• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

For Anyone Bitching About the Engine Sound on the NSX

One of the most common mods I read about on 2nd gen NSX's is downpipes, with the complaint that "stock just isn't loud enough". There are also online reviews negatively comparing the NSX's engine sound to competitors like the Audi R8 with V10 engine.

I challenge anyone to watch this video (https://youtu.be/tkI24z1t7Eg) and have those same complaints. Particularly fun was watching the R8 slink to the side of the track while the NSX blew past it. I'm not buying the "turbo V6 just doesn't sound like a supercar" complaints. Teslas in ludicrous mode (or plaid, for even more extreme performance) don't need to rumble in order to perform...

You are correct, but still...I'm solidly in the "hear them before you see them" class of people. When I buy my NC1, I will be installing DPs and exhaust. I just enjoy that sound.

I watched this Nurburgring video a hundred times back in 17' while I was waiting for my car to be delivered..... This guy is cool as a cucumber and he can DRIVE..... He obviously knows the track. I feel like the car has it's own unique sound, at least on the inside. I've actually never heard it from the outside.....

I think the NC1 sounds quite exotic, even in stock form. I'm still amazed at the speed it can carry through the corners.

It's definitely unique.

For the longest time, people thought that the gen-1 NSX also sounded too quiet / sewing machine-like. Then, over the years, people started loving its unique sound.

I believe that people will come around to appreciate the unique sound of the NC1 over time. NSXs shouldn't sound like a Ferrari or a Lamborghini (and it's unfair to expect that). NSXs should sound like NSXs.

I came from LOUD.

A S/C CTS-V (first gen), 3" B&B exhaust & headers, no cats with an "X" pipe.

That thing would set off car alarms and was bitchin.

Got stopped three times for "excessive noise" and ticketed once.

So, I spent 40 minutes behind the wheel on a stock NC1 on the street. My question for owners is, for around town, I find sport mode makes the engine sound like an industrial generator. Do you owners hear that in constant speed cruising? I find it unpleasant and uninspiring. Is that something you get used to or you tune it out over time because its just background noise.

When I flip it to sport plus, I just get more induction noise to drown out the former. It sounds OK in sport plus but gets tiring for the ears after 20 minutes. Its not the decibels that gets to me with time, its the components of the sound, perhaps from the sound generator.

Do you get used to it over time or do you not drive around on the streets in sport plus?

I know different exhaust can only do so much but are there systems that gives it a more pleasant tone without being too loud? Has anyone modified or disabled the sound generator or uses different intakes or headers?

The gen1 NSX sounds like a family sedan at low throttle openings and sounds great when you start to open up the throttle with its crescendo building when the hot cams come on. Perhaps Gen 2 NSX sounds in the cabin has more bass and the 75 degree bank angle engine may be a contributor. It reportedly has a split crank pin to maintain even firing order.

What have you done to improve sound quality?

So, I spent 40 minutes behind the wheel on a stock NC1 on the street. My question for owners is, for around town, I find sport mode makes the engine sound like an industrial generator. Do you owners hear that in constant speed cruising? I find it unpleasant and uninspiring. Is that something you get used to or you tune it out over time because its just background noise.

When I flip it to sport plus, I just get more induction noise to drown out the former. It sounds OK in sport plus but gets tiring for the ears after 20 minutes. Its not the decibels that gets to me with time, its the components of the sound, perhaps from the sound generator.

Do you get used to it over time or do you not drive around on the streets in sport plus?

I know different exhaust can only do so much but are there systems that gives it a more pleasant tone without being too loud? Has anyone modified or disabled the sound generator or uses different intakes or headers?

The gen1 NSX sounds like a family sedan at low throttle openings and sounds great when you start to open up the throttle with its crescendo building when the hot cams come on. Perhaps Gen 2 NSX sounds in the cabin has more bass and the 75 degree bank angle engine may be a contributor. It reportedly has a split crank pin to maintain even firing order.

What have you done to improve sound quality?
For me I couldn’t stand that drone and fake piped in sound. I made some magnetic felt pucks to cover the upper rear “speakers” over each outboard shoulder. They’ve been on for a couple years. It’ll never sound like a flat plane crank symphony so why bother. I can talk to my wife and it still goes like stink when needed.

