• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My CarPC Install - Info, Pics, and RFC - Oh the Heat!

Trunk cooling came up in another thread, and as I'm currently entrenched in a battle against rear-end heat, I thought I'd share some of my experiences with my NSX CarPC.

First, a little background. CarPC's are nifty tools that can update a 15-year old car (or even an 05) back to gaget levels you'd want in a modern car. While offering all the features you'd find on a fully equiped headunit, the CarPC allows total flexibility and upgradablility. This flexibility comes at a price, since standard headunits are simpler and have less things that can go wrong. Introducing a PC into your system introduces a lot of complexity. There are certainly benefits for a standard headunit over a pc, and vice versa - no need to figure out what is better, since it depends on the what the user wants.

In the nsx, there's only a few spots available for locating a PC, and your choices are restricted by the size of the PC you choose. There are several form-factor options, ranging from ones that are standard DIN sizes, to Mac-Minis, mini-ITX based systems, Shuttles, Mocha/Cappucino, etc. The first PC I installed into my NSX was a Mocha PC. It's about the size of a mac mini, but has a P4.
http://www.cappuccinopc.com/mochae5042b.asp
mocha_5042.gif

It's small enough that you can fit it in the glovebox! I was able to tuck the wires in various crevices in such a manner that I could hook it up without needing to cut any holes in anything. Amazingly, even during long trips (6-8 hrs), it never overheated, even though it was enclosed in the glovebox the entire trip. Unfortunately, it required a 20V power supply, which is somewhat annoying to provide. My solution was to use an inverter to power a 120vac->20vdc adaptor from an old dell laptop. This worked fine, but added to the bulk necessary to run the computer. The glovebox was rendered essentially unusable, since it was full of electronices.

One issue that any carpc must deal with is turning on and off with the ignition. One option is to wire up relays to the serial port and set up autohibernation based on that. Another is to use a shutdown controller that performs the necessary functions. I bought one of these to control the Mocha, but its designed for any atx motherboard :
http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=58
microshutdown.gif

Basically the idea is the shutdown controller monitors the ignition wire - When it goes hot because you turned on the car, it supplies power to its output (connected to the power of the PC), and shorts the switch on the motherboard that tells the PC to turn on. When you turn the car off, after a configurable delay, the controller sends the signal to the PC to have it turn off (or hibernate). After the computer has had time to power down, the shutdown controller cuts power to it's output to prevent battery drain.

Unfortunately for me, my Mocha died shortly after introducing the uSDC to the system. At that point, I decided to switch form factors. First of all, it was going into the trunk, since I was tired of all the clutter in the cabin. Second of all it had to be expandable and comprised of standard components, since when the mocha stopped working, it turned into a worthless brick and I had to start from scratch. Since I already had a small-form factor Shuttle XPC, I decided to use that.

Locating a PC in the trunk introduces an entirely new set of obstacles to overcome. The first one to deal with is wiring. PC's use a lot of wires, but the most troublesome one for a carpc install is the monitor cable. the HD15 connector that most analog monitors use is MUCH larger than the holes that you'll find in the firewall between the engine bay and trunk/passenger compartments. Since my install is somewhat experimental and changes often, one rule is that everything has to be revertable back to stock. With that in mind, there's no way I was going to enlarge the holes so they were big enough to fit the VGA cable through. One option would be to try using a VGA over ethernet adaptor. They're not cheap, need to be powered, and don't always work well. They may work fine in this situation. Another option would be to run cable without the ends and then solder connectors on the ends (leaving plenty of slack or else having to solder IN the nsx?!?). Instead, I found a cable that had a detachable end, and some smaller round connectors that actually do fit through the existing holes. Cost is about 50 bux for the two pieces of the cable you need:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1068100&CatId=420
Make sure you run the video cable first, since it wont fit through later once the hole has other cables in it!

