• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Flywheel ring gear came loose

Found the problem, now need resolution. The flywheel ring gear is completely loose. Somehow it got dismounted from the flywheel and is free moving now. I was able to move it one revolution and felt all of the teeth. Didn't seem to be any damage. How did it move? My RPS clutch and flywheel have less then 10k miles on them. What course of action should I take now? Assuming I'll have to open up the transmission? Ouch!

Does anyone know if the ring gears can be pressed or welded back on or will I need a new flywheel / clutch kit? It's a RPS unit if that makes a difference. Thanks. :frown:

Last edited:
No ,change the flywheel , you have one of two problems , the flywheel was cut too much on the shoulder where the ring gear presses onto or the ring gear is too large(which I doubt) . Either way you have to change it, you cannot weld it because you will introduce a balance problem . This should never happen ,call the vendor ,Iam sure he will want it back and not question a warranty

Last edited:
No ,change the flywheel , you have one of two problems , the flywheel was cut too much on the shoulder where the ring gear presses onto or the ring gear is too large(which I doubt) . Either way you have to change it, you cannot weld it because you will introduce a balance problem . This should never happen ,call the vendor ,Iam sure he will want it back and not question a warranty
^^^This.

guys the exact same thing happened to me when i was on the dyno

and i had the stock flyweel and my flyweel ring came off as well

that is when i installed the rps and never had any problems until
i sold it to a other prime member

now im the pride owner of a twin os giken push type and and is by far the best i have ever had installed on my nsx

Heck, it happened to my NSX when it was almost brand new and had less than 1000 miles on it. Yes, bone stock.

They replaced the entire clutch, just to be sure they were taking care of it. And I'm pretty sure they sent the parts that failed to American Honda headquarters to figure out how it happened.

I thought the RPS lightweight flywheels had the ring gear screwed on and then the screws were tack welded to keep them from backing out... If that is correct, and you somehow loosened half a dozen welded screws I would imagine something would be very wrong...

I thought the RPS lightweight flywheels had the ring gear screwed on and then the screws were tack welded to keep them from backing out... If that is correct, and you somehow loosened half a dozen welded screws I would imagine something would be very wrong...

Agreed but I am thinking maybe earlier versions did not have this.

To the OP, age of this clutch? How long has it been installed timewise?

Regards,
LarryB

Iam not that familiar with this clutch ,thought it was a press on however the solution remains the same,send it back for a replacement or refund. I don't care if it's tens years old,been on a Dyno for a week straight @8k rpm , should not happen-----done

Last edited:
Will be taking the clutch out and sending it to manufacturer for inspection. What other things should I change while I'm working on this job? Any seals or items which a 12 year old car would need? Timing belt is not due for service. Thanks.

Iam not that familiar with this clutch ,thought it was a press on however the solution remains the same,send it back for a replacement or refund. I don't care if it's tens years old,been on a Dyno for a week straight @8k rpm , should not happen-----done

Without seeing pics of THIS unit, nobody knows what should or should not be done... Automatically blaming the manufacturer is definately NOT the first step :rolleyes:

Will be taking the clutch out and sending it to manufacturer for inspection. What other things should I change while I'm working on this job? Any seals or items which a 12 year old car would need? Timing belt is not due for service. Thanks.

Good chance to change the rear main seal since you have all of the items off and out of the way...

Without seeing pics of THIS unit, nobody knows what should or should not be done... Automatically blaming the manufacturer is definately NOT the first step :rolleyes:

Good chance to change the rear main seal since you have all of the items off and out of the way...

I'am not blaming the manu. ,the point is to get it back to them ,he stated it only had 10k miles on it . Any reputable manu. wants to know of early failure ,let them examine it and make a determination . Ten years ago I installed a electric start kit upgrade on a recreation vehicle , the kit recommended red loctite on the ring gear screws and supplied a small tube of it . I used my own loctite , got a letter from the company that they wanted me to take machine to dealer for inspection because of ring gears coming loose . the loctite they supplied in the kit was wrong strength . :wink:

Update: As I posted previously, the ring gears on the RPS clutch separated from the flywheel causing my car to not start / run. Contacted RPS and they requested I send it in because the ring gears should never separate from one of their performance clutch. Sent it in over a month ago and they've been trying to figure out what to do. After a few e-mails, RPS responds and say basically I'm out of luck and should just buy a new set from SOS. Yes, there were some wear on my set after about 10k miles, yet it worked fine up till the ring gears broke off. Something they said should never happen. As to why it took over a month to decide, don't know. Not very happy right now as I'll basically be out 3k total for a new clutch set and labor when there may of been a defect in manufacturing. So much for customer service and standing behind your product. :mad:

I am really sorry about your problem but even more upset over RPS not willing to make things right and they sure have their share of problems over the years on Prime.

I can't understand why any serious clutch manufacture makes multi-piece clutch/alum flywheel combo instead of one piece chrome-moly like Tilton/OS Giken/Toda..etc. I was told money was one of the reasons but it is such a heat cycle/shock load bearing component at repeated high rpm. Alum and steel connected with welds and nuts over time will surely separate. Use at your own risk. I am sure there are many use this kinda set up w/o trouble. I would not.

Just look at the RPS flywheel or any other alum flywheel, it should be outlawed, its a design flaw in name of saving money but charging $$$$s?:mad::mad:

Last edited:
Back