 12 months.
$2436 insurance for 12 months.

total: about a million smiley faces, I LOVE THIS CAR :)

Last edited:
Just think how much the first month of a new girlfriend costs! your getting off easy, and your guaranteed to go to bed satisfied. :wink: :smile:

Hidden expenditre for me after 4 years of ownership
1. Valve cover gasket.
2. Top head gasket.
3. Coil packs.
4. Oxygen sensors.
5. Extra bulb sockets for rear lights.
6. Coolent tank.
7. Evaporator.
8. Rear wheel bearings.
9. Drive shaft boots.
10. Aftermarket radio.
11. OEM sun cover.
12. New power steering.
13. New door lever.
14. New driver side power window.
15. T-belt service.
16. Oil pan gasket to be replaced soon.

hhhmmm..let me see...after 3 months of ownership...

$400.00.. WhiteNSX HID KIT....
$100.00 Misc Cleaning....

Total : $500.00 SMILEYS!!!

Next Stop.....

Maybe NEW CLUTCH :frown:

Mike

The funny thing is that I didn't really even know how much I had spent on the car until I added it all up. I was very suprised when the total was over $2k...and here I am thinking "gee, I gotta save up for some nice volks..."

The kicker is that I just spent another $180 on one of those aluminum coolent tanks today. (I almost bought an exhaust but talked myself out of it...then figured a coolent tank is much cheaper, so that was ok).

What scares me is that I haven't even addressed the big things like rims, exhaust, suspension, stereo...sheesh. This reminds me of owning a boat, except I'm putting money into it because I want to...

DrVolkl said:
The funny thing is that I didn't really even know how much I had spent on the car until I added it all up. I was very suprised when the total was over $2k...and here I am thinking "gee, I gotta save up for some nice volks..."

The kicker is that I just spent another $180 on one of those aluminum coolent tanks today. (I almost bought an exhaust but talked myself out of it...then figured a coolent tank is much cheaper, so that was ok).

What scares me is that I haven't even addressed the big things like rims, exhaust, suspension, stereo...sheesh. This reminds me of owning a boat, except I'm putting money into it because I want to...
That's part of the fun of ownership!

Yow! After 5+ months my total is $1300 for timing belt/water pump service and $600 for tires, both of which were known and planned for when I bought the car.

On the other hand, it came with a car cover and cup holder and I've driven it almost every single day since I brought it home. :)

Jin1976 said:
Hidden expenditre for me after 4 years of ownership
1. Valve cover gasket.
2. Top head gasket.
3. Coil packs.
4. Oxygen sensors.
5. Extra bulb sockets for rear lights.
6. Coolent tank.
7. Evaporator.
8. Rear wheel bearings.
9. Drive shaft boots.
10. Aftermarket radio.
11. OEM sun cover.
12. New power steering.
13. New door lever.
14. New driver side power window.
15. T-belt service.
16. Oil pan gasket to be replaced soon.

First off, how does someone without car experience like me know when it is time to replace some of these parts mentioned above?!

Octan, unless you are on your 3rd DWI and under 21, you pay wayyy too much for insurance. you should shop around!!

NSXFreak00 said:
you pay wayyy too much for insurance. you should shop around!!
it's the best price I could find, living in downtown SF. (Amica) I'm 26 and without tickets or accidents.
It did just go down to $1700 for the next year though.

You should have bought mine, and you wouldn't have had to mess with half of it. lol.

DrVolkl said:
$979 - Alarm
$ 55 - Cup Holder
$ 45 - M3 lip spoiler
$ 77 - Blue Bat overlays

...owning one of the best vehicles ever made - a true piece of automotive/engineering history...

priceless

(I just had to)

J :tongue:

DrVolkl said:
This reminds me of owning a boat, except I'm putting money into it because I want to...

Heh, I had to comment on this. I did the boat thing (1988 27' Sea Ray) for 2 years, here were the major expenses:

$12000 - depreciation
5000 - 2003 winter storage/prep/launch
3000 - 2004 winter storage/prep/launch
4400 - engine/outdrive work
3300 - 2003 marina slip
3300 - 2004 marina slip
2000 - new gps, interior work, etc
----------
$33,000 for 2 years of misery.

Plus taxes, fees, equipment, overpriced gas, lets call it $35 grand.

I will never own a boat again.

Back