Here's a picture of all the cables that I fit through the hole on the passenger side.
trunk_to_engine_wiring_pass.jpg

These all run through the engine bay and into the cabin through the existing hole above the passenger's right shoulder:
engine_to_front_wiring.jpg

Power for the pc (and amp) use the hole on the drivers side, and connect to the fuse-box:
fusebox_wiring.jpg

Initially when I set up the Shuttle in the trunk, I used the 120V power supply that came with it, powered by a Coleman inverter. This seemed to work fine, but I experienced some strange behavior where the video screen would lose sync and go blank intermittently (but often enough to be a problem). The problem only occured when the engine was running. Because I was having problems with my shutdown controller (see this thread I started on mp3car.com for details : http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47109), I decided to purchase a 12v->12v regulated ATX power supply for the Shuttle. The Opus 150 I bought has a shutdown controller built in, so it ended up being exactly what I needed. Unfortunatly they're somewhat expensive, ~150 dollars. When I installed the Opus, I discovered that my video sync problems were gone as well! Somehow, the inverter was introducing some noise that would mess up the video signal! The lesson learned here is that it's worth it to just by a 12V regulated power supply rather than dealing with the Inverter and Shutdown controller. The cost isn't much more, and it's just a much cleaner and efficient power solution. I still use the inverter to power stuff in the cabin, and have no problems with it introducing noise - only when it was powering the PC.

Still with me?? I know this is getting lengthy, but it's been a long learning experience trying out a lot of different stuff over the last 9 months!

The next major hurdle to overcome is one that is shared with anyone who wants to locate things in their NSX trunk - HEAT! The trunk is adorned with a nice vent, covered by a rubber flap, which allows the trunk to close, since otherwise you'd be trying to compress a sealed volume. This vent leads into the fender. The side air intake behind the passenger door flows back to the engine bay fan, and continues all the way back to this vent. Merely placing a fan over this vent is a futile effort, since there needs to be somewhere to draw fresh air in.

One way to create an intake is to drill holes in your trunk in a strategic location so that air flows in and over the components to be cooled. I couldn't believe it when this antenna installer drilled into my new (to me) car to install some crappy replacement antenna. It happened too fast before I realized what had happened! I wasn't going to drill more holes, so I came up with this as a possible solution:
old_duct.jpg
old_duct_rear.jpg

old_duct_installed.jpg

The idea here is that the 120mm fan is pushing hot air out the vent, while the side of the vent has a seperate port, allowing air to return, creating an exchange of air between the trunk and the fender. The obvious flaw is that the 'fresh' air is being pulled from the same place that the air is being exhausted to. I hoped that the side intake would provide outside air to the fender, allowing for some cooling of the air in the fender to take place.

This setup worked fairly well, but failed on hot days. After doing some reasearch on overclocking Shuttles (to learn advanced cooling techniques), I severely modified the Shuttle case. Here's a list of some of the modifications:

Removed front panel
Dremeled restrictive grill off over rear radiator
Removed stock 80MM exhaust fan, added ultra-thick 120MM fan with a 80-120 adaptor, dremeled to fit and reversely configured as an intake so that air is pulled in from the rear
Added 60MM fan placed over CPU block
Reversed HD orientation so thick 120MM fan would fit
Added squirrel cage blower to front to exhaust air
Added dual-fan HD cooler
Internalized front USB ports, added USB TV/FM tuner and bluetooth internally
External antenna for PCI wifi card

shuttle_top_right.jpg

shuttle_front.jpg

shuttle_top_left.jpg

Squirrel Blower:
nsx_squirrel_fan.jpg

I attached an 80MM duct to the rear of the pc (which is now setup as an intake), and ran that duct to the vent. This sucks in 'fresh' air from the fender. I placed a squirrel cage blower in the opening which blows hot air into the fender to be mixed with cooler air. Here's what it looks like installed:
nsx_trunk.jpg

I added a crossflow fan to the corner of the trunk, check it out in the upper right corner of this picture:
trunk_crossflow.jpg

Fresh air flows in the rear of the pc, out the front and to the side, then from the corner back to towards the vent, then through the squirrel blower out the vent! There's an actual path for air to flow, wow!

This setup works very well under almost all circumstances. However, on very hot days, after a couple hours of driving (so the system is hot), if I get stuck in traffic, the PC overheats and turns off. I believe that this is because there is no fresh air being driven into the fender when the car isn't moving. I have upgraded the system a bit since my last extended daytime drive (upgraded 80 to 120mm fan, front squirrel and crossflow fan, hd cooler, cpu block fan), so I expect some slightly better heat numbers with the current setup. However, I think that I will still run into problems on hot days when stuck at a standstill.

Here's what I think are my options for solving the remaining heat issue in the trunk. I could run a hose from the side intake on the passenger side all the way back to the air intake for the pc, which would guarantee a constant supply of fresh air, even when the car is stopped. Alternatively, I think that perhaps if I switch on the engine bay fan, then that might pull enough fresh air into the fender to keep the PC alive. Does anyone know of a convienient place to tap into the fan speed sensor? It's my understanding that grounding this should engage the fan, but when I looked at my fan, I only saw two wires running to it.

