• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Front Refresh?

Renderings of varying front fascia refresh have been popping up online.
refresh_right.jpg

front3.jpg

refresh.jpg

The 'Where Are All The Production Deliveries' thread seemed to point in the direction that a refresh will occur. In these artist renditions, the most notable changes are the omission of the beak and stamped hexagonal grill mesh, as well as new anterior angles of the headlights, and posterior angles of the brake air inlet ducts. So while not official, it will probably look something similar which seems rather reasonable given the new MDX, RDX, and ILX etc. have all been moving towards the Jan 2016 Precision Concept.

precision.jpg

Considering how many 91-01 owners updated their fronts to 02-05, it will be interesting to see how many '17-'18 owners will opt to update their front fascia with a MY19 or MY20 potential refresh look. I suppose it will all just depend on if they like it more than the beak or not.

The 'WAATPD' thread again indicated that it's to help match the rest of the new lineup that have front emblems that measure 6-6.5" in diameter (I personally hope they don't go that big).

emblem_lr.jpg

comparo.jpg

i dont think the large emblem will move to the grille unless they add ACC to the NSX.

the 3rd render is probably the closest to what i would guess its going to look like. however, i think they will retain the lower side intakes.

Imho it is starting to look more like a sedan front fascia..:confused:

Why does Acura not focus on making a gorgeous front-end--like the HSC, 360, 430, 458, 2JZ Supra--instead of bolting on a garish sedan grille? Take the HSC front-end and it makes the NSX 2.0 look 100X more exotic ! NSX 1.0 never even had a Acura Legend grille, or the grille from the Vigor, or the grille from the TL--in fact it had no grille whatsoever...! It looked like an exotic car not a mutant coupe...

Car companies seem to have become obsessed with grill branding.

Look at Lexus with the stupid spindle grill (which the LFA never had).

I like the new front grille, big logo and all. On my TLX, it seems well proportioned to me in real life. It makes sense for Acura to update to the new corporate grille.

BANG on

Why does Acura not focus on making a gorgeous front-end--like the HSC, 360, 430, 458, 2JZ Supra--instead of bolting on a garish sedan grille? Take the HSC front-end and it makes the NSX 2.0 look 100X more exotic ! NSX 1.0 never even had a Acura Legend grille, or the grille from the Vigor, or the grille from the TL--in fact it had no grille whatsoever...! It looked like an exotic car not a mutant coupe...

yes :smile:

I'm okay with the NSX moving to the new corporate grille, but those renderings look horrible. They remind me of a cow-catcher on the front of a locomotive. Certainly Michelle can do better?

They should leave the front end as it is. This makes the car look blunt and heavy. Spend the money on some of the things owners are saying are needed. Folding mirrors, better selection of colours, the ability to raise the ride height etc.

i dont think the large emblem will move to the grille unless they add ACC to the NSX.
Curious as to why just that reason? The 2014 RLX has ACC w/tennis ball size emblem. Couldn't they add ACC anyways w/out going full ping-pong paddle?
ping-pong.jpg

I'm okay with the NSX moving to the new corporate grille, but those renderings look horrible. They remind me of a cow-catcher on the front of a locomotive. Certainly Michelle can do better?

In Aug '16, Topspeed said the "cow-catcher" grill (as you called it) as seen on the Precision Concept (and 1st rendering) was actually penned at the Acura Design Studio in CA by the same people who crafted the NSX and was described as a model that "will literally shape the direction of all future Acura products" as the more distinctive future for Acura design. So what's to keep the NSX immune to this migration? But I still hope you're right, and that they will do better...if it happens.

More ugly.
lol

They should leave the front end as it is. This makes the car look blunt and heavy. Spend the money on some of the things owners are saying are needed. Folding mirrors, better selection of colours, the ability to raise the ride height etc.

Yes other than add the new corporate grille tastefully.

Agree also.

Those renditions look really bad to me. How about a badge delete option?

Anybody with the slightest common sense would never do this: Fugly Honda prototype.jpg

It not difficult to design a gorgeous front end for a halo sports car ... The problem with the NSX nose lies with the fact that it doesn't have a wedge shape ... It would be possible to rework it and make it worthy of a real exotic supercar ...

