• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Fitting longer rear wheel studs

My new Stoptech BBK and Rays wheels fit together pretty nicely, but my other wheels, Work Emotion CR Kai, require 5mm spacers to clear the callipers. Combined with extra 4mm thickness of the Stoptech disc center results in too few threads remaining for the wheel nuts.

So I plan to fit longer studs. I can get old studs out by cutting/grinding/punching them out, but new longer studs won't insert unless I pull hub apart. The workshop manual around pages 18-30 shows how to get the hub & bearing apart. Before I launch into that much effort, and new bearings, I thought you Prime experts may have better suggestions ?

Maybe switch to a spacer that bolts on itself instead??

Something like:

wheelspacer.jpg

Thanks ChopsJazz, very helpful link

And OneRedNSX - good idea, but I dont think I that's come only 5-7mm thick

You'll have to pull the Hubs out. no other way.

Fronts are easy, brakes off & remove the 4 x hub retaining bolts.

Rears a bit more work as you need to crack the Axle nut(it's tight)
you'll need a 36mm socket & a breaker bar & maybe a long steel tube for extra leverage.
same deal, remove brakes & 4 x hub retaining bolts.

smack out old studs with hammer & fit new studs.

make sure you crack the axle nuts before you remove the brakes! you'll need someone on the brakes whilst you undo the axle nuts.

I did fronts last weekend. As for rears... we'll see ... I'm going to try the method in the thread provided by ChopsJazz . This doesn't require hub nut removal, instead judicious use of a dremel / portable grinder to flatten one side of the head on each stud and possibly a small amount of metal from the support bracket so old studs can come out and new one's in without disassembling the hub.

I did fronts last weekend. As for rears... we'll see ... I'm going to try the method in the thread provided by ChopsJazz . This doesn't require hub nut removal, instead judicious use of a dremel / portable grinder to flatten one side of the head on each stud and possibly a small amount of metal from the support bracket so old studs can come out and new one's in without disassembling the hub.

Yes, I tried the same thing with the rears, maybe my studs were too long(Arp extended studs 3") as this didn't work,
Found cracking the axle nut & removing the hub actually quicker! due to the fact i was paranoid about removing too much metal on the upright & the stud so i tried it little by little & eventually gave up.
depending on your stud length you may have more luck.

Wow 3 inches! Then again, you're always pushing the limits :smile:

My new studs are 10mm longer = 53mm or just over 2 inches. See how I go ...

I'm also using ARP 3" long studs on all four corners and hub removing is the only way for installation. The only thing you should do, as others already mention, is to make a small gap to remove/install new studs, I done mine on milling machine. By my opinion/advice, since you are removing hubs, why don't you put the longest with the open end nuts so you can play with the wheels... :rolleyes:

DSC00873.jpg

DSC00871.jpg

Here is a link to the stud replacement procedure

off topic but how do you create an abbreviated link like above. When I hit the link icon I can only enter full target address. But in the past I though I could also enter short name like above ?

Back