Any other ideas would be great, I'm open to any suggestions fellow nsxers may have!

Congrats if you made it all the way through, that ended up being way too long, and I even left out a lot (input devices, software, etc)! There's many more details that I'd be happy to go into, so feel free to ask!

-Josh

*disclaimers - There are many ways to build a system, and this is only one method. I don't claim that it's the best, but it works for me. You may think this is over the edge, but I'm a techy guy that breathes computers all day, so it's practically a requirement for me to outfit my daily driver like this. Distractions while driving are very dangerous, always use extra caution and NEVER watch videos while the car is in motion! Be sure you are aware of the laws regarding video screens for your state, etc. etc. etc.

I'm sorry but am I missing something here?? So you keep mentioning the added features of the CarPC, any picture showing us the result and what exactly the features of the PC?? PC that can control the Stereo system? Able to go on nsxprime.com and chat with neo in your nsx?? or even managing the piggy back computer for timing and other vital info of the car??? or, dumping oil, shooting missle, analyzing evidence aka, james bond's / Michael Knight's gadget??

Do you mount a big keyboard as the patrol car?

NSXDreamer2 said:
I'm sorry but am I missing something here?? So you keep mentioning the added features of the CarPC, any picture showing us the result and what exactly the features of the PC?? PC that can control the Stereo system? Able to go on nsxprime.com and chat with neo in your nsx?? or even managing the piggy back computer for timing and other vital info of the car??? or, dumping oil, shooting missle, analyzing evidence aka, james bond's / Michael Knight's gadget??

Do you mount a big keyboard as the patrol car?

mmm, yes it can do all those things and more :)

I tried to start with the technical details. It's still a work in progress, but has come far enough along that it's very usable, as long as it's not too hot.

I'll make an update with details on the front. But I primarily use a tiny usb thumb keyboard velcro'd to the shift-pattern on the console, and a stowaway fold out bluetooth keyboard. Going to pick up a griffin powermate too. Xenarc 700TSV touchscreen in the navpod for mousing.

Current functions include Mp3/GPSNav/GPRS Internet/Wifi/wardriving/multi-channel video recording/DVD/video

planned funtions include: V1 Computer Integration, automatic gps logging uploads, anything else i can think of :)

-Josh

Quick update:

Pulled out the Shuttle, that Athlon just runs too hot.

Took a microATX case and chopped it up so that it fits inside the fender. Put a microATX VIA mobo/cpu that I had laying around. It only runs at 800mhz, so I figured it would generate less heat. The case fits in very nicely without sticking out.

I removed the ducting and fans - no forced airflow in/out of the trunk, but the rubber flap is removed.

I have had zero overheating issues! I drove to Vegas a couple weekends ago, and upon arrival I got a burger at in-n-out and ate it in the parking lot while the CPU temp went as high as 82c! Amazingly, no crashing! I think this system works pretty well, the only drawback is it's a bit slow. But no additional venting is needed, so that's a good plus. I did beef up the internal cooling quite a bit though.

I picked up another microATX mobo/cpu, this time with a mobile athlon 2600+. Runs much faster, but will it run cool enough? We'll see!

Pics of the new PC install will follow, but here's one of the interior:

attachment.php

USB keyboard, stick mouse. Cointray has momentary switch for the garage door opener, toggle switch to turn on inverter, and a toggle switch to disable the pc. I also externalized the knob on my Philips Aurilium USB soundcard and placed it in the cointray . link to soundcard: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000ULADG/ref=e_deav_acc_1_0/002-2706660-8996034?_encoding=UTF8
I had a Griffin Powermate knob, but the delay on it was horrible. The knob on the soundcard takes immediate effect. Now I can take the OEM headunit out of the loop entirely!

-Josh

Joshs said:
Quick update:
Took a microATX case and chopped it up so that it fits inside the fender. Put a microATX VIA mobo/cpu that I had laying around. It only runs at 800mhz, so I figured it would generate less heat. The case fits in very nicely without sticking out.

Pics?

Did you consider liquid cooling for the PC like the systems that Koolance makes? Even though it still requires air flow, its at a dramatically reduced rate compared to a pure air-cooled system.

