• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Front fender wheel opening to tire clearance issues on 1994 NSX

I have the KW-3 suspension system on my car with 225/40 X 17s on HRE 17 X8.5" 3 piece wheels on front, and 275/35 X 18s on HRE 18 X 10" 3 piece wheels on back. The rears fir perfectly with opening lip 1" above tires. The fronts, however, are a bi closer and interfere under cornering over bumps and entering driveways. There is no interference over bumps and humps if going straight.

I am looking at Carid's Duraflex MH Design front fenders as well as the Duraflex GT-300 front fenders. I need 3/8" more width and little if any height unless there is insufficient additional width to clear the tires. Any suggestions or pictures would be greatly appreciated. I am also considering the VIS Racing "Blaze" front bumper. How is its durability.

My body guy restores fine AMerican and European classics like older Ferrari Berlinettas; he does great work but warned be to be selective in choosing quality non-OEM body parts. Can anyone give me a clue as to what might be my best bet?

Thanks in advance

SHeldon P.

what tires? that 225/40 is a unusual size...that said if everything else is ok it may work....but what is your ride height on the kw and where is the tire rubbing?

I also have 225/40-17 and they rub a bit under certain conditions when the springs compress. I am on Comptech Sport suspension, which I believe is Koni shocks and some sort of lowering springs that put me about 1.5" down from stock.

It doesn't look like 225/40-17 are even available generally and my tires are aged out (7 years old with plenty of tread but little grip). So I was figuring to get 215/40-17 when I replace them and see if it's any better. I don't know my wheel offset but there are ~15 mm spacers to clear the large Porsche brakes. And it looks like it would rub on the top of the outer fender liner.

I also have 225/40-17 and they rub a bit under certain conditions when the springs compress. I am on Comptech Sport suspension, which I believe is Koni shocks and some sort of lowering springs that put me about 1.5" down from stock.

It doesn't look like 225/40-17 are even available generally and my tires are aged out (7 years old with plenty of tread but little grip). So I was figuring to get 215/40-17 when I replace them and see if it's any better. I don't know my wheel offset but there are ~15 mm spacers to clear the large Porsche brakes. And it looks like it would rub on the top of the outer fender liner.

Lol...who asked you:tongue: now lets get sheldon to reply in kind...

just breaking balls....:smile:

I have 215/40/17 on the fronts and they rub too, my cars been lowered and I'll be buying 215/35/17's shortly to see if that helps. Since it's only when sharp cornering into and out of parking spots, or when aggressive driving with force (track) I'm not worried about it. It's $100 for a new liner and it only ruins the fins............I have the smallest tires of anyone who posted here and they still rum so unless you go back to stock 16" fronts I think the problem is going to exist IMO

I think your prob is the 225/17, Im lowered on Ebachs as low as you can go, and I have 225/16 its the width that causing you to rub, when I use 215/16 I don't rub inless I am hitting a speed bump at 90 and the car bottoms out, and the rears I never rub at 255/17

I also have all my tires under inflated so I am sticky on the road. I take corners at 90 with out a increase in heart rate LOL

Run 215/40/17 and you should be fine, though it would probably match better for the TCS with a 265/35/18 rear.
Remember a 225/40/17 is both taller AND wider than a 215/40/17. It'll be really stretched, but should give you the clearance you're looking for.

One other thing to check is the wheel offset. 17x8.5" in around a +40 offset (+/- 4mm) should be ideal.

I also have all my tires under inflated so I am sticky on the road.

Huh?!?! Please, folks, DON'T underinflate your tires thinking you'll get BETTER grip. That only works on the rear at the drag strip. Underinflated tires will roll the shoulders over and just slide, slide, slide.

I take corners at 90 with out a increase in heart rate LOL

How large are these corners? :biggrin:

I have 225/40/17's in front that is lowered with Bilsteins and eibach springs. It rubs when I go past 7/8ths steering (making a u turn, etc). Car came with them, I will go to 215/40's when I replace them.

earth to Sheldon......

Back