• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

From BBSC to LoveFab and more- what a journey

Back in '01 my NSX was found by the PO at Stevens Acura in Ca. It was purchased with 31K miles and went to Denver from there. While in Denver the car was upgraded at 36K to a 6spd and headers, RPS clutch, 4.55 R&P, Brembo Indys and CT exhaust added.

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

From there the car went to Mark Basch for supercharging. Sorry, no pics there. The PO of 740 was transferred to St Louis. When Dan Hessey downsized Sprint the PO put 740 in the Prime marketplace and after a PPI a deal was made. 740 headed further east to Cincinnati.

Looking sexy yet dated 740 arrived in Cincy looking like this:

DSC01495.jpg

DSC01492.jpg

DSC01503.jpg

With a fresh retune the car made 384 linear WHP and felt nice. After much consideration I decided to lose the chromies and decided on Advans:

DSC_0161.jpg

DSC_0153.jpg

Darkening up the wheels drove me to darken up some other bits:

B4close-1.jpg

Afterclose-1.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0174.jpg

DSC_0111-1.jpg

Pass2.jpg

Now that we have the body nailed down, where are we at on the motor? 740 had already went from this:

IMG_0008.jpg

to this:

IMG_5334.jpg

Which looked cool and the Paxton sounded cool, but 384whp felt like weak sauce after a while. I decided to go turbo and shoot for 400whp of turbocharged power so at Thanksgiving of last year 740 went to Traverse City for a LoveFab turbo. Upon initial visual inspection a vacuum line was disconnected from the motor and Cody said that on other FIC managed builds this hose being disconnected was not a good omen as this hose would have helped the FIC pull timing when necessary.

Worst did come to worst. A cylinder was discovered down and it didn't make sense to continue with the turbo conversion. So go big, right? A build using these was begun:

LoveFab stage 2 build with CP 9:1 pistons, converted rods, no sleeves, ARP studs, Cometic gaskets, RC750's, WAI, 67mm turbo.

Cody got the car done but bumped into tuning issues. The best that we could manage on the FIC was 508hp @ 360tq:

The FIC just would not allow sufficient timing management and Cody got distracted by Pikes Peak so I brought the car back to Cincinnati. I'm SOOOOO lucky to have Source 1 Automotive here in Cincinnati. While Cody sowed his oats and we contemplated the tuning issues that we were experiencing with the 95 ECU, Brian replaced the 4.55 final drive with the factory 6 speed R&P sourced from Shad at Driving Ambition.

Even though the motor was underperforming it was still strong enough to kill the RPS clutch so Brian replaced the RPS with the SOS Dual Carbon unit. While there Brian also installed his end link kits which both tightened up the suspension and restored some compliance at the same time.

We sourced the AEM Series 2 from SOS also. Cody felt that the AEM Series 2 EMS would give us the timing control that was needed to allow a better tune, especially part-throttle. I got a son off to college and another one married then a friendly weather window opened. I drove 740 back to Traverse for a Series 2 EMS and retune. The retune yielded more like what we were hoping for, here's the improvement:

The AEM series 2 proved to be the key. The SOS Dual Carbon has a stock pedal effort compared to the RPS squat bench effort and clamps down effectively. As I appreciate Source 1 and Brian here I also appreciate what SOS brings to the table. I suppose one could source an AEM EMS, or a Dual Carbon clutch or some other bit directly or from another source but why? Chris has already done the R&D and the NSX parts that he supplies come with exactly what is needed for the application. The EMS came with the requisite cables and the clutch likewise. Thanks for making it easy Chris, I'm happy to continue to sport the SOS decal.

And here's some other shots to fill in the spaces:

DSC_0322.jpg

DSC_0323.jpg

DSC_0329.jpg

DSC_0330-1.jpg

DSC_0332.jpg

DSC_0327.jpg

I can't even begin to describe what the NSX is like with 600+ whp, a great tune and some aero bits. The Series 2 EMS allowed retention of TCS and it along with the SOS Dual Carbon keeps that power going through the drivetrain effectively. The car is just so smooth and so composed at low speeds, then it is incredible when the boost comes on. What a wonderful car.

Thanks Primers!

Last edited:
Great writeup!

So, does your OBD2 port still work? Did the AEM EMS2 replace or supplement the factory ECU?

