• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DIY 7" Android Navpod Install

My PnP adapter is shown in post #21 .

The WiFi reception is weak compared to my phone. I had to set up a Google Wifi in my garage, whereas my phone could see my main router without issue at the same distance. This is really the only deficiency of this unit.

Not sure about the radio reception, I am not familiar with my local area radio offerings in general, which means the only station in my world is Radio Hauraki .

I'm not sure how to broadcast my phone audio wirelessly. I suspect a wired solution is just a mini-jack to RCA cable.

I mainly listen to podcasts, mostly using the Google Podcast app. They just need to roll out the Auto Download in my area and I'm set...might need a timed relay to maintain the wifi connection for downloading after arrival in the garage.

My install is nothing special. The previous owner had a single-DIN radio with a DIN sized drawer to fill out the double DIN cut console. I purchased a stock console as I had an OEM radio and was going to go back to factory stock (well very close, my OEM stereo is EU with RDS and my car would have a JDM stereo which has a truncated/shifted FM band). I decided against the OEM install when I saw this post on the Android radio. I liked the idea of a backup camera and I figured that for the price it would be a good project. I reused the previous owner's bracket, which is two side by side plates with a U-shaped sheet metal connector in the middle...trial and error was required to set it just right.

So I have everything to return the car back to stock as I did not cut any wires and I have all the Factory parts. It would probably take an hour or two to return to 100% OEM.
nsx_Android_Radio.jpg

Last edited:
Did you ever figured out the time delay issue?
I'm contemplating this diy, like yours. I mainly wants it for GPS. I can tether my phone wifi to it.

Did you ever figured out the time delay issue?
I'm contemplating this diy, like yours. I mainly wants it for GPS. I can tether my phone wifi to it.

No, I haven't but I haven't really had time to take things apart. The time updates automatically after 1 or 2 minutes so it's really not that big a deal. Just a pet peeve.

I'm super happy with it as a GPS using HERE Maps which allows offline use.

How is the Nav and Bluetooth Audio for phone call through the center speaker? Is it loud enough?

Thanks for answering all my questions.

How is the Nav and Bluetooth Audio for phone call through the center speaker? Is it loud enough?

Thanks for answering all my questions.

Volume wise it's loud enough for both Nav and Bluetooth audio for phone calls through the center speaker. However, with no option to install an external mic, people say they sometimes have a hard time hearing me during calls.

If I was to do it again, I would look for a model that has the option to connect an external mic.

That make sense. I think I may only use it for Nav. I have the Grom Bluetooth unit with mic. That will serve phone call and audio just fine. Although, I dont think my center speaker is working. Well, I cant hear anything coming from it. The 3 amps has been repaired by Briank. Sub works, door speakers works. Just the center have no sound. It's plugged in. I checked.
So I gotta chase this down first. Or bypass the oem wiring, order a new 4" aftermarket speaker. Ran new wiring directly from the android unit to the speaker. I dont know yet.
Something to think about.

Does this screen accept other video inputs? I want to also include a back up camera.

Update: Android unit still working fine. I also updated the reverse camera to a more OEM looking one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H852D49/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I reused the license plate frame bracket. Just needed to drill a hole to fit this. You can also buy the frame separately: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HXM7VZ2/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=A2D03PT3N1OAWT&psc=1

AVvXsEgnlinWc--OqRyP57ud79VAWt_FGPdRHvrKT8TVHrGelFne7ENaMzbKoRvvtMS5MXcHl-sXG4Iuzdx72MITvSsMCTaKAoYfzLnfM1dT5n3_t7_35yz4xEiB9cLZ7r8UvwT2PGuKUJrl2_h6tuowdEVfLoC75AYoIwdfq5g9RVlUryM4M9WYPxrAeRo_kg=w636-h478

AVvXsEh2ItsUmHf8lDWd1qi5PeJku5G6QxgliIfnVqS9tZd0B0m2OPGgAczXIkp4I2sehF9uTe6qFoEL_A8_grAKU75yvQwnQWqE_aIAFjKCC-sWRvAN20WrK4Ah98UCvvCB8OeMBQRuewOiCuMFwSC20eEAWOBWILAL9Ei-3voysvAvpQwkDzY4mPTc4gKSGA=w629-h472

245838058_10159892665769695_7111522992269735140_n.jpg

245599822_10159892665774695_8102603992003970484_n.jpg

245800525_10159892665759695_8758548217997119935_n.jpg

245609925_10159892665874695_8723233340163543062_n.jpg

Last edited:
Update: I designed a 3D printed frame that will allow a cleaner install of the Android unit. With this frame you no longer need to use the Legos and glue. You do however need to cut the back of the Android unit to get enough clearance to fit. To install the frame remove the top and bottom felt tape from the NAVPOD then simply insert the frame. It's friction fit. If you want it to be more permanent you can add a few drops of super glue. I haven't had the need to and it's been fine.

The 3D file is free here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5379317

IMG_0520.HEIC

IMG_0517.HEIC

IMG_0521.HEIC

IMG_0516.HEIC

IMG_0522.HEIC

Last edited:
amazing!

Update: I designed a 3D printed frame that will allow a cleaner install of the Android unit. With this frame you no longer need to use the Legos and glue. You do however need to cut the back of the Android unit to get enough clearance to fit. To install the frame remove the top and bottom felt tape from the NAVPOD then simply insert the frame. It's friction fit. If you want it to be more permanent you can add a few drops of super glue. I haven't had the need to and it's been fine.

The 3D file is free here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5379317

IMG_0520.HEIC

IMG_0517.HEIC

IMG_0521.HEIC

IMG_0516.HEIC

IMG_0522.HEIC

Back