I swapped out the 800mhz Via Samuel for a Mobile Athlon 2600+. There's a 72w, and a 35w version of the mobile Athlons, and mine's the 72w version - so it'll run a bit hotter than the other. I may swap in a 35w if I have issues with this one. The operating range is rated up to 90c, which seems pretty good. I tested it without the cpu fan and it's stable up to 75c when the protection kicks in. I'll probably disable the protection if it kicks in during normal operation. Hopefully I can keep the temps low enough. Waiting for the next hot day...

Pics of the install:
Pic 1: Gutted microATX case with VIA processor

Pic 2: Same case with biostar mobo and mobile athlon processor. This PC uses a laptop hard drive instead of the prior's 3.5" drive. There some extra space in the case now, so it could certainly be a bit smaller.

Pic 3 & 4: The case slid into the fender. Its a very tight fit, but it goes in all the way up to the inside of the fender area. It does stick out just a tad at the top, but overall the fit is acceptable for me. a case that used half-height cards wouldn't stick out at all. I plan on covering it with some carpet.

-Josh

Attachments

• gen2carpc.jpg
    gen2carpc.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 518
  • gen3carpc.jpg
    gen3carpc.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 503
  • gen3carpc_installed_angle1.jpg
    gen3carpc_installed_angle1.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 573
  • gen3carpc_installed_angle2.jpg
    gen3carpc_installed_angle2.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 511
NSXROX said:
Did you consider liquid cooling for the PC like the systems that Koolance makes? Even though it still requires air flow, its at a dramatically reduced rate compared to a pure air-cooled system.

Water-cooling has certainly crossed my mind, but adds additional complexity on top of an already complex system, not to mention extra bulk. For a water cooled system, I was thinking the radiator could go in the engine bay. The air-cooled systems seem simpler, but that may be because I don't have much experience building water-cooling systems. I've done a few though. Who knows, maybe eventually I'll try one in the car :)

-Josh

pardon the apparent stupidity, but wouldn't a laptop make more sense for heat mgmt and size? Even an old/slow one with a mobile processor would probably get along fine. Add a bluetooth gyro mouse and you are good.

Why Why Why?!?

White94 said:
pardon the apparent stupidity, but wouldn't a laptop make more sense for heat mgmt and size? Even an old/slow one with a mobile processor would probably get along fine. Add a bluetooth gyro mouse and you are good.

^ditto! :redface:

White94 said:

Laptops are certainly an option. However they don't necessarily solve the heat issue, since they're not normally operated ambient temps as high as what you find in the trunk. Also, they leave no room for upgrading the cooling, which is important if you're going to be running in hot ambient air.

My current setup is essentially a laptop without the case and screen - It's a mobile processor connected to a laptop hard drive. but because it's built from components, I have room for a .8a 120mm delta fan that keeps it 'cool'. These components were relatively cheap, a laptop with equal capabilites would have cost more.

-Josh

Pacemaker Kid89 said:
You know, you can buy a car computer.

http://www.autoaccessorystore.com/home.asp?dir=detail&id=772

Perfect for heat and size.

That's a good solution if you want a single-din sized pc for your dash.

However, its $1400! And it's pretty slow. My gen2 system had a Via C3 1200, which is probably about the same speed as this one. It ran cool enough, but was too slow for my tastes.

Here's the specs of the one from autoaccessorystore.com:
CPU VIA C3 Nehemiah 1Ghz
RAM DDR 256MB
HDD 2.5" 20GB Hard Drive
ODD DVD Rom Drive Tray Loaded

compare that to mine:
CPU Mobile Athlon 2600 $95 for cpu+mobo
Ram DDR400 512mb $50
HDD 2.5" 60GB $60
ODD SlimDVD-r in external housing $70+$50
Opus powersupply $150
mATX Case to hack $35

$510

So if you want a single-din, slower, pre-built solution and you're willing to pay for it, the pc from autoaccessorystore.com is an option. Looking at this comparison, it's easy to see why I'd rather build one from scratch. Many people probably aren't willing to spend the time to build their own, but I am. There are several other pre-built solutions available on the market that are cheaper and faster than the autoaccessorystore.com one. The Mocha pc I started with (pictured in the first post) had a p4 and was even less then single-din sized. Those only cost like $800 new I think.

-Josh

Quick update, pics will follow:

Now running a AMD64 3000+. I actually had the microATX mobo and a64 cpu laying around, picked up on special months ago. After learning about the a64's undervolting abilites, I decided to give it a try. I've got it undervolted at 1.25v instead of the stock 1.65v, running at default speeds. I could probably run it at even lower voltage if I undercloced it as well. (see this article for some interesting data on undervolting/clocking the A64: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1798&page=1)

It runs EXTREMELY cool, and draws hardly any power at all, on par with a lower power mobile system. In the house, I can almost run it without any cpu fan at all! For in the car, I picked up a super-powerful delta fans that pump out around 115CFM for cooling, mounted on top of the CPU heatsink.. Its loud but that doesn't matter since the engine itself is louder.