Glad you are happy with the gofast parts :) You have a very clean nsx! The wheels and carbon go great together and you have to have one of the shortest shifters out there lol

Source 1 is happy to be a small part of this build. Thanks to Shad @ DA and SOS for the quick parts shipments!

I was given the chance to drive this beast the other day. All I can say is WOW. That is a fun car with 627 at the wheels. Tune feels great so props to Cody for that, It is perfectly executed.

It has been a long road for Curt but As he is I would be very happy with the result also. Can't wait to see this thing on the track in the spring!

Brian

you have to have one of the shortest shifters out there lol

It is a little on the stubby side but it feels much like the bolt action on a Winchester 700. It's very mechanical and very precise- it definately feels great coupled to the SOS short shift kit.

Another SOS bit!

glad the end result was worth the journey:wink:..btw you can always tell a "vintage" nsx by how many rm racing mods are on it:tongue:

Curt why is your shifter so tall? Can't you lower that a bit?:smile:

Curt why is your shifter so tall? Can't you lower that a bit?:smile:

Going lower still- the next mod is one of those pop-up Jag shifters. :eek:

Nice, I like the exhaust tips never seen those on a NSX.:smile:

Thanks, they're 996 Turbo tips. N/A NSX owners should recognize them! :tongue:

Last edited:
Hello Curt,
Your NSX already looked great and in fantastic condition and now to see a dyno with those numbers, can only imagine what an rush it is. Congrats on the final product. Maybe will have to make it to the track on one of your trips to see it in action.

When I say thanks for sharing it's not just the details on your build. Think we're down to just a tune to see what my '91 can put out with your old BBSC set up. Then I can be happy for the both of us!

Greg

DSC_0327.jpg

Which rear diffuser did you go with & how did you get it to work with lovefab setup?

Pretty sure you still need the oem ecu for the drive by wire.

Nope. I'm pretty sure the FIC (piggyback) is the only way to retain the OBDII port. AEM EMS replaces the OEM ECU completely. Curt had an FIC but had to go with the EMS because of the high HP and tune.

Nope. I'm pretty sure the FIC (piggyback) is the only way to retain the OBDII port. AEM EMS replaces the OEM ECU completely. Curt had an FIC but had to go with the EMS because of the high HP and tune.

On an obd2 car you need the oem ecu for drive by wire - at least for the original. I have no idea of the port still works.

SOS site says

* although OBD2 system is maintained - this product is legal for racing vehicles for offroad use only. Not designed or intended for pollution controlled vehicles.

Last edited:
Hello Curt,
Your NSX already looked great and in fantastic condition and now to see a dyno with those numbers, can only imagine what an rush it is. Congrats on the final product. Maybe will have to make it to the track on one of your trips to see it in action.

When I say thanks for sharing it's not just the details on your build. Think we're down to just a tune to see what my '91 can put out with your old BBSC set up. Then I can be happy for the both of us!

Greg

Greg, wow you got more out of that set-up than I did but it was basically the second time that Dave had worked with the tune and when he did it originally several years ago on my car that was the first NSX that he had tuned. He had stayed away from NSX's because he felt that NSX owners were a prickly sort. He is friends with my little brother and my brother got him to open up a little. Just like my little brother is friends with Cody. My lil bro is an awesome dude.

So you got right at 400 WHP out of that set-up. I know that you will be happy with the power and its delivery. It will be perfect for you, congrats on the number, Source One did right by both of us on that deal. No surprise there!

Which rear diffuser did you go with & how did you get it to work with lovefab setup?

That's Blodi's diffuser. You can use it with the LoveFab and if you rotate the muffler canister optimally the diffuser will slide in under the can. Support Blodi if you can!

Anyone? Bueller?

Sorry for the delay- better to have the answer than to post that I was getting it and get it straight first.

I spoke with Chris at SOS last night and he confirmed that error codes do come through the ECU and the ODBII port.

What you don't get is a functional CEL. The series 2 kills the CEL functionality because Chris said that it would be on full time as a result of inputs that the ECU is no longer receiving- so the AEM S2 kills the CEL functionality. But you do pull stored codes in the traditional way- you just won't get the visual CEL notification.

Hope this helps!

Back