• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Folks, what am I doing wrong?

I'm trying to buy NSX and nothing real pops up for a good 3 monthes already. People trying to get 32-35k for 91 with 70k+ miles :cool:

I just want stock daily driver with no accidents and modifications. I am DIY and stuff like clutch, TB service is not an issue, but I don't want abused and neglected car.

I'm looking for something maintained from private party.

Everything that I've seen have previous accidents, modified a lot and/or showroom condition with the same price tag.

Where should I look for a car? I'm constantly checking craigslist, autotrader and cars.com. Prime of course. I am completely against buying from a dealer.

Your target price range, mileage, and year should turn up plenty of cars. However, everything you do that cuts down on the number of cars you're considering, reduces your chances of finding such a car. For example:

I just want stock daily driver with no accidents and modifications.
Many cars have had minor accidents (e.g. fender or bumper replaced) which have been properly repaired and should not be cause for concern. Ruling them out cuts out a lot of cars.

Similarly, modifications cuts out a lot of cars. However, you should also realize that modifications, in general, make a car less desirable and the owners may have a mistakenly high opinion of their cars' market value due to the amount they spent on those mods. So a lot of cars that sit on the market for a long period of time are modified cars. That's why, when you look at the market, you see a lot of modified cars, a much higher percentage than the actual percentage of all cars (including those NOT for sale) that are modified.

I don't want abused and neglected car.
I think that's wise.

I'm looking for something maintained from private party.
You mean, cars sold only by those who do their own maintenance work? That REALLY cuts down on the number of cars. I would not recommend limiting yourself in that way.

Where should I look for a car? I'm constantly checking craigslist, autotrader and cars.com. Prime of course.
You're looking in all the right places.

I am completely against buying from a dealer.
That, too, limits yourself A LOT. Again, I would not recommend limiting yourself in that way.

I have two recommendations for you. First, expand your search. Consider cars sold by dealers, and/or those with only minor accident damage that has been properly repaired.

Second, keep in mind that the cars you are looking for - prime condition, well-maintained, stock cars - are highly desirable. When they hit the market, they go fast. So make sure you search constantly! Particularly the newly-posted listings on NSXprime, where such cars are most likely to be sold. And when you see one you want, act fast, before someone else grabs it.

Many cars have had minor accidents (e.g. fender or bumper replaced) which have been properly repaired and should not be cause for concern. Ruling them out cuts out a lot of cars.

I agree. But most cars out of town. People can't explain what happened, I can't see the car myself. I figured 1 thing. If I ever get into accident - I will document everything in smallest details possible. With nice pictures and detailed estimates for repair. To show future owner what actually happened.

Some cars completely repainted. I'm not against perfect new paint, but how do I know why it was painted? If it was keyed and you can show pictures/documents - it will make me feel safer and I will go with inspection. I've seen 1 car in IA which show room confition. It's repainted and owner say "not that I know of" How can buy car like that?

You mean, cars sold only by those who do their own maintenance work? That REALLY cuts down on the number of cars. I would not recommend limiting yourself in that way.

No, not at all :) Also I DIY I would prefer car maintained by professionals. Unless this DIY person have all parts receipts and I can see that he know what he does.

It's like I was asking one guy for records and he said "I do everything myself and have no records/receipts"

What I mean - I want car maintained with oil/filter changes and driven regularly. I don't need somebody's LEGO :)

Consider cars sold by dealers
No way. There is no way I will by from dealer. I will buy from auction before I buy from dealer.

Second, keep in mind that the cars you are looking for - prime condition, well-maintained, stock cars - are highly desirable.
I don't need prime condition. Dings, scratches, weared seat bolsters is fine with me. I just need stock(near stock) vehicle.

First car I missed was sold 2 days before I was able to see it.

Another example when I missed car. Car was priced little higher than I expect but it was all stock mint 20k miles car. And it was in TX where my friend lives. Same day I contacted everybody and my friend was ready to do inspection for me at his shop any time. Car was sold within a week and from what I understood without any inspections. I think there is no way to act "more quickly" thatn that.

My story:

I wasn't really in the market of BUYING a NSX, I was just looking around (i.e. eBay, auto trader, craigslist, local papers). I would check those sites daily just to see what they were offering. One day I was doing my daily check-up routine, I ran into a 91 NSX red/black on eBay and with a buy-it now price of $20k. I immediately e-mailed the guy to see if it was legit (you know eBay, too many scams). He responded quickly and seemed very honested. I got his number and gave him a call. Everything checked out, the car had 161k miles but he has all the maintance record (2 binders full!), says its never been in an accident but repainted due to rock chips, and even swapped out the 5-speed in favor for a 6-speed. Even though I wasn't really looking to buying an NSX so soon, I couldn't pass up this deal and bought it anyways.

Guess I got lucky!

But my suggestion, you have to be patience for the right NSX, especially since they are already rare enough and also finding the perfect one will take a while. I suggest waiting for that perfect one because the NSX is not a car you plan on trading in or upgrading in the near future. Its a vehicle you want to keep for as long as you can.

Back