I built my own case from scratch using a LUBIC kit. Its basically a bunch of extruded aluminum with connectors. The case now fits in wonderfully inside the fender. I created a board to cover it, now I just need a piece of carpet to cover it and it you wont even know its there.

Pics soon!

Anyone have a spare piece of OEM carpet? It doesnt need to be very large, about the size of the OEM molded carpet piece, but flat..

-Josh

A few updated pics:

carpc1.jpg

Since switching to this super high CFM fan on an undervolted athlon 64 I have had no heat issues. We'll see how it holds up this summer. I've removed all ductwork, the only fan in the system is the fan located over the CPU

carpc2.jpg

The PC is installed inside the overhang of the trunk lip. I uses a Phillips Aurilum external sound card with the volume knob extended to the coin tray in the console. Hardware MPEG encoder board hot-glued into PCI-slot, connected to forward facing cabin camera & microphone (<a href="http://logarhythm.net/nsx/short_drive.mpg">sample video from camera, 37 megs</a>)

carpc4.jpg

Now I just need a nice cover for it. I fashioned one out of thin MDF that I plan on covering with carpet. Lately I've been thinking about doing it out of plexiglass instead, since it lights up nicely.. Hrm..

carpc3.jpg

-Josh

me3

I am really keen on doing this as well... :cool:

A tucked-away car-PC that I can use for my music/video playback, audio/visual recording & storage, GPS Sat./Nav., vehicle diagnostics (weight, lateral-G, etc'..), trip computer, Valentine One radar, and other things.

My desire is to keep the OEM head-unit and either use the NSX-Nav. pod or someother lcd display that wouldn't ruin the ergonomics of the interior (ie. slim, rect. screen above center vents, ashtray-stowage, etc'...).

demigod said:
Anyone know about these car pc's? I was thinking about doing it in my car.

https://logisysus.ourinternet.us/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=99&products_id=464

I have no direct experience with that particular package, but I'll give you my thoughts based on the specs listed:

CPU - a little on the slow side, comparable to one of my earlier systems using the VIA C3 cpu (1.3ghz). While it's slow compared to modern desktops, there is certainly enough processing capability to do what you need (depending on how you define 'need'), if you're careful about what you run and set it up properly (nLite'd windows system, linux, etc). I tend to be a 'power user', so that just wasn't fast enough for me.

Power - I would go with the direct wire with automatic shutdown. You can also buy an atx power supply with these features built-in.

Otherwise, the specs seem pretty reasonable for a basic carpc. It's pre-built, so you're paying a bit more for that then if you assembled the pieces together, but if having the complete package is worth it to you, there's nothing wrong with that. The case looks pretty good, can't be much smaller and still allow a PCI card and internal optical drive.

Really my biggest concern is with the cpu/ram speed, and also the location you plan on mounting it (heat). If you're careful with what you use it for, the relatively modest speed will be just fine. If your budget can swing it, I'd recommend something with a bit more oomph - but that's not without it's difficulties :)

-Josh

Re: me3

Osiris_x11 said:
I am really keen on doing this as well... :cool:

A tucked-away car-PC that I can use for my music/video playback, audio/visual recording & storage, GPS Sat./Nav., vehicle diagnostics (weight, lateral-G, etc'..), trip computer, Valentine One radar, and other things.

My desire is to keep the OEM head-unit and either use the NSX-Nav. pod or someother lcd display that wouldn't ruin the ergonomics of the interior (ie. slim, rect. screen above center vents, ashtray-stowage, etc'...).

This is pretty much the same philosophy I've been following.

No permanent mods - other than a pierced grommet, a couple holes in the phone-button-hole/coin-tray, and one of the fuse box covers, everthing I've done is reversable. I tend to swap things around too much, so its a good rule to follow.

Retain the clean stock look - My OEM headunit sits there unused, adding weight. I think eventually I'd like to get a 'stereo delete' console, as long as i can retain the ashtray - maybe i'll just get one of the type-r stereo plate replications available.

