• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Front Parking Lights Revisited

Swerve is just about complete with the heatsinks, and I will be assembling them soon.
For the people on the list, please let me know what connector do you want on the end. It will be either tab terminals that you insert into the stock connector of the harness, or a bulb type plug that will plug into the factory bulb socket.

Is one better then the other?

Not really, for the choices he has up. Both are susceptible to water damage if not protected some way, e.i. grease, electrical tape, etc.

I guess then the plug in one would do fine for me..

thanks

Put me down for whichever one swerve decides on for himself please.

Thanks for doing this.

Mark

made a test fit for first prototype over the weekend, few minor changes but they are being made as we speak.
fyi, once you receive the kit you will have to reuse the o-ring from the oem bulb or get a similar one.

count me in....if there is anymore left.

1. Jett
2. Doraemon
3. MJK
4. xory72
5. POWERED by HONDA
6. michl_moto
7. nsxman2001
8. swerve
9. fastraxturbo
10. sokudo88

thats it- no more left.

1. Jett
2. Doraemon
3. MJK
4. xory72
5. POWERED by HONDA
6. michl_moto
7. nsxman2001
8. swerve
9. fastraxturbo
10. sokudo88

thats it- no more left.

swerve,

Please take me off the list! That will now leave a spot open for someone else if they are wanting in on this group buy.

Unfortuantely I need to spend the money I had for this elsewhere right now.

Sorry

1. Jett
2. Doraemon
3. MJK
4. POWERED by HONDA
5. michl_moto
6. nsxman2001
7. swerve
8. fastraxturbo
9. sokudo88

one left to claim.

as a small customer we got pushed aside in manufacturing of the sinks- bigger projects pay bills. they are starting it back up now.

I haven't read the entire thread so i don't know if you have this figured out. Just trying to help.

The thermal epoxy is not a good idea for mounting the LED because it won't transfer heat very well. What you want to do is use thermal grease (like for cpu heatsinks) and nylon screws to hold the LED to the heatsink like below. You can use a 3021 buck puck driver with On-board Trim or external potentiometer to adjust the brightness.

You can also add a lens to get a wide or spot beam pattern and they are quite effective.

DSCF1611.jpg

Last edited:
I have tested different thermal epoxies, and found Arctic Silver to be comparable, if not better to standard silicone thermal greases. The design of the heatsink (less mass, more fins) proved to be more important in the transfer/dissipation of heat.

I have tested different thermal epoxies, and found Arctic Silver to be comparable, if not better to standard silicone thermal greases. The design of the heatsink (less mass, more fins) proved to be more important in the transfer/dissipation of heat.

Arctic silver is not an epoxy, it is a brand of thermal grease like i was speaking of before. Aside from that, arctic silver 5 is my choice when building PC's and also what i used on the LED's pictured above.

I should have called it thermal paste, old habits die hard. Paste doesn't mean adhesive.

Last edited:
Arctic Silver has many products including 2 thermal adhesives. The Silver adhesive and the Alumina adhesive. The later uses aluminum oxide and boron nitrate, but I havent tried that, as it was too hard to find and its relatively short shelf life.

You can have my slot if interested. I am busy with my motorcycle and need to direct my attention in that direction for the time being. Reply below and I will remove myself from the top slot and write you in.

This sure seems like a lot of fuss over a silly parking lamp. Superbrightleds.com has many 194 bulb options that just plug in the OEM socket. I've had them in for several years and over 100,000 miles with no issues whatsoever. The newest SMD type are really bright, I installed them in the rear replacing the license plate bulbs.

http://superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html

High power 194 SMDs:
wledhp-all.jpg

360 degree 194 SMDs:
wledhp360-all.jpg

They even have sockets and other crap if you still want to fark around with custom work.

194 Wedge Base Sockets:
T10S.jpg

PCB Lamps with 194 Wedge base:
u-pcb-wb3D.jpg

I don't know, I've had pretty bad luck with superbrightleds.com. Many of the items I bought for my car died within a couple months. At least, with this setup, you know it's a quality LED.

Back