• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

free online web conferencing

folks,

a quick note to let you know there's an open source online conferencing
tool coming out of beta this thursday. in addition to being no-charge / oss,
they host the application so there's nothing to install / maintain on your end.
looks like they've done a nice job with it, so if you want to share desktop /
conduct online meetings you may want to give it a try.

the product is called dimdim and may be found at dimdim.com.

fwiw, i have no affiliation / relationship with these folks, just passing on some
good news for us cheap / oss folks.

folks,

a quick note to let you know there's an open source online conferencing
tool coming out of beta this thursday. in addition to being no-charge / oss,
they host the application so there's nothing to install / maintain on your end.
looks like they've done a nice job with it, so if you want to share desktop /
conduct online meetings you may want to give it a try.

the product is called dimdim and may be found at dimdim.com.

fwiw, i have no affiliation / relationship with these folks, just passing on some
good news for us cheap / oss folks.
Ok Hal, it's Thursday, and DimDim is still in Beta. I've been counting down to the day so I could try it out.

What's the deal? Can you give their VPs a call and yell at them? :biggrin:

Ok Hal, it's Thursday, and DimDim is still in Beta. I've been counting down to the day so I could try it out.

What's the deal? Can you give their VPs a call and yell at them? :biggrin:
dang!

looks to me like they're still in beta. the feedback i've received from testers is they're still finding bugs, err, undocumented features, so if that's happening this close to release, seems to me their "out of beta this thurs" may have been well intentioned, but premature.

hopefully it'll be release-ready, soon.

out of beta!!

yup. my web guy and i used it the day after release and found it wasn't quite as smooth as go-to-meeting, but it was pretty good. seems likely they'll tighten things up as they move forward and we'll have a reasonably good freebie to use.

As far as I know DimDim is no longer available. Other free web conferencing tools are mikogo, showdocument, yugma etc. However, quality of web conferencing is very important while conducting webinars. I would suggest, try using paid services such as WebEx, gomeetnow, gotomeeting etc. in order to have quality online meetings, online conferencing etc. Another option is to deploy on premise web conferencing appliance such as RHUB appliances.

As far as I know DimDim is no longer available. Other free web conferencing tools are mikogo, showdocument, yugma etc. However, quality of web conferencing is very important while conducting webinars. I would suggest, try using paid services such as WebEx, gomeetnow, gotomeeting etc. in order to have quality online meetings, online conferencing etc. Another option is to deploy on premise web conferencing appliance such as RHUB appliances.

This seems like a very unusual first post for someone on an NSX website.

Anyway, in my experience GoToMeeting is very cumbersome under an enterprise managed IT environment where end-users need an administrator to install software because for some reason the software needs constant updating, which you don't find out until you try to connect to a meeting and then by the time you get the help desk to install the update you're late to the meeting.

WebEx works pretty well and updates requiring admin logon are much less frequent than GoToMeeting.

But neither GoToMeeting nor WebEx are free, which is the topic of this thread.

In the free realm, I've been a big LogMeIn fan for a while and they also offer web conferencing that I've used a few times with good results. Fast and easy. I haven't used it enough to say if it suffers from the same update issue as GoToMeeting. It lets you do free quick meetings, or you can get a paid account for more advanced features. I've only used the free version and it was good enough for what I needed. https://join.me/

Hope that helps someone.

thx for the info, i've heard of logmein but never used it ... will try. thx again.

Back