I really like some of the sweet custom jobs out there, but since that's not really in my skillset, sticking to stealth mods suits my abilities better :)

So far (when working) my carpc does everything in your list except for OBD1/diags (Centrafuse supports OBD2 though) and a trip computer (should easy enough with the proper software, possibly part of some gps nav programs?) After the current carpc rebuild, and the latest version of Centrafuse (that came out yesterday), the carpc is running better than ever. Stuttering problems that I suspected were the CarPC's fault actually went away with the latest software upgrade. We'll see how it lasts! Recording video is no problem again, now I just need a bigger hard drive :)

-Josh

I kept toying with the idea of putting a PC in my car but the way you have to do it now is less than ideal. You'll never match the power and flexibility of having a PC in the car though. But head units are getting better and better. Now a lot of them have bluetooth, NAV, TV tuner, xvid/divx/mp4 decoding, external media control, etc. all built in. It's just nice to have that in an all in one appliance, especially for space constrained cars like the NSX.

There are some cool PCs you can choose from now though. The Mac Mini was one I almost bought but stayed away from because it's a Mac. Aopen came out with a virtual clone of the Mac but it'll cost you more. Then soon to come are some ultra small form factor PCs. The Mini still looks like the best option for now. When the new Intel Merom CPU starts shipping you will have a ton of CPU power at your disposal... Time to buy some puts on AMD :)

Malibu Rapper said:
I kept toying with the idea of putting a PC in my car but the way you have to do it now is less than ideal. You'll never match the power and flexibility of having a PC in the car though. But head units are getting better and better. Now a lot of them have bluetooth, NAV, TV tuner, xvid/divx/mp4 decoding, external media control, etc. all built in. It's just nice to have that in an all in one appliance, especially for space constrained cars like the NSX.

There are some cool PCs you can choose from now though. The Mac Mini was one I almost bought but stayed away from because it's a Mac. Aopen came out with a virtual clone of the Mac but it'll cost you more. Then soon to come are some ultra small form factor PCs. The Mini still looks like the best option for now. When the new Intel Merom CPU starts shipping you will have a ton of CPU power at your disposal... Time to buy some puts on AMD :)

I have to agree that the mac mini is very well suited to carpc duty, except that the frontend/nav/etc software isn't as developed in general for the mac. There are a few mac-based carpc programs, but no where near as many as what's available for PC. CarPCs are still in their relative infancy, and as you mention, there will be some great options available in the next few years.

The cappucino/mocha type PCs (see first post) are pretty similar in capability to the minis but are intel based (get windows running on a new intel-based mac-mini and I may switch then!). I wish the Mocha I have (my first attempt at carpc) still worked, it could have saved me lots of time. But at least at the end of 4 iterations, I have a small, 64-bit (ok that's mostly pointless) *cool* running, low power consumption, yet powerful and expandable carpc.

I wouldn't recommend in general that people bother messing with a full-blown carpc unless they are willing to put in some time getting it working (or pay to have it professionally installed). Personally I enjoy it, so I don't mind doing it myself and learning along the way. But I've had to deal with some long drives with no music due to malfunctions. That's not so bad though, I just listen to the engine music :)

-Josh

Joshs said:
I have to agree that the mac mini is very well suited to carpc duty, except that the frontend/nav/etc software isn't as developed in general for the mac. There are a few mac-based carpc programs, but no where near as many as what's available for PC. CarPCs are still in their relative infancy, and as you mention, there will be some great options available in the next few years.
josh

wow, now with bootcamp, if I had to rebuild, i'd very likely do it with a mini! i suck at investing :p

-Joshs

There are some tint pinhole all weather cameras available cheap these days. Has anyone thought of the option of having 3 or 4 of these mounted strategicaly in the car and having the hard drive record video when you leave your car? it is great proof if someone ever messes with your car, keys it, tries to steal it, throws their drink at it, etc...

with the wireless coverage now available in most metropolitan cities you could even have network cams and constantly monitor your car and its surroundings with any web enabled device. Computer at your office, mobile PDA, etc.

TURBO2GO said:
There are some tint pinhole all weather cameras available cheap these days. Has anyone thought of the option of having 3 or 4 of these mounted strategicaly in the car and having the hard drive record video when you leave your car? it is great proof if someone ever messes with your car, keys it, tries to steal it, throws their drink at it, etc...

with the wireless coverage now available in most metropolitan cities you could even have network cams and constantly monitor your car and its surroundings with any web enabled device. Computer at your office, mobile PDA, etc.

An a video-protection system is 'do-able', but you better have a phat battery hooked up in a 'tank circuit'.

-Josh

Back