• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Fresh Install NAV/iPod/XM-Radio/Bluetooth

Here are a few (blurry) photos of an install in my '05 NSX. I had the unit professionally installed here in Dallas. Everything went smoothly except with a few console paint issues, which were resolved.

FYI – The Pioneer unit controls the OEM antenna, so it stays down when playing, CD/iPod® and XM-radio. The gizmo in next to the lighter is a Motorola Bluetooth hands-free kit. It is 100% voice activated, and plays through the car stereo speakers. The head unit auto-mutes the stereo and NAV voice when making or receiving a call.

The head unit controls my mini iPod®, which is locked in the glove box. The XM and Nav antenna are neatly placed in the glass hatch, just next to the latch release for the engine cover.

Equipment:
Pioneer AVIC-D1 – With DVD/NAV/CD
Pioneer GEX-P10XMT XM NavTraffic Satellite Radio Tuner
Pioneer’s iPod® adapter CD-IB100
Motorola Bluetooth IHF1000 hands free kit

Cosmetics:
SoS Center Console (Stereo Delete)
Painted console and air vent to match OEM finish (2005 Model)
Zantac and beer to combat frustration caused by the paint issues.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 923
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 864
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 891
  • IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 878
  • IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 918
:smile: :cool: :smile: :cool: :smile:
Sweet, my NSX center console will look just like that very soon. And I'm sure my picture will be a little fuzzy as well because Chris is sending me a real ( :mad: ) sub box soon. What paint did you end up using? Did you put the iPod cable in the cup holder space? Where did you put the GPS antenea?

Looks really nice. Would like to check it out in person sometime.

Nice. I love the way double din decks look in our cars. Is that little notch cut out of the console at the bottom of the radio there to make clearance for the head unit?

Also, did you find a way to bypass "video while moving" block that Pioneer uses for that head unit? I heard it's controlled by GPS.

It is controlled by GPS, and there is no way yet to bypass it. :frown:

Malibu, the notch is indead there to provide clearance when the face is open all the way for the DVD slot. There is a small metal piece that protrudes when the head unit opens.

I have not yet found a GPS bybass, but my installer swears he can do it with some sort of a switch.

Malibu Rapper said:
Nice. I love the way double din decks look in our cars. Is that little notch cut out of the console at the bottom of the radio there to make clearance for the head unit?

Also, did you find a way to bypass "video while moving" block that Pioneer uses for that head unit? I heard it's controlled by GPS.

Kaz, the paint issue centered around the SoS console, which came to me with a gray primer. My body shop pianted it twice and both times the paint bubbled, peeled and cracked within 24 hours. I think he was using the wrong kind of paint but could never confirm this. We fixed the problem by removing all of the primer on the SoS console, all the way down to the fiber glass. The OEM air vent took the paint without any problems.

Here are a few photos of the GPS and XM-Radio antenna location. I placed the two antennas under the glass hatch on the engine cover, next to the cover release.

Attachments

• IMG_0066.jpg
    IMG_0066.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_0069.jpg
    IMG_0069.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 622
I have a pc computer in my car, is the auto mute feature a component of the head unit or is there an output or feed from the motorola unit which controls this?

It's kinda both. The Motorola has a wire that connects to the head unit. The head unit has the capability to supports the mute feature.

See quote from Motorola manual below:

Connect the YELLOW Entertainment Mute Wire to the
vehicle’s entertainment system.
Note: This feature is only operational if the vehicle’s
radio supports this capability. Installation may require
an optional relay (not included).

Hi Graemeg,
I see where you installed your GPS antenna, did you try any other locations?
The reception must be good or you wouldn't have put it there.

Tried a few, but that seemed to be the best. The antennas need to be installed on a flat surface, with as much clear sight to the sky as possible.

graemeg said:
Tried a few, but that seemed to be the best. The antennas need to be installed on a flat surface, with as much clear sight to the sky as possible.
Looks great man!

PS - What stereo shop did you use? I need to find a good one in this area that I can trust to take all my sound/video equipment out of my F250 and put it in my Tahoe. Just moved here and dont wanna just trust anyone to do this. Lemme know. :smile:

Back