I've been on track with them and driven one on the street..it is an acquired taste the turbo 6....To me it has a harmonic turbine like hum with a little wastegate pfft on upshifts...

My car came with the SOS downpipes, so I have never heard anything else. With the windows down, I find it intoxicating when driving in Sport +. Depending on where I am determines whether I place the car in sport mode or Sport + mode. In sport mode driving on the local streets has the car mostly on battery alone. On the freeway in Sport the car is really quiet and goes into 9th gear. It is quiet enough to easily carry on a conversation. Personally I prefer the Sport +

I had assumed that the sound being ported into the car was not synthetic, but represents the actual sound. I will take a look at a Honda report on porting the sound to make sure I did not mis-state. My exhaust farts a lot when slowing down.

I at one time considered replacing the exhaust but decided against it because that would mean there would no longer be a reduced exhaust. All 4 would be active. I like the idea of a quiet mode.

Last edited:
The droning sound bothers me most when cruising in S+. I think it's not pleasant... a bad drone sound. When getting on it I think it's fine - what's in the posted videos. Love the waste gate sound and downshifts. Magic. They need to make the piped in sound adjustable. Guess I cruise more than getting on it.

Even though the sound is a mixed bag from the inside, the NSX sounds pretty good from the outside when the driver is accelerating. Not so much while revving in neutral without load.

I challenge anyone to watch this video and have those same complaints.

I watched the video and I still have complaints. :biggrin:

I agree that the NSX sounds better than some people seem to think. I think it sounds better than a C8 Corvette, for example (at least the NSX can rev!).

But the R8 just crushes the NSX in the sound department.

Last edited:
There is no fake sound piped in from the speakers. There are two pipes that let sound in from the engine intake area that bring the real engine sound in. It’s in the schematics as well.

When I made my puck things I tried to figure out what it was doing and used this. Sure most have seen it.
It still needs to be independently adjustable from the driving mode.

Engine Sound Management.jpg

When I made my puck things I tried to figure out what it was doing and used this. Sure most have seen it.
It still needs to be independently adjustable from the driving mode.

View attachment 169131
I couldn’t figure out exactly where it exits in the cabin.. is it exactly behind the rear speakers? When you cover up the speakers don’t you lose the audio as well?

I couldn’t figure out exactly where it exits in the cabin.. is it exactly behind the rear speakers? When you cover up the speakers don’t you lose the audio as well?
There are no other outlets there so I figured it was the speaker outlets. My covers stop or greatly reduce the engine sound, so I do lose that audio also but figured the trade was worth it. On my next drive I'll pull them off for a stock sound comparison - it's been a while.

Last edited:
I believe if you remove the rear panels including the speaker panels (three) you will see the inlets for the engine sound. You could then plug those up if you wish to. Perhaps another way is to somehow turn off the valve or system that is at the source. When you read the description it suggests that there is an electrically controlled valve. Disconnect that and you should be good to go.

Your dash might light up like a Christmas tree rendering you from starting the car leaving you stranded.

Oh wait, that is the Center mounted brake light.

I think the logic behind the 75° angle was to have a sound close to a 72° v10 vs a 90° v8.

However anytime an engine is turboed, it only leaves bass instead of more higher frequencies. So perhaps the nc1 sounds closer to a turbo i5 but better maybe...

I find the car way too quiet. Can't wait to do SOS downpipes and exhaust. I'm hoarding a basement full of goodies to install all at once.

Loud or quiet compared to what? Sport mode will get attention from underpaid guys in uniform. I particularly like the resonant gong on upshift. Sure it’s no 458…but stealthy torque is also fun.

In my opinion, louder is not better, just louder.... Tough to make a twin turbo V6 sound like a NA V10. I feel like the NSX has its own distinctive sound, and at 65 YO, I guess I'm too old to want to hear a loud drone all of the time. I drove a Maserati MC 20 a couple weeks ago. Interesting car, and honestly, the sound wasn't any better than the NSX. The $100k upgrade cost wasn't worth it to me.... And my NSX performance is just as good. The car is still a supercar bargain, at least what I paid for mine years ago.

Back