Personally, I am not a major fan of corporate grills. I think corporate grills limit or hinder the designer's imagination. For example, a BMW always has to have the infamous kidney grills. A Porsche 911 will always have it's classic roof line shape. Deviating from those and the public may says "it's no longer a 911" or "that's not a BMW".

Take for example the mid 90's line up for Acura where we did not have a corporate grill. Instead they were designed to fit their needs or market. The large/mid sedans (RL & TL) were mild and for those who wanted to fly under the radar with luxury. The CL, being a coupe, had a little more edge yet still mature. The Integra with quad round highlights stood out in the crowd to draw young buyer's attention and persuade them into the Acura market. The NSX was simply a halo car which serves it's own purpose for the brand. We can skip the SLX.

To my point, I feel that our roads today are boring because all the cars look too similar to each other. I miss the days when each model had it's own uniqueness and you know it was an Acura or what-have-you because of it's own character not because of a corporate grill that was slap on each and every model.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Acura, you have terrible design features. There isn’t a single car other than the nsx I would even consider buying.

View attachment 154352

Personally, I am not a major fan of corporate grills. I think corporate grills limit or hinder the designer's imagination. For example, a BMW always has to have the infamous kidney grills. A Porsche 911 will always have it's classic roof line shape. Deviating from those and the public may says "it's no longer a 911" or "that's not a BMW".

Take for example the mid 90's line up for Acura where we did not have a corporate grill. Instead they were designed to fit their needs or market. The large/mid sedans (RL & TL) were mild and for those who wanted to fly under the radar with luxury. The CL, being a coupe, had a little more edge yet still mature. The Integra with quad round highlights stood out in the crowd to draw young buyer's attention and persuade them into the Acura market. The NSX was simply a halo car which serves it's own purpose for the brand. We can skip the SLX.

To my point, I feel that our roads today are boring because all the cars look too similar to each other. I miss the days when each model had it's own uniqueness and you know it was an Acura or what-have-you because of it's own character not because of a corporate grill that was slap on each and every model.

Don't forget the R8, Mercedes AMG GT-R, F-Type SVR, etc, all supercars that carry corporate grills. I kind of agree that the corporate grills do somewhat limit the designer's imagination for the front end, but at the same time, when it comes to halo/supercars, I think that corporate grills provide an extra challenge for the designers to incorporate and actually make them look nice. If all they did was slap in a straight copy of the grill from their mainstream sedans and SUVs into their halo/supercar (kind of what most of the above renderings do), then that would be a horrible job by them. Take the current NSX...The designers actually did a fantastic job of incorporating the "beak" and made it look nice. (They made it much smaller, more angular, and moved the Acura logo to the hood instead of leaving it in the grill.) The only thing is that it is chrome so it does stand out in certain colors, but blacking it out or making it carbon fiber fixes that easily. Ultimately though, I would prefer that each model had it's own uniqueness (especially the halo models), and didn't have to have a corporate grill for the sake of brand identity. (LFA is a perfect example.)

Last edited:
I think what those of us who feel the renderings are fugly are trying to say is for a midengine supercar the front need not carry a giant badge to project the brand..look at Ferrari/lambo/Macleran they have done without ..seems acura wants to copy Mercedes/BMW/Jaguar ....again they are lost as to how to brand the halo car.

I think what those of us who feel the renderings are fugly are trying to say is for a midengine supercar the front need not carry a giant badge to project the brand..look at Ferrari/lambo/Macleran they have done without ..seems acura wants to copy Mercedes/BMW/Jaguar ....again they are lost as to how to brand the halo car.
Close... But Acura has copied Cadillac. Sit behind any new age caddy and the pointy rear end shows it ugly arse...

I really hope they don't put that grill and badge on the NSX. Besides, don't they put all that forward looking collision avoidance stuff behind it. As it is the new NSX doesn't have any of that nonsense.

Anybody with the slightest common sense would never do this: View attachment 154339

MY EYES! *vomits violently* Sorry, that rendering has made me ill every time I’ve seen it. The Beak, I mean Power Plenum, is leaving, why remind us of it? LOL. I’ll take the SuperAcura grille any day of the week compared to that.

Back