• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

For the paint experts. What is matte black?

So I'm going to get my wing painted matte black but the bodyshop has never done matte black. What exactly is the paintcode? Is there a matte clearcoat that goes on to it? Is there anything mixed in with the paint? And finally, is it the same as using the paint code for trim and bumpers? Thanks.

So there is a matte clear. Good to know. Also my car is sebring silver, why semi gloss? You think the contrast will be too much? What if I went with a super dark matte charcoal grey?

If you have a nice silver car why do something like a matte black wing? That silver car of yours I believe still sparkles and the "matte" would look out of place.

Just my 2 cents...
This.

Trust me, do the semi-gloss. The matte black will clash w/ the sebring silver, its too dull.

Better yet, paint it silver, then do a vinyl wrap in matte black. That way if you find that you don't like it, just remove the vinyl.

Having gone through this recently on the nose and tail of our LoveFab car, our paint guy used the stock NSX midnight pearl as a base coat, then applied the clear with flattening agent to match the rest of the cars' matte finish.
It takes a bit of expertise to do this, because the addition of flattening agent really introduces a large variable into the equation.

Brian

Having gone through this recently on the nose and tail of our LoveFab car, our paint guy used the stock NSX midnight pearl as a base coat, then applied the clear with flattening agent to match the rest of the cars' matte finish.
It takes a bit of expertise to do this, because the addition of flattening agent really introduces a large variable into the equation.

Brian

Yep, you can adjust the amount of matte by how much you add to the clear.
I always recorded the percentage of agent that was used on a customers vehicle. That way if I or anyone else needed to repair that vehicle a perfect match could be made.

Brian

This.

there is a matte additive that you add with harder. or you can mix clear with the matte additive. by doing that, you have to shoot it a certain way. otherwise it will be blotchy.

So I'm going to get my wing painted matte black but the bodyshop has never done matte black. What exactly is the paintcode? Is there a matte clearcoat that goes on to it? Is there anything mixed in with the paint? And finally, is it the same as using the paint code for trim and bumpers? Thanks.

The fact that your shop doesn't know the procedure for this is probably a bad indicator of the results to come....

Do yourself a favor and Vinyl wrap it. You can thank me later when you get tired of the car always looking like it needs to be painted.

How can paint shop not now about the flattening agent? It is a toner that is part of every mixing bank system.

I think i'm going to go with a matte black because it will stand out. The shop asked me if the matte black paint was the same as the ones used on trims and bumpers. Do you guys think this is the same matte finish?

To answer some of the questions:

1. I need to paint the roof anyways since the clear is peeling of the roof and the wing is white so that is the reason that i'm not wrapping it.

2. The wing is the comptech aggressor. something different.

3. And the a and b pillars are already silver so i don't think the clash will be bad.

I would also wrap it instead of painting it. I've had 3 vehicles wrapped and go with satin black and not matte black. matte is almost a greyish black, whereas satin is a darker / deeper black.

also, you will want to make sure that your paint is fully cured before you wrap it. otherwise, you may have problems when you go to remove the wrap later. but I'm sure the paint guys would know more than me.

If the bodyshop has never done it - I'd probably be looking for another bodyshop. Just my opinion.

Back