• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

First test drive

Took a test drive in an nsx today (first time). I liked the ride but didn't like the fact that it was an automatic. Does a stick shift make the car feel and drive differently? I'm having a difficult time finding a 91-95 to test drive in the Dallas, TX. area, so I haven't been able to compare the two. Thanks
biggrin.gif

Is the one you drove in Richardson? A balck 91 with 80K miles? I drove it a month ago. I enojyed it a lot, but i dont care for auto either! Price was right : 25,800.

I am hunting for a standard.

------------------
NetViper -= looking to get an NSX before I turn 26! =- Didn't make 25 :(

Giggsy,

I'm probably a good one to ask that question of. I just sold my automatic NSX and purchased a 5-speed.

Here's my thoughts...

The automatic is nice, as automatics go. It's kind of neat to punch it and have passing gear kick in. The automatics have a different cam profile and have more torque or low-end performance. When I test drove the automatic, I liked it. It was neat to be able to just drive and cruise and concentrate on the car and the handling. I think the newer ones with the paddle on the wheel would be even nicer. I honestly thought I would be happy with the automatic (and I posted here on this forum and said so!).

However...

I changed my mind. The stick shift NSXs are very, very sweet indeed. The car seems tighter and more responsive. This is also probably due to the power steering on the automatic. The manual shifter is a delight. The "snick", "snick" gearchanges are just plain orgasmic. The clutch isn't heavy or tiring at all.

In the final analysis, I think the stick suits the nature of the NSX much more than the automatic.

I think if you REALLY prefer an automatic and like the NSX, then go for it. It will be a fine experience. You'll be very happy.

However, I think if you're borderline and unsure about it, go with the stick. You'll never regret it. ;-)

Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd
Wht/Blk

Giggsy,

I usually go back and forth when I get a new car. By the time I get the stick I'm tired of the auto. BUT, the NSX can only be fully enjoyed with a stick. I drove the 5-spd and the 6-spd. Although the 5-spd is a lot of fun, the shorter gears in the 6-spd are a blast.
cool.gif

Anyway, it's up to you, but whatever you do, don't buy one unless you try a stick.

No the one I drove is a '95 with 25000 miles, located in Richardson.
Originally posted by NetViper:
Is the one you drove in Richardson? A balck 91 with 80K miles? I drove it a month ago. I enojyed it a lot, but i dont care for auto either! Price was right : 25,800.

I am hunting for